Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

Re: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Meanwhile, chili and I had a Sox fan buy us a round after Boston swept the Reds in June. Got into a number of cool baseball discussions about the Reds as well (including a number of Sox fans asking if the Reds would be kind enough to deal Adam Dunn to Boston).
    A Sox sweep helped that magnamity I would imagine.

I've had lots of good conversations at Cinergy/GABP with knowledgeable Braves fans, Cardinal fans, Marlins fans, Cleveland fans, and more that I'm forgetting. And actually, some Cubs fans a ways back. But not Cubs fans lately.

Maybe it's just me, but there is a certain decorum one adheres to when at a foreign field, be it baseball, football, hoops, etc. You stand up and cheer for your guys, whoop it up when sonething good happens for your team, and generally behave as a good fan. Most places tolerate that kind of stuff from the opposition (well, maybe not Philly and also I had a bad experience at Candlestick). When foreign fans come to Cincinnati and holler for their team within the boundaries of general decorum, I don't mind it. Well, at least I tolerate it.

When I go to other parks, I try to a.) be a Reds fan and b.) generally behave myself.

Holding up signs disparaging the opponent, calling out their fans, acting like a general dickweed, and loud barking and woofing will increase your odds of ill-will, i.e. finding out *really* fast that you are outnumbered, your buddies have disappeared, and you are backed up against a wall.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Speaking of the Cubs, they're really taking Mulder to the woodshed--7-2 right now.

Not that I think the Cubs bullpen will be able to hold the lead.

Still, it's nice to see the Cardinals' "ace" get clubbed (after today's game he should have @ .790 OPS against). This Cardinals squad is just asking to get drubbed in the postseason by Houston or Atlanta.

Here come the Cards, though, right back against Maddux (dude, just retire--this is an ugly legacy).
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 08-11-2005 at 05:21 PM.

La Dolce Vita

I started actively wishing for the Cubs to lose every game after hearing my daughter (who lives off Addison several miles west of Wrigley Field in Chicago, is a huge White Sox fan, plus, happens to work for the Chicago Tribune) talk about how Cubs' fans hover obsessively over the city, her workplace, obviously, and her neighborhood. Being in Chicago during interleague when they played each other I saw firsthand, while driving through Wrigleyville hours after one of the White Sox wins, hordes of Cubs' fans hanging about the bars and streets crying in their bittersweet beers. I really think these people enjoy the camraderie of losing. Go Sox!
    teach tolerance.

I "hate" the Cubs because I grew up a Cardinal fan. As the joke goes, "I root for two teams -- the Cardinals and whoever is playing the Cubs". I put "hate" in quotes because I can appreciate any fan who loves baseball and their hometown team.

And then there was the Kyle Farnsworth brawl, Dusty Baker talking trash, blaming a goat for your troubles, pretending to be a small-market team while spending big and hiding revenues in the Tribune machine, scalping tickets to their own fans...

I've always been and will always be a reds fan, but that's mostly because I grew up going to Crosley Field with my dad and grandpa. I've never seen a Cubs-Reds game that I can remember so I can't say that I have first hand knowlege of their over zealous good time. I did see a Cubs-Giants game in Chicago and wore my reds cap of course. Everyone was totally polite and talked general baseball with me. The stadium, in my opinion and never to cross TeamBoone of course, was as fun as going back to Crosley for some real baseball tradition. They honor their players and love their park like walking into the Hall of Fame, which I've also been to. But, I'm not one that likes to go to malls or WalMart either, I'd rather go to small stores in an older part of town.

The feeling that some other city has invaded the home turf must be the main objection. I'm guessing they're the largest contingent of fans from any other team coming into Cincy. How about the Steeler fans, is it the same type thing?

Personally, I like to hate the Dallas Cowboys, the Yankees, Braves, LA Lakers and my old cross town high school team. The first four because I like to pull for under dogs and those few teams dominated and were arrogant at the same time. My high school was always the good guys, so it was ok to take it out on the noisy rivals.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I've been to see the Reds in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Atlanta, and Los Angeles on the road and I respect their home status. I am a guest there. The folks in those cities have always been nice and have been nothing but pleasant, especially in LA. I imagine if I ran around Dodger Stadium with a sign that said "Great American Ballpark West" that it might change their attitude, but I don't. That's one reason I hate them--no respect.

Everywhere you turn, you find a Cub fan who was converted by WGN or the media. The "friendly confines" is highly overrated. An old, old park with lousy views that sits in the middle of a bad neighborhood is not my definition of "quaint." And the fact that 99% of them have never been there (but watching on TV) makes it number two.

Finally, one of my best friends is a Cubs fan. Why? Because of Harry Caray and their caps. Really. He wouldn't know a pop fly from a strikeout about baseball, but they're always on and he likes the caps. That makes three.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Cubs fans used to elicit no more than an eye roll from me. I guess growing up in Columbus Ohio, and seeing how Buckeyes fans act, nothing less than full armageddon would shock me.

