Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

Re: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

I asked her to dance, she said "not if you were the last sanitation engineer on earth;" I was crushed, she wore a backward Cubs cap.

Just another story in the naked city.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hate blaming things on a fan base, but most (not all mind you) of the Cubs fans I've met are really difficult to deal with. When things are going poorly (as usual) they act as if they're more deserving of pity than anyone. But when things are going well? Wow have the guys I've met been apt to turn the most extreme 180-degree attitude adjustment I've ever seen. It's as if I- a Reds fan- must now cater to the illustrious history that club has of winning...well...nothing.

But honestly, it's the team itself (including Baker) that I dislike more than anything else. I dislike their style of play. I dislike the players they put on the field. And I truly despise their manager (who, IMHO, has made himself even MORE dislikable since he left San Fran). Bunch of money. Bunch of pieces. None of them fit. Plenty overrated.

That about covers it. I don't truly "hate" that team. I just REALLY like seeing them lose.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I succumbed to peer pressure. My fellow Reds fans hated them, so I followed.

I came up with reasons later, like I hate teams with superstation fan bases. Yea, that's pretty rational. Sammy's hop, Chip and Dip, prior to that Harry Caray, and as if the world revolves around some celeb singing take me out to the ballgame. And the fans showing up at our park when the Cubs are in town just seems like cockroaches coming out of the woodwork after smelling the team roll into town.

I actually started rooting for the pitiful franchise in '84 when there was little joy in Cincinnativille. But, that will not happen again. Take it to the bank :
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    For me hating the Cubs doesn't have anything to do with being a Reds fan, I'd hate the Cubs even if I was a Devil Rays fan. It's how they played up the lovable loser angle for so long. Do you know what being a loverable loser makes you? A loser. They trotted out bad team after bad team after bad team, and for some reason people just ate it up. They expected to lose, and their fans didn't care. They're people who define themselves as losers and smile about it. Ugh. As long as they had Wrigley Field and Haray Caray, who cares about what the actual team does. It seems like so many people aren't fans of Cubs baseball, they're fans of the Cubs brand name, and I just find that really annoying.
    I like that one. Sort of like 1990s Braves fans.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Before divisional play the Cubs were the Reds opponents on Opening Day 28 times, between 1898 and 1916 the Cubs and Pirates rotated the honor of playing the Reds on their most cherished day and it was a Cubs batter (Johnny Evers) who was the first MLB player to bat at Redland Field in 1912. Doing battle with the Cubs was a tradition that somehow receded in the Astroturf era.

The Cubs have been around long enough to have more than one history. Part of baseballs draw is the deep history of the game and it’s in the Bizarro world of the Cubs that we can find one of the great tragic tales of the game.

“There is a body of tradition to this ball club that holds up in bad years as well as good.”

“Statistics place alone place the Cubs with the kings of baseball, but no amount of statistics, artfully compiled and proudly totaled up, can tell the story of the team that has a hold on the great American Midwest that will never be loosed.”

Ed Burns on the Chicago Cubs in 1948.

Back then Wrigley was filling up every day too... it's not a recent trend, it's more recent that the teams competing.

The Cubs as the season started in 1948 could claim that they had won SIXTEEN of the NL titles, that’s 23%, the Giants also won 23% of the titles, leaving the scraps for the rest of the league to fight over, unfortunately the Reds were one of those teams fighting for the scraps and could only claim 3 NL titles at that moment, but an equal amount of World Series wins as the Cubs with two.

If you like to watch a world turned upside down compare the Reds and the Cubs franchise since the post war glow was still warm on the Northside of the city on the lake.

Code:
    All Time Franchise History

WINNING PERCENTAGE              PCT       W       ERA       G
    1    Giants                     .541     9957     0.16    41231
    2    Dodgers                    .524     9220     0.19    38280
    3    Cubs                       .515     9756     0.01    41773
    4    Pirates                    .511     9183     0.04    40135
    5    Cardinals                  .508     8798     0.00    40187
    6    Reds                       .505     8898     0.01    39316
    7    Braves                     .499     9442     0.03    39975
    8    Phillies                   .467     8586     -.27    40584
    Note: does not include Reds American Association Record.

Code:
    1876-1945
    1    Giants                     .561     5111     0.25    14638
    2    Cubs                       .560     5417     0.25    14734
    3    Pirates                    .537     4668     0.14    13724
    4    Reds                       .494     4114     0.13    13085
    5    Dodgers                    .493     4084     -.01    13437
    6    Cardinals                  .486     3912     -.11    13478
    7    Braves                     .473     4561     -.06    14584
    8    Phillies                   .446     4053     -.45    14897   

1946-2004
    1    Dodgers                    .552     5136     0.36    24843
    2    Cardinals                  .526     4886     0.08    26709
    3    Braves                     .526     4881     0.13    25391
    4    Giants                     .521     4846     0.07    26593
    5    Reds                       .515     4784     -.11    26231
    6    Phillies                   .488     4533     -.09    25687
    7    Pirates                    .486     4515     -.06    26411
    8    Cubs                       .467     4339     -.24    27039
    Whoa what happened? A .93% drop in winning percentage for the Cubs and .21 climb in that column for the Reds. The Reds is easy to grasp, strong team cultures can last for a few decades and really boost the wins.

However the Cubs drop is unprecedented in both leagues. It’s an incredible run of poor seasons, punctuated with bad decisions made from the offices at the top of Wrigley all the way to the dugout, including abrasive leaders like Durocher or ad-hoc groups like the College of Coaches.

