Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

Re: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans View Post
    I hate the Cubs more than any other team in any other sport. Blame their fans for this.

I think I have met 2 Cubs fans who were not jerks. Seriously.

If you have any doubts as to my hatred of the Cubs, ask anyone who was at the 'Zone gathering 3 years ago. I boo'd and hiss'd every fan at the watering hole we were at.

I despise the Cubs...I mean, I honestly think I hate the Cubs more than the Commies in 1980.
    I was there, and remember it well. If we hadn't had you on a leash we'd have all been arrested.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'll go with the attitude of the fans option. I don't really mind that so many show up at GABP. I don't think all of them drove down, it just seems there are casual Cubs fans all over the place. When you city is so big, with people moving around they end up transplanted all over the place.

But they are so obnoxious. As several have posted, they act as if they invented the game and are being denied their birthright when they lose (again and again and again and again). I have a good friend who was rasied in Chicago and is a die hard Cubs fan. But he's an actual student of the game. He pay attention. He shows the same frustrations and resignation that we do when the Reds fall apart. But most of them...most of them tramp around GABP acting like Frat Boys, talking trash and almost playing a role. "I'm a Cubs fan, so I better act like an obnoxious jerk". That whole Chicago attitude thing (and to some degree the East Coast thing) is so much bluster and hot air.

The Dodgers. Them I hate. The Cubs are ok. The fans are just jerks.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Count me as someone who hates the Cubs more than any other team.

Reason one is the fans. They are idiots, plain and simple. Every team has fans who are idiots but the Cubs seem to only have fans who are idiots or total nerds (Steve Bartman). Cheap Cub fans go to the games and hang out in the street hoping to catch a Todd Walker or Mark DeRosa HR. How lame does it get? These people have nothing better to do?

Another reason my hatred of the Cubs grew to this point:

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    But most of them...most of them tramp around GABP acting like Frat Boys, talking trash and almost playing a role. "I'm a Cubs fan, so I better act like an obnoxious jerk". That whole Chicago attitude thing (and to some degree the East Coast thing) is so much bluster and hot air.
    Have you ever heard Chicagoans argue that Chicago style deep dish pizza is better than New York style, thin crust pizza? They call pizza from the famous NYC pizza houses, cardboard with cheese. I've seen a few shows on TV about pizza where they interview people from Chicago and they are so arrogant and start calling out people who like thin pizza.

The Cubs are the biggest part of it but I think I am just anti-Chicago. Nothing about that city interest me and the people there seem like total asses.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    The Cubs are the biggest part of it but I think I am just anti-Chicago. Nothing about that city interest me and the people there seem like total asses.
    Chicago as a city is fantastic. I'm usally there several times per year on business and I love going there. Great food. Great clubs. Great musesms. A very nice place to go.

I'm not making a blanket statement that everybody in Cook County is a jerk. Most of the people I do business with are very nice people. It's just the ones that wear a blue hat with a red C. Maybe it's the hat? No one ever suspects the hat.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Chicago as a city is fantastic. I'm usally there several times per year on business and I love going there. Great food. Great clubs. Great musesms. A very nice place to go.

I'm not making a blanket statement that everybody in Cook County is a jerk. Most of the people I do business with are very nice people. It's just the ones that wear a blue hat with a red C. Maybe it's the hat? No one ever suspects the hat