Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Reds GM Dan O'Brien is expected to be fired this winter..."

Post To Contact

"Reds GM Dan O'Brien is expected to be fired this winter..."

...according to sources close to president John Allen, and will be replaced by either Twins executive Wayne Krivsky or former Mets GM Jim Duquette."

Fun factoid for you, that quote is from the USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/c...e-report_x.htm

Same article has a revisit of the Griffey-White Sox news, including saying that Griffey is believed to be interested to go there should the deal come up again this month.
    “[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.” - Mike Tyson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "Reds GM Dan O'Brien is expected to be fired this winter..."

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I dont foresee DanO popping up as a GM anywhere else afterwards either

Duquette...he of the Kazmir for Zambrano trade?

Great. He'll trade Dunn for Jeremy Burnitz.

I'll be happy with Krivsky.

Not so sure about Jim Duquette....Wasn't he merely the interim GM in New York before Minaya was hired?

Did he make any trades of note?
    Pray for Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Duquette...he of the Kazmir for Zambrano trade?

Great. He'll trade Dunn for Jeremy Burnitz.
    Please tell me that was Minaya that made that deal.
    Pray for Rain.

Jim Duquette? Jim Duquette? The same Jim Duquette that traded Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano? Please no. Hire Krivsky, Chris Antonetti, or Josh Byrnes.

This was at the bottom of that article.

EARS WIDE OPEN

Cincinnati Reds center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. talked to his family last weekend and says he may be open to accepting a trade to the Chicago White Sox, if he clears waivers.

The White Sox and Reds completed a deal before the non-waiver deadline that would have sent outfielder Chris Young, first baseman Casey Rogowski and prospects to Cincinnati for Griffey. The trade included the Reds picking up at least $15 million of Griffey's remaining $41.5 million through 2008. But after the deal was completed and approved by White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf and Reds president John Allen, Reds owner Carl Lindner nixed the deal the following day.

Six high-ranking White Sox and Reds officials, including those close to Reinsdorf and Allen, confirmed the deal. The teams plan to revisit the deal if Lindner changes his mind.

"Junior is open to the possibility," said Brian Goldberg, Griffey's agent. "Originally, it caught us by surprise because we didn't know anything about it until we read it. We originally gave the Reds three teams that we would accept a deal (believed to be the Yankees, Braves and Astros), but that's not to say we wouldn't listen to the White Sox.

"Junior's first reaction is that the town is fine, the organization is fine, the people that run the organization are fine, but the only issue is that he'll be spending six weeks in Tucson (the White Sox's spring-training site in Arizona). But that doesn't preclude us from listening. And he will listen."
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Please tell me that was Minaya that made that deal.
    Nope. Sorry. It was Duquette. Minaya was still in Montreal, and Phillips had been canned.

I'm the same way. Krivisky would be just fine with me. Not sure about Duquette though.

Post To Contact

Just from what I gather from all different directions, both new ownership and a new GM is expected to be in place this winter, which is why O'Brien got the edict to ONLY deal Randa and Aurilia if possible this year. Everyone else noteable on the team has their near future locked by contract in the Reds organization whether for the better or not. John Allen seems quite keen of trading Griffey, which is why I can see him maybe getting dealt in this waiver period. Otherwise, long awaited changes will happen in the offseason if they finally do.
    “[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.” - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Donkey
    Just from what I gather from all different directions, both new ownership and a new GM is expected to be in place this winter, which is why O'Brien got the edict to ONLY deal Randa and Aurilia if possible this year. Everyone else noteable on the team has their near future locked by contract in the Reds organization whether for the better or not. John Allen seems quite keen of trading Griffey, which is why I can see him maybe getting dealt in this waiver period. Otherwise, long awaited changes will happen in the offseason if they finally do.
    Are you thinking majority ownership changes, or just someone buying the 51 or whatever % of the team that's up for sale?

My question is will Lindner still be making the decisions come Spring Training 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Are you thinking majority ownership changes, or just someone buying the 51 or whatever % of the team that's up for sale?

My question is will Lindner still be making the decisions come Spring Training 2006?
    As I understand it, Lindner has given those who want to buy the minority shares an ultimatum. Either they buy everything, or he buys everything.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

Are we seeing the light at the end of the tunnel?
    Pray for Rain.

Krivsky please..PLEASE.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Donkey
    What are the chances of John Allen keeping his job if Lindner sells?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?