Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

Re: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

I kid you not....you can't make this up.

I bought the Power Pack last year and on Opening Day a Cubs "fan" was sitting in front of me. The next game in the pack in late May, the same guy was a Reds fan, pulling hard for the Reds.

You wonder why I put fans in " "s.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I kid you not....you can't make this up.

I bought the Power Pack last year and on Opening Day a Cubs "fan" was sitting in front of me. The next game in the pack in late May, the same guy was a Reds fan, pulling hard for the Reds.

You wonder why I put fans in " "s.
    Wow.

If we as Reds fans should hate anyone it should be the Brewers. The Brewers always seem to step up and play spoiler when the Reds have any chance of success.

Cubs fans are like those sad clown crying paintings, kitschy... but better off left on the floor in the basement.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I hate Cubs fans because most of them know nothing at all about baseball, other than how to drink vast quantities of beer. OK, they have one redeeming quality.

I lived in Chicago, a mile away from Wrigley, for 4 and a half years during the late 80's. I never could warm up to the stinkin Cubs, but I did become a White Sox fan. Sox fans in Chicago are a lot like west side folks in Cincinnati- salt of the earth types. Cubs games were all about being there and being seen. White Sox games and fans were a lot more substance- plus, I absolutely loved seeing some games at old Comiskey before they tore it down and built the sterile operating room across the street.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I have always felt some sort of sympathy toward the team, or more precisely the idea that it's been so long since they've won it all, but that sympathy doesn't extend toward some of the fans I have had the pleasure of meeting down here. That said, I can't really bring myself to hate the team the same way I dislike the Yankees or the Braves. I don't know why, I just don't have it in me.

Here's one thing that doesn't make sense to me about their fans though. They pack that darn ballpark day in and day out, even if their beloved Cubbies are 1000 games out at the All Star break. Now I understand the whole idea of the "Wrigley Field experience", but I can't see how the locals would spend their hard earned money with no thought to how the team is playing on the field. What kind of message does that send to the front office? If you know people are going to consume your product regardless of the quality, where is the incentive to improve? I'm not what I would call a fair weather or bandwagon fan, but I think that I'm like most Reds fans in that I will attend a lot more games if they're winning than if they're losing, no matter how much I like the ballpark they play in. If it weren't for the "Wrigley Field experience", the Cubs might have won a championship or two in the last half century.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I have always felt some sort of sympathy toward the team, or more precisely the idea that it's been so long since they've won it all, but that sympathy doesn't extend toward some of the fans I have had the pleasure of meeting down here. That said, I can't really bring myself to hate the team the same way I dislike the Yankees or the Braves. I don't know why, I just don't have it in me.

Here's one thing that doesn't make sense to me about their fans though. They pack that darn ballpark day in and day out, even if their beloved Cubbies are 1000 games out at the All Star break. Now I understand the whole idea of the "Wrigley Field experience", but I can't see how the locals would spend their hard earned money with no thought to how the team is playing on the field. What kind of message does that send to the front office? If you know people are going to consume your product regardless of the quality, where is the incentive to improve? I'm not what I would call a fair weather or bandwagon fan, but I think that I'm like most Reds fans in that I will attend a lot more games if they're winning than if they're losing, no matter how much I like the ballpark they play in. If it weren't for the "Wrigley Field experience", the Cubs might have won a championship or two in the last half century.
    Its hard to not pack the house when your city has 15 million people and your stadium holds 38,0000 (just a guess here).

I hate the Cubs more than any other team in any other sport. Blame their fans for this.

I think I have met 2 Cubs fans who were not jerks. Seriously.

If you have any doubts as to my hatred of the Cubs, ask anyone who was at the 'Zone gathering 3 years ago. I boo'd and hiss'd every fan at the watering hole we were at.

I despise the Cubs...I mean, I honestly think I hate the Cubs more than the Commies in 1980.
    Last edited by macro; 04-05-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Use of profanity.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    If we as Reds fans should hate anyone it should be the Brewers. The Brewers always seem to step up and play spoiler when the Reds have any chance of success.
    If I remember correctly (I don't fell like looking it up), the Reds got 'em last year.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Former Cubs broadcaster Harry Caray was one of my all-time heroes. The guy spent an entire career drinking beer, unabashadly rooting for his team and leading the entire ballpark in singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game." When it was his time to check out, he did it out dancing with his wife.

If that's not living the American dream, I don't know what is.

FWIW the Cubs fans are among the more annoying fans here in the ATL, too.

I think it is a fan thing based on proximity and opposing fan turnout. Although I usually enjoy watching a game with an out-of-town fan of the visiting team (and have seen the same effect when I've been the out-of-towner elsewhere), there is something different when the out-of-towners and opposing fans show up in droves and make the home park feel like the vistors' stadium. I got that feeling last year when I came to town in Reds' gear to see Arroyo's first game in the home park. I couldn't believe the numbers and noise level of the Cubs' fans in GABP. I enjoyed it when they were silenced by the Reds' win, which is something I haven't felt even when I went to watch the Reds live when they were on the road (even in Philly!).

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    If I remember correctly (I don't fell like looking it up), the Reds got 'em last year.
    Nope, wasn't last year. The REDS were 46-38 vs. the NL Central. However, they had losing records against two teams (9-10 record against each of them). Those teams were the Cubs & the Brewers.

In 2005 the REDS went 6-10 vs. the Brewers (9-6 vs. Cubs).

The REDS did have a winning record vs. the Brewers in 2004 at 10-8.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans View Post
    I hate the Cubs more than any other team in any other sport. Blame their fans for this.

I think I have met 2 Cubs fans who were not jerks. Seriously.

If you have any doubts as to my hatred of the Cubs, ask anyone who was at the 'Zone gathering 3 years ago. I boo'd and hiss'd every fan at the watering hole we were at.

I despise the Cubs...I mean, I honestly think I hate the Cubs more than the Commies in 1980.
    Sat in front of a herd of mouth-breathing Cub fans today. Ordinarily, taking one on the chin tends to shut the visiting fans up a little, but I guess that doesn't apply to these nimrods. I used to think that sitting in the higher-priced seats would keep me further away from the idiots, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I hate the scrubs and their "fans." I will rejoice when their bloated payroll and big mouths finish in last place.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Some have already mentioned the Cub fans at GABP. I have no problem with opposing team's fans, except when they demonstrate arrogance in your own backyard. It's this "we're not only gonna beat you in your own home, but then rub it in your faces afterwards." And yes, I've witnessed it in the past while down there.

But here is the main reason why I hate the Cubs....

One of the things I always liked abut Marty & Joe was they weren't afraid to air it out on their own team and speak their minds when it came to that product on the field. Now many may not have always agreed with some of the things they said, but they spoke their minds. I liked that.

Harry and Steve (WGN) made me sick to watch/listen to them. They showed very little objectivity when it was required during game time situations. Whenever their Cubs were down or didn't get a call their way, the sob stories and excuses they offered turned my stomach.... their poor, poor, Cubs just can't get a break. Everyone was out to get them.

And they had no problem talking down/making light of other teams, and any player controversies/stories that may have existed, and loved to put their two-cents worth in. But they wouldn't touch/criticize a Cub player in a similar situation (ex- Sosa).

And when Stone finally did say something that didn't go over well.... he was gone from the broadcasting booth.

And don't get me started on tooth pick chewing Dusty Baker. But I cared little for him when he was in S.F. either.

Ask paint about how he showed his "appreciation" for a Cub fan on Opening Day.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?