Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

Re: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

I have never been to Wrigley but hate the Cubs and the Braves, all fair weather fans imo. But the best fans at visiting ball parks are St Louis, been there many times, wearing Red's gear, always treated very nice, of course I behaved my self and didn't show my ass. Also have been treated very nice at Turner Field, Astrodome and Three Rivers. The main reason I hate the Cubs so much is their TV announcers over the years and now Ron Santo on radio. Hate the Braves fans because living here in the south is all you hear, they don't know didley crap about baseball but think they do. Bandwagon fans.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Klu, I can't blame Cardinals for being cocky. They should be. Fate's been incredibly kind to them. Until the last five years I could sympathize. From 1972 (when I started watching baseball) trough 2000 being a Reds fan was a pretty sweet deal, except for that 1982-84 interlude.

Anyway, I imagine Cardinals fans view the Reds as a baseball third world these days. So at times I'm sure Birds fans at the GAB are a lot like ugly Americanism on display in Juarez. It's the cruelty exuded by those who've never known true pain.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Klu, I can't blame Cardinals for being cocky. They should be. Fate's been incredibly kind to them. Until the last five years I could sympathize. From 1972 (when I started watching baseball) trough 2000 being a Reds fan was a pretty sweet deal, except for that 1982-84 interlude.

Anyway, I imagine Cardinals fans view the Reds as a baseball third world these days. So at times I'm sure Birds fans at the GAB are a lot like ugly Americanism on display in Juarez. It's the cruelty exuded by those who've never known true pain.
    But aside from '96, the Cards bit arse in the 90s. And I lived there from 97-99 (pretty lean years) and they still thought their crap didn't stink. A real sense of entitlement. They'll stink it up again for another decade down the road (as they did in the 50s, 70s and 90s)--and still act in the same imperious manner I'm sure. Let's not forget, they're working on 25 years without a world title.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 08-11-2005 at 08:18 PM.

Harry Carey is one of the big reasons for me. Growing up I didn't get to watch the Reds much on TV, a Ft. Wayne TV station carried the Cubs so when they played to Reds I got to watch them. After awhile I just hated listening to him (when I watched by myself I turned volume off but hard to do w/ two older bothers) he was way to much of a homer and spent a large part talking about "fans" that were stands today and fans that had birthdays. Of course I grew up w/ the drunk crazy Carey I hear he was better before he got old and drunk.

Harry was incredible back in the day. When he was with the Cardinals, I would listen to their games just to listen to him.

He was a cartoon of his old self in his final days.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits
    Harry Carey is one of the big reasons for me. Growing up I didn't get to watch the Reds much on TV, a Ft. Wayne TV station carried the Cubs so when they played to Reds I got to watch them. After awhile I just hated listening to him (when I watched by myself I turned volume off but hard to do w/ two older bothers) he was way to much of a homer and spent a large part talking about "fans" that were stands today and fans that had birthdays. Of course I grew up w/ the drunk crazy Carey I hear he was better before he got old and drunk.

"Hey! Homer and Ethel Robinson from Davenport, Iowa are here at the ballpark today! They're big Cubs fans! And Elmer Johnson from Lagrange, Illinois is celebrating his 86th birthday! This Bud's for you, Elmer!"
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    "Hey! Homer and Ethel Robinson from Davenport, Iowa are here at the ballpark today! They're big Cubs fans! And Elmer Johnson from Lagrange, Illinois is celebrating his 86th birthday! This Bud's for you, Elmer!"
    That sounds like an exact quote from one of the games!

harry was the best

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    But aside from '96, the Cards bit arse in the 90s. And I lived there from 97-99 (pretty lean years) and they still thought their crap didn't stink. A real sense of entitlement. They'll stink it up again for another decade down the road (as they did in the 50s, 70s and 90s)--and still act in the same imperious manner I'm sure. Let's not forget, they're working on 25 years without a world title.
    I don't know, those Lankford/Gilkey/Jose teams from the early '90s were kind of fun to watch, a real hit and squad. Everyone's lean years should be that diverting. I'm guessing Birds fans made it through 97-99 by paying attention to Mac and nothing but Mac.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

It's the fans. Cubs fans taking over the GAB and acting all obnoxious.

Yuppie dingleberries blaming their misery on a goat.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

I think to some degree that intense dislike of Cubs fans dates back to the mid-1980s, when the team began to enjoy some moderate (although nothing approaching ultimate) success.
    Being a Cubs fan became an in-thing among Yuppies of that period, at least here in the Midwest.
    It was extremely irritating (to Reds and Cardinals fans, and probably even to longtime Cubs fans) to hear these novices suddenly "talking baseball" as though they were veteran observers of the game, even though their knowledge was limited to what they had learned from listening to Steve Stone.
    As a result, Ryno was the greatest player of all time; Sutcliffe was the greatest pitcher of all time, etc.