Then, there was the day Junior blew out his shoulder in an attempt to make a diving catch. Cubs fans in right center field were all standing and taunting in unison, calling Junior every name in the book. That day was a real eye opener, and every time I was at Reds-Cubs game, I started to really notice how vile, and boorish they would act.

I've sat around Cards fans numerous times, even during the McGwire push, and it was always enjoyable. They seem to respect the park they're in, and often times I've placed friendly beer bets with them, and exchanged light hearted barbs.

Contrasting the two, it's easy for me to root against the stinking Cubs when they play the Cardinals.

Simply put, their fans don't deserve a winner, and if you believe in karma, you're seeing a mighty fine example of it on the corner of Waveland and Sheffield.

So to answer the question more succinctly M2....It's the fans, it's the fans, it's the fans.

No need to really look further than that.

Oh, yeah, and Ron Santo.
    Pray for Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I agree with TB, but I'm shocked at these former yankee fan revelations
    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I'm sorry? but it sounded like you just said: "when I was a Yankee fan"...

Uhm. Okay. We'll be needing to get that Barbie backpack from you when you have a chance....
    Yea, yea... I know. But I am from upstate NY originally. I admitted this once before, but nobody called me on it. I was surprised.

I love baseball, but only got to see the Yanks once a month... a treat for myself and anyone I could drag along with me for the weekend (4-hour drive plus lodging plus food, not to mention the tickets). Mostly, it was my daughter.

When I moved to Cincinnati twelve years ago, one of the first things I did was buy weekend season tickets. Are you kidding me? A major league baseball team in my own back yard! I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

And, when you go to so many games (plus those I attended when in town on business prior to the move), well, I guess you could say that I became a Reds fan by osmosis. It was impossible not too. Not only that, but as you all now know, I'm not just a Reds fan.... I'm an AVID Reds fan (or is it rabid?).

I'm not sure which is more devoted, a lifelong fan or a convert!

Now, back to the intent of this thread: Adam Dunn said something about the Reds fans getting on him when he threw a ball into the crowd during the Cubs recent visit. He said something like, it would be hard to hit a Reds fan because they were outnumbered so much that it looked like a sea of blue. He then added that probably most of them would be back in their Reds gear after the series ended. I think there's something to that.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

the whole "Lovable loser's" thing. All Cubs' fans think they are the best fans because they go to the game and support the team even when they lose. Personally I think they are dumb for drinking the Tribune flavored Kool-aid.

I myself want desperately want to go to GABP to another Reds game, but I wont. I dont want to support a team that is content with mediocrity. The Reds dont have to win, just show me that they care and I will go. That's pretty reasonable, but Cubs fans act like they are the all-mighty fans, because they go no matter what. if you want to go, fine, doesn't mean you like your team any more than me.

That is my problem with the Cubs. Thier fans.

I have only two teams that I truly cannot stand--the Cubs and the Cardinals. And it is because of the arrogant attitudes I have seen from their "fans" at our ballpark. (Mets fans are also arrogant at GAB, but there aren't many of them, and I simply dismiss it as being wrongheadedly aligned with anything New York.) The actions of Cubs fans at GAB have already been discussed at some length on this thread. The Cardinals, you might ask? Well, I didn't used to have as much of a problem with them, but lately I have seen on more than one occasion that Cardinals fans can be every bit as cocky at GAB as Cubs fans have been. (Though the Cards have been able to back it up on the field better than the Cubbies have--even though the Cardinals haven't won a Series since 1982.) Last summer, I had a row of Cardinals fans sitting behind me, and they spent much of the game ripping on the Reds, the ballpark, and then (and this one still gets my blood boiling) Joe Nuxhall! One of them had bought a Pepsi at the concession stand, and the souvenir cup featured Nux. They started with comments like, "Who's this clown?", "another Reds loser", "He probably sucked as bad as the rest of their team", and so forth. I turned around and said, "You don't make fun of Joe Nuxhall around here, buddy." One guy started to say something, but I interrupted him and repeated, "You don't make fun of Joe Nuxhall." BTW, the Reds won that game. (The Reds have won every Reds-Cardinals game I have ever been to--I'm 4-0.)

I think that there is a certain etiquette that a visiting fan needs to follow. I have been to ten Reds games where they have been the visiting team--once at Comiskey Park in Chicago, once at Miller Park in Milwaukee, and eight times in Pittsburgh (twice at Three Rivers, and six times at PNC Park). Everytime I have worn a Reds cap and cheered for the Reds, and I have never had any problems with the home fans. Why? Well, I think it is because I am respectful of the home team. I cheer for the Reds, but I don't put down the home team, the ballpark, or the city, and generally don't make an ass of myself. I even enter into conversations about baseball with the other fans--I ask them about certain players, and they ask me things about the Reds, and we generally get along just fine. Fans really don't mind if you root for your team--just don't be a jerk about it. This is where Cubs fans (and in my experience, Cardinals fans) have crossed the line at GAB.

