Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oklahoma man held before boarding plane with bomb

Re: Oklahoma man held before boarding plane with bomb

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I agree with you, redlegz. I don't have any problem with that kind of profiling, because in those cases the police are looking for suspects who have already committed a crime. That's perfectly legal and constitutional.

The problem arises when you start detaining people but no crime has been committed. You can't perform random searches because you think someone is likely to commit a crime in the future. The 4th Amendment prohibits that.
    What percentage of the 9-11 terrorists were Middle Eastern?

If the shoe fits...

If the FBI knows that there are sleeper cells within the United States who are virtually guaranteed to be comprised of people of Middle Eastern descent... What more do you need to know in order to realize that it might be prudent to take a closer look at people matching that ethnicity rather than the 78 year-old grandma?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oklahoma man held before boarding plane with bomb

Quote Originally Posted by redlegs
    In my opinon if your getting on to a plane that has up to a couple of hundred people on it, and also has the capablity to destroy a skyscraper, that it's not unreasonable to search people for things that could help them destroy or take over the plane.
    I agree -- it's not unreasonable to search people, as long as you're giving everyone equal scrutiny. But when you single out a particular group or ethnicity, that's when problems start.

What more do you need to know in order to realize that it might be prudent to take a closer look at people matching that ethnicity rather than the 78 year-old grandma?
    The guy they caught in Oklahoma was a white male.

It isn't prudent to focus on one ethnicity. Equal scrutiny is the only way to ensure safety -- plus it doesn't violate the 4th Amendment.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?