My active dislike of the Cubs began when I recieved my first baseball glove from my Grandfather when I was getting ready to start T-Ball. My maternal Grandfather was a diehard Reds fan and at the time was very fond of Buddy Bell. He got me a Wilson Ballhawk model glove, with a Buddy Bell signature in the pocket. It is such a good glove that I used it for at least 4 years, my brother (12 years younger than me) used it for 3 years and my son (currently three years old) will probably use it when he starts T-Ball. My Father's family is pure Cubs. They live and die cubs. My paternal Grandparents would routinely go to Arizona for spring training. My father is one of 13 children. They mostly have large families as well. Other than my brother, and one cousin. The rest are Cubs fans.

I remember being so proud of my glove and going to play ball with my cousins for the first time, and them just belittling Buddy Bell. I didn't understand why they were doing it, I was just 5 years old. As I grew I spent lots of time with my maternal Grandfather. I became a huge fan of Eric Davis and Barry Larkin. I had a shirt that featured both of them around 1989 and my cousins started in on me about how Jerome Walton and Shawn Dunston were far superior players. I went home and pulled out my baseball cards and looked at the stats and the truth began to dawn on me- Cubs fans are just stupid.

I have 4 cousins that are within a year of my age. The other Reds fan and 3 Cubs fans. We were all in college during Sosa and McGuire's chase for the record. We saw Sosa's 60th, in an improbable Cubs comeback against the Brewers. After the game, my cousins wanted to go down to the players entrance and I said what the heck. They stood around like some slobbering kids. The great Cubs. Henry Rodriguez walked by the fans and said "We do it all for you" and the fans were literally moved to tears. My other Reds compatriot, and I just looked at each other and I think I threw up in my mouth.

I revelled in the glory of that series during the last week of last season, as my relatives blamed the Reds for the Cubs implosion. According to them the Reds played dirty. I can't underscore how much I loved watching them bellyache about their poor Cubs.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

For me personally, I don't hate the Cubs...I love the city of chicago but I hate the Cub fans who raise them hig when their team has not won for generations...overall their team has sucked wors than any other team in the league and their fans act like they are the Yankees.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Ok. I want to change my answer.

I do hate the Cubs.

And I hate them because of this little guy:

Cubbie Bear stinks. Stylized Cubbie Bear stinks even more.

Aww...look at him...he's sooooooo cute...look at little Cubbie Bear and his cute widdle nose.

Mr. Red needs to grab a Braves tomahawk and just chop that sissy little baby bear to bits. Even worse, in 1997, the Cubs decided that the following image was far more formidable:

Now, let's start with the fact that the white stripe on the little guy's back makes him look like he has a flipped-up monkey tail. That's just stupid. He's a baby bear, not a monkey. Of course, whether he's a baby bear or a monkey makes little difference to me except for the fact that baby bears should not evoke images of adult monkeys. It's an aside. It annoys me, but it still has nothing to do with anything.

What DOES have something to do with it is the obvious move toward pandering to the growing flock of young women who attend games at Wrigley for no other reason than to tan. "Ohhhh....look at the baby bear...awwww...so sweet...can you rub some lotion on my shoulders?"

Now, I have NO problem with hot 20-somethings having lotion rubbed on their lithe tan bodies. In fact, I like that. Really, I do. But I can guarantee that if you asked the VAST majority of these chicks what the "count" is, they'd grab their boyfriend's wallet and start by naming the first bill denomination they see and then get confused when the whole "math" thing kicks in when they find greenback number two.

In short, cute little cuddly baby bear Cubbie logo promotes skin- which is good. But it doesn't promote lapdances for the most part- which is bad. And, worst of all, it means that if I grab a seat in Wrigley to watch a Cubs/Reds game I have a far higher probability of sitting next to a truly stupid person and, even more heinous, that stupid person is most likely going to be pulling my attention from the game. Of course, those chicks are also the same ones who after seeing my wedding ring will ask, "Are your married?", and accept "No." as a truthful response. But I digress...

Furthermore, the current version of Cubbie Bear doesn't really look mad (he's meant to I think). I recall an answer to an obvious question and that answer centers around whether or not a bear you-know-what's in the woods. Well, it doesn't appear that this version of Cubbie Bear can. It just looks like he's either too darn constipated or that his stupid monkey tail is preventing him from doing his "business" so he's grumpy about having to walk out of the woods to drop trau. I do hope the little tyke finds his way out of the woods though and I hope that passers-by decide to ignore the "Don't Feed The Bears" signs. But I hope that the feeding they give this plugged-up bear runt consists of healthy doses of Milk of Magnesia or, at minimum, a few bottles of Metamucil.

Really, Cubbie Bear in all of his various forms is stupid. He's a baby bear. What's he going to do to you? Call his mommy??? Invoke a real bear to beat a fan sensless who had the audacity to not see Moises Alou running toward the wall while trying to catch a foul ball Alou couldn't get to in the playoffs? No. The baby bear will whine and cry (which kinda' sums up the Cubs franchise) and I can guarantee that a little baby bear would find the following guy REALLY scary:

Dude. That is the John Wayne Gacy of baseball logos. There isn't a non-Reds fan who could have possibly made it through the 1960's without nightmares after seeing that image. LOOK AT THE EYES!!! Little kids who came to games and weren't cheering for the Reds HAD to be scared that Mr. Red was hiding in their closet or under the bed. No one has ever been scared that an infant bear was concealed within their room after dark. What's the little tike gonna do? Threaten you with massive cuddling and face licks??

