Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

Re: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

Teach the baby young to blame the cubs
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cubs fans are utterly obnoxious. (by-and-large)
    Last edited by WMR; 04-04-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Dusty Baker.

I read a bit about folk's experiences with Cubs fans at the park. I've had more sparring matches with Braves fans at GAB, most in good humor. (Could be that I haven't been to many Cubs games.)
    Pots and Kettles

I think its the whole attitude of people from Chicago and their general attitude towards Cincinnati in general. They always have this air like - we're from Chicago you know the great Midwestern Cosmopolitan City, while you're from nice quaint little Cincinnati. The funny thing is most of them live an hour or more away from Chicago and probably go into the City only when guests arrive.

Their announcers - the manager - Sammy Sosa (even though he is now gone).

Year before last's Redszone gathering, SC gave a few of them heck when they came into the Westin prior to the game. It was quite enjoying.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792

I did want to highlight what you stated above about Phillies fans too, because I'm guessing most Reds fans haven't had experiences with Phillies fans. If they have had experiences with Phillies fans, the hatred of the Cubs would be minimum compared to that of the Phillies.

Four buddies and I had the utter displeasure of taking in a pair of Reds/Phillies games this past May when the Reds went to Philly. One of my friends had a Kearns jersey on, I wore a Reds cap and for crying out loud you'd think both him and I killed everybody's mother. On five separate occasions I nearly got into a fight with a Phillies fan at the park simply because I had a Reds cap on, and those people would literally swarm around you heckling you as you walked through the park. My buddy with the Kearns jersey tried to take a piss one time, and a Phillies fan followed him into the restroom, then stood outside the stall door banging on it, all the while dropping a barrage of profanities about how much the Reds suck. If you have any type of clothing/cap on representing the visiting team, there's no such thing as watching a simple baseball game in peace; Phillies fans won't let you.

It's no surprise if anyone ever asks me my opinion of Philadelphia that I tell them the city is a complete dump.

Oddly enough, I had a similar experience the last time I was at GAB. I had on a Bobby Abreu jersey and had to spend the entire game listening to several groups of people throughout my section tell me how much Abreu and the Phillies in general suck. I'm extremely laid back, so I pretty much just did my best to ignore the people yelling at me, but it did get annoying after awhile, when all I wanted to do was watch the game with my friends in peace. Walking out through the concourse after Jose Mesa's pathetic attempt to hold onto the lead in the 9th wasn't a joy, either.

Now with that said, I despise the "typical Phillies fan" probably more than anyone here. Most Phillies fans aren't like That Guy (the one who seems to get off on the reputation around the country of being an obnoxious jerk), but since That Guy is sooo loud, sooo annoying, and sooo obnoxious, it seems to overshadow the more normal ones. I really am sorry you had to deal with several people who were That Guy.

To get back to the Cubs, I never had a problem with them really until I had to deal with their fans at a game in CBP last year. Having lived in Philly as long as I had (before moving a couple weeks ago), and having gone to as many games as I have, I have seen my fair share of fans being stupid. However, the behavior of a large portion of Cubs (not all, of course, but a lot) fans on that day ranks right up there with some of the worst I have seen from our fans here (the drunk Cubs fan who pushed my girlfriend out of the way so that he could get a better angle to heckle HIS OWN TEAM'S BULLPEN quickly comes to mind). Plus, I don't like Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    I hate blaming things on a fan base, but most (not all mind you) of the Cubs fans I've met are really difficult to deal with. When things are going poorly (as usual) they act as if they're more deserving of pity than anyone. But when things are going well? Wow have the guys I've met been apt to turn the most extreme 180-degree attitude adjustment I've ever seen. It's as if I- a Reds fan- must now cater to the illustrious history that club has of winning...well...nothing.

But honestly, it's the team itself (including Baker) that I dislike more than anything else. I dislike their style of play. I dislike the players they put on the field. And I truly despise their manager (who, IMHO, has made himself even MORE dislikable since he left San Fran). Bunch of money. Bunch of pieces. None of them fit. Plenty overrated.

That about covers it. I don't truly "hate" that team. I just REALLY like seeing them lose.
    I think that about covers it for me. It bothers me a little that they take over our park but I have been to Reds games in Wrigley in the mid 90s when there were just as much red there as there was blue. If people are bothered by the out of towners coming in and taking over, go to the freaking games! But I really haven't hated them until Big Dust took over. It was more like pity until then. I was excited when they started getting good back in the mid 80s. I rooted for them when they got in the playoffs. But when I could, I listened to them on the radio and ever since they started getting good their radio guys have treated the Reds - and most other opposing teams with thinly veiled contempt. I don't mind rooting for your own team but at least respect your opponents. For all his homeristic tendancies, Harry Carey was never like that. I remember every time Barry Larkin would come up in a clutch situation, he'd say with fear in his voice, "There's that man again."

But in the past few years the whole organization's - and their fans' - arrogance has really gotten out of control. Dusty blames their problems on everybody but the players and himself. I didn't notice it when he was in S.F. since they were out of general media range then.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I think theres a reason why the Cubs are called the "lovable losers". Everybody loves seeing them lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

In short, cute little cuddly baby bear Cubbie logo promotes skin- which is good. But it doesn't promote lapdances for the most part- which is bad.
    Well that swings my vote.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I learned to like them alot less earlier in the year and the beaning incidents involving Carlos Zambrano. He's a hot headed punk. Same with Kerry Woods.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

All one has to do to understand is attend any game in GAB when the Reds are playing the Cubs. It's the obnoxious "fans".

I couldn't imagine a Reds fan acting like that in their home. ACT LIKE YOU HAVE SOME COMMON DECENCY IN OUR HOME.

Dusty Baker and his mouth would be 2nd. Albeit a distant 2nd, but none the less a valid enough reason to dislike the Cubs.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Cubs "fans", Steve Stone, Sammy Sosa, and overexposure by the media.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I thought it was an appropriate time to bump this thread.

The first time I ever came across Redszone was when I was looking for an answer to a question I had about Eric Davis. I did a search for his name, and because he's referenced in this thread, this was the first thread that came up at the time. This thread is really the entire reason I stayed.

"Mr. Red needs to grab a Braves tomahawk and just chop that sissy little baby bear to bits..." may, in fact, be my favorite baseball-related sentiment ever.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I hate thier "fans", not the team itself.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I hate them because they just had a 2 run single in Cincinnati and the stadium went nuts because there are probably 10,000 Cubs "fans" there.

Turn Off Ads?