Why such a drop? That itself is a study that could take awhile, but look at the ERA vs the league. A drop from .25 above average to -.24 below average can really take the wind out of the sails of any franchise.

I hate Cubs mainly for the fact that it seems like they have such a "loyal national following."

Bull.

Somebody who turns on WGN and sees the Cubs and thinks it must be cool to go watch a game is not a true fan. A true fan is someone who sticks with the team through thick and thin. Cubs fans are people who just think because they see a game on WGN every now and then, that makes them a true fan. And these are mainly the type that fill up Great American Ball Park and other visiting parks.

It'd be easier to deal with if they filled up other fields with true thick and thin fans....but they don't.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Maybe I'm meeting the exceptions, but I vastly prefer the pathology of the Cubs fans I've met than the Phillies fans I've known (and often am related to).
    M2, I'm relatively neutral on the Cubs. In fact, in 2003 I was rooting for a Cubs/Red Sox World Series because the historian in my would have loved it. When I got Yanks/Marlins, I was thoroughly pissed. I do, however, despise it when Cubs fans seem to infiltrate our home park during Reds/Cubs games here in Cincy, but really the only cure for that is for us to start packing our own house. That way when the pack of Cubs fans attempt to come down for a series, they're either getting bent over by scalpers or aren't able to find a seat.

I did want to highlight what you stated above about Phillies fans too, because I'm guessing most Reds fans haven't had experiences with Phillies fans. If they have had experiences with Phillies fans, the hatred of the Cubs would be minimum compared to that of the Phillies.

Four buddies and I had the utter displeasure of taking in a pair of Reds/Phillies games this past May when the Reds went to Philly. One of my friends had a Kearns jersey on, I wore a Reds cap and for crying out loud you'd think both him and I killed everybody's mother. On five separate occasions I nearly got into a fight with a Phillies fan at the park simply because I had a Reds cap on, and those people would literally swarm around you heckling you as you walked through the park. My buddy with the Kearns jersey tried to take a piss one time, and a Phillies fan followed him into the restroom, then stood outside the stall door banging on it, all the while dropping a barrage of profanities about how much the Reds suck. If you have any type of clothing/cap on representing the visiting team, there's no such thing as watching a simple baseball game in peace; Phillies fans won't let you.

It's no surprise if anyone ever asks me my opinion of Philadelphia that I tell them the city is a complete dump.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 08-11-2005 at 05:18 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Meanwhile, chili and I had a Sox fan buy us a round after Boston swept the Reds in June. Got into a number of cool baseball discussions about the Reds as well (including a number of Sox fans asking if the Reds would be kind enough to deal Adam Dunn to Boston).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I can't speak for anybody else, but for me it's just that every Scrubs fan I've ever met in person has been really easy to hate.

Man Pills

I don't hate the Cubs anymore than any other Reds' opponent, whom I want the home team to crush, defile, and humiliate with infernal repetition.

I'm something of a General Sherman in my Reds' fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I don't hate the Cubs anymore than any other Reds' opponent, whom I want the home team to crush, defile, and humiliate with infernal repetition.

I want to see them driven before us and hear the lamentations of their Women!

If this is true, it would seem Atlanta would be the team you wanted to see destroyed the most.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    M2, I'm relatively neutral on the Cubs. In fact, in 2003 I was rooting for a Cubs/Red Sox World Series because the historian in my would have loved it. When I got Yanks/Marlins, I was thoroughly pissed. I do, however, despise it when Cubs fans seem to infiltrate our home park during Reds/Cubs games here in Cincy, but really the only cure for that is for us to start packing our own house. That way when the pack of Cubs fans attempt to come down for a series, they're either getting bent over by scalpers or aren't able to find a seat.

I did want to highlight what you stated above about Phillies fans too, because I'm guessing most Reds fans haven't had experiences with Phillies fans. If they have had experiences with Phillies fans, the hatred of the Cubs would be minimum compared to that of the Phillies.

Four buddies and I had the utter displeasure of taking in a pair of Reds/Phillies games this past May when the Reds went to Philly. One of my friends had a Kearns jersey on, I wore a Reds cap and for crying out loud you'd think both him and I killed everybody's mother. On five separate occasions I nearly got into a fight with a Phillies fan at the park simply because I had a Reds cap on, and those people would literally swarm around you heckling you as you walked through the park. My buddy with the Kearns jersey tried to take a piss one time, and a Phillies fan followed him into the restroom, then stood outside the stall door banging on it, all the while dropping a barrage of profanities about how much the Reds suck. If you have any type of clothing/cap on representing the visiting team, there's no such thing as watching a simple baseball game in peace; Phillies fans won't let you.

It's no surprise if anyone ever asks me my opinion of Philadelphia that I tell them the city is a complete dump.
    Philly fans are awful. A bunch of surly, racist, thick-necked white dudes from the suburbs. But don't let them spoil you on an otherwise fairly interesting metro area, vital and cultured. But then, I think Detroit's a cool town. So what do I know? Guess I got a thing for towns that make their own entertainment out of the rubble of their pasts instead of importing them from some corporate nobs.

That's the kind of attitude I wish the manager would install in the team
    Go Gators!

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by MWM

If this is true, it would seem Atlanta would be the team you wanted to see destroyed the most.
    When I grow my summer beard, my wife always complains that I look like this guy.

Turn Off Ads?