Of course, the two managers I dislike the most are Dusty Baker (even in San Francisco) and Tony LaRussa (all the way back to his Oakland days), so that makes it even easier to hate the Cubbies and Cards.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 08-11-2005 at 06:58 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    I have only two teams that I truly cannot stand--the Cubs and the Cardinals. And it is because of the arrogant attitudes I have seen from their "fans" at our ballpark. (Mets fans are also arrogant at GAB, but there aren't many of them, and I simply dismiss it as being wrongheadedly aligned with anything New York.) The actions of Cubs fans at GAB have already been discussed at some length on this thread. The Cardinals, you might ask? Well, I have seen on more than one occasion that Cardinals fans can be every bit as cocky at GAB as Cubs fans have been. (Though the Cards have been able to back it up on the field better than the Cubbies have--even though the Cardinals haven't won a Series since 1982.) Last summer, I had a row of Cardinals fans sitting behind me, and they spent much of the game ripping on the Reds, the ballpark, and then (and this one still gets my blood boiling) Joe Nuxhall! One of them had bought a Pepsi at the concession stand, and the souvenir cup featured Nux. They started with comments like, "Who's this clown?", "another Reds loser", "He probably sucked as bad as the rest of their team", and so forth. I turned around and said, "You don't make fun of Joe Nuxhall around here, buddy." One guy started to say something, but I interrupted him and repeated, "You don't make fun of Joe Nuxhall." BTW, the Reds won that game. (The Reds have won every Reds-Cardinals game I have ever been to--I'm 4-0.)

I think that there is a certain etiquette that a visiting fan needs to follow. I have been to ten Reds games where they have been the visiting team--once at Comiskey Park in Chicago, once at Miller Park in Milwaukee, and eight times in Pittsburgh (twice at Three Rivers, and six times at PNC Park). Everytime I have worn a Reds cap and cheered for the Reds, and I have never had any problems with the home fans. Why? Well, I think it is because I am respectful of the home team. I cheer for the Reds, but I don't put down the home team, the ballpark, or the city, and generally don't make an ass of myself. I even enter into conversations about baseball with the other fans--I ask them about certain players, and they ask me things about the Reds, and we generally get along just fine. Fans really don't mind if you root for your team--just don't be a jerk about it. This is where Cubs fans (and in my experience, Cardinals fans) have crossed the line at GAB.
    Having lived in St. Louis for two years, I can attest to this attitude--I'm afraid I don't see the magnanimity that so many on here have seen from their fans.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Cubs fans used to elicit no more than an eye roll from me. I guess growing up in Columbus Ohio, and seeing how Buckeyes fans act, nothing less than full armageddon would shock me.

Then, there was the day Junior blew out his shoulder in an attempt to make a diving catch. Cubs fans in right center field were all standing and taunting in unison, calling Junior every name in the book. That day was a real eye opener, and every time I was at Reds-Cubs game, I started to really notice how vile, and boorish they would act.

I've sat around Cards fans numerous times, even during the McGwire push, and it was always enjoyable. They seem to respect the park they're in, and often times I've placed friendly beer bets with them, and exchanged light hearted barbs.

Contrasting the two, it's easy for me to root against the stinking Cubs when they play the Cardinals.

Simply put, their fans don't deserve a winner, and if you believe in karma, you're seeing a mighty fine example of it on the corner of Waveland and Sheffield.

So to answer the question more succinctly M2....It's the fans, it's the fans, it's the fans.

No need to really look further than that.

Oh, yeah, and Ron Santo.

That sums it up for me fairly well also. I was at that game when Junior went down too, I was sitting out there in the sun deck with those ass-wookies. It almost got problematic.

There has always been a strong Cub following, but it seems within the last few years it's grown larger and dumber/more obnoxious. They invade other parks too,I see the same type dipsticks on other broadcasts annoying the locals.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I've never had problems with Cubs fans personally. In fact, I married one. The ones I know are very personable and knowledgeable about their team. Now I do know that a lot of Chicagoans send their kids to one Miami University, so that might also explain why the Cubs get such a good turn out at GABP. Compared to Browns fans and Phillies fans, Cubs fans are a pleasure to be around. And if you want to talk insufferable, wait till you hear a Yankees fan spend five minutes complaining about their bullpen or their guys not hitting or how, heaven forbid, they aren't in their rightful place at the top of the standings. I would put the Browns, Yankees and Braves at the top of my list for teams I hate because of their fans. I put the Braves in there because they win all the time and yet their fans are so spoiled, they can't even sell out their playoff games.

It just seems so right.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    I've never had problems with Cubs fans personally. In fact, I married one. The ones I know are very personable and knowledgeable about their team. Now I do know that a lot of Chicagoans send their kids to one Miami University, so that might also explain why the Cubs get such a good turn out at GABP. Compared to Browns fans and Phillies fans, Cubs fans are a pleasure to be around. And if you want to talk insufferable, wait till you hear a Yankees fan spend five minutes complaining about their bullpen or their guys not hitting or how, heaven forbid, they aren't in their rightful place at the top of the standings. I would put the Browns, Yankees and Braves at the top of my list for teams I hate because of their fans. I put the Braves in there because they win all the time and yet their fans are so spoiled, they can't even sell out their playoff games.
    Yet another reason to hate Miami University!

GO BOBCATS!!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?