Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: answering machine pet peeves

answering machine pet peeves

ok, so it's sunday afternoon, and i'm just relaxing, watching tv with my eyelids closed...the phone rings and wakes me up...there is no way for me to get to the phone before the answering machine picks up, so i mute the tv to listen to the message...it's my aunt...the one who always leaves a message, but never says anything...it's always something like it's aunt lee, call me when you get a chance...is it really too much to ask someone to give you a hint as to what they want? i mean really, spend the extra 15 seconds to tell me something...

while i'm at it...i have a cousin, who is a teacher, and she always leaves me the teacher/student relationship message...it's always something like "call me back so i know you got this message"...now, why do i have to call you so you know i got the message...you called my house and got my machine...why wouldn't i get the message? i'm not one of you students that needs to be given an assignment...

oh well, maybe i'm just grouchy for being waken up from a nap...time to take a shower and get the paper...gametime in a couple hours...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: answering machine pet peeves

My mom's just like your aunt. She always calls and leaves a message that says nothing. I've turned into a real pain when she does it because I won't return her call if there isn't a purpose to the message. If it's 'call me when you have a minute' then I won't. If it's 'call me because I need to know what happened to my microwave' I might help her out.

As for calling myself, I don't I'm an emailer, it's the 21st century, people should check email about 90 times a day. I'm always sure to make offers for dinner, or a ball game via email, if they don't check it more than once a week, they are out of luck.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

My m-i-l always starts her messages to us with "I don't know if you are there or not". Well of course you don't, you're several hours away from us.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

My M-I-L always YELLS into the machine....

HELLO! HELLO! ANYONE THERE? HELLO HELLO! ANYONE THERE! HELLO, HELLO, HELLO! Same thing every time. Then we hear here telling grandpa in the background - "I don't think anyone is at home!"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

I have voice mail with the phone company so you can't hear anyone untill you play it back, my daughter in law knows but she still yells, "Don, if your in there pick up the phone" I didn't know anyone had recorders anymore, thought everyone had voice mail. It's much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    I didn't know anyone had recorders anymore, thought everyone had voice mail. It's much nicer.
    i had voicemail at one point in time...no one understood that i couldn't hear the message as it was being left on the recorder...frankly, it just confused everyone even more so i got rid of it...

I guess I'm different, but I like the quick, "Hi, this is XXXX, give me a call".

I really get annoyed by long, drawn out messages.

And I have some friends that are lazy and screen calls, so they get the "Hey, pick up the phone if you're there..."
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I have some friends that use this for their voice mail recording:

"Hello? Hellllooooo? (pause for a few seconds)...........Oh, I was just kidding. I'm not really here. Leave a message."

Gets me every stinking time!
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

My parents had Spock on their machine for awhile, got me laughing so hard I couldn't leave a message
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    I have some friends that use this for their voice mail recording:

"Hello? Hellllooooo? (pause for a few seconds)...........Oh, I was just kidding. I'm not really here. Leave a message."

Gets me every stinking time!

Yeah, those really kill me. Of course, I'd really like to kill them at the time.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I actually just hate when people say..."Hello, I'm either unable to get to the phone right now or I'm not home, so at the beep, please leave your name and number and I'll return your call as soon as possible..."

We all know the drill, we all know what to do...no need to draw a verbal map.

I hate answering machines, especailly when I have to recall 50 people for an emergency/exercise. That and caller ID.

I use my answer machine to screen calls - pure and simple. Blame the friggin telemarketers, not me!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I guess I'm different, but I like the quick, "Hi, this is XXXX, give me a call".

I really get annoyed by long, drawn out messages.
    For the record, I completely agree with you. Short, sweet, to the point. That's the way to leave a message.

The other thing that just irks me to no end is when someone leaves a phone number, and zips through the entire 10 digit number in .5 seconds. This is especially annoying when the person doesn't leave the number until the end of a minute long message. Nothing is worse than having to listen to a drawn out rambling message several times just to get the stinking phone number.

I sold my answering machine on the black market for beer money and dental work.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?