Freakin' guy is running around with a big ol' piece of lumber just waiting to smash baby Cubbie bear in the head. If he misses, he'll just maul the helpless little guy with his razor-sharp spikes. It's an image of terror really. Try to rub suntan lotion on your shoulders with him watching? Nah, because if you don't respect the game he'll just maul you...like a real bear would...not a baby Cubbie bear.

So there. I do hate the Cubs. I hate the Cubs because their logos have traditionally been stupid. Their fan base is getting dumber because of it (although also more attractive) and they're cruel to plugged-up animals who can't take a dump in the woods.

I really don't think there's any way to argue with that reasoning.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 08-12-2005 at 12:08 AM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Ok. I want to change my answer.

I do hate the Cubs.

And I hate them because of this little guy:

Cubbie Bear stinks. Stylized Cubbie Bear stinks even more.

Aww...look at him...he's sooooooo cute...look at little Cubbie Bear and his cute widdle nose.

Mr. Red needs to grab a Braves tomahawk and just chop that sissy little baby bear to bits. Even worse, in 1997, the Cubs decided that the following image was far more formidable:

Now, let's start with the fact that the white stripe on the little guy's back makes him look like he has a flipped-up monkey tail. That's just stupid. He's a baby bear, not a monkey. Of course, whether he's a baby bear or a monkey makes little difference to me except for the fact that baby bears should not evoke images of adult monkeys. It's an aside. It annoys me, but it still has nothing to do with anything.

What DOES have something to do with it is the obvious move toward pandering to the growing flock of young women who attend games at Wrigley for no other reason than to tan. "Ohhhh....look at the baby bear...awwww...so sweet...can you rub some lotion on my shoulders?"

Now, I have NO problem with hot 20-somethings having lotion rubbed on their lithe tan bodies. In fact, I like that. Really, I do. But I can guarantee that if you asked the VAST majority of these chicks what the "count" is, they'd grab their boyfriend's wallet and start by naming the first bill denomination they see and then get confused when the whole "math" thing kicks in when they find greenback number two.

In short, cute little cuddly baby bear Cubbie logo promotes skin- which is good. But it doesn't promote lapdances for the most part- which is bad. And, worst of all, it means that if I grab a seat in Wrigley to watch a Cubs/Reds game I have a far higher probability of sitting next to a truly stupid person and, even more heinous, that stupid person is most likely going to be pulling my attention from the game. Of course, those chicks are also the same ones who after seeing my wedding ring will ask, "Are your married?", and accept "No." as a truthful response. But I digress...

Furthermore, the current version of Cubbie Bear doesn't really look mad (he's meant to I think). I recall an answer to an obvious question and that answer centers around whether or not a bear you-know-what's in the woods. Well, it doesn't appear that this version of Cubbie Bear can. It just looks like he's either too darn constipated or that his stupid monkey tail is preventing him from doing his "business" so he's grumpy about having to walk out of the woods to drop trau. I do hope the little tyke finds his way out of the woods though and I hope that passers-by decide to ignore the "Don't Feed The Bears" signs. But I hope that the feeding they give this plugged-up bear runt consists of healthy doses of Milk of Magnesia or, at minimum, a few bottles of Metamucil.

Really, Cubbie Bear in all of his various forms is stupid. He's a baby bear. What's he going to do to you? Call his mommy??? Invoke a real bear to beat a fan sensless who had the audacity to not see Moises Alou running toward the wall while trying to catch a foul ball Alou couldn't get to in the playoffs? No. The baby bear will whine and cry (which kinda' sums up the Cubs franchise) and I can guarantee that a little baby bear would find the following guy REALLY scary:

Dude. That is the John Wayne Gacy of baseball logos. There isn't a non-Reds fan who could have possibly made it through the 1960's without nightmares after seeing that image. LOOK AT THE EYES!!! Little kids who came to games and weren't cheering for the Reds HAD to be scared that Mr. Red was hiding in their closet or under the bed. No one has ever been scared that an infant bear was concealed within their room after dark. What's the little tike gonna do? Threaten you with massive cuddling and face licks??

Freakin' guy is running around with a big ol' piece of lumber just waiting to smash baby Cubbie bear in the head. If he misses, he'll just maul the helpless little guy with his razor-sharp spikes. It's an image of terror really. Try to rub suntan lotion on your shoulders with him watching? Nah, because if you don't respect the game he'll just maul you...like a real bear would...not a baby Cubbie bear.

So there. I do hate the Cubs. I hate the Cubs because their logos have traditionally been stupid. Their fan base is getting dumber because of it (although also more attractive) and they're cruel to plugged-up animals who can't take a dump in the woods.

I really don't think there's any way to argue with that reasoning.
    Darn it Steel, you made me laugh out loud and I woke the baby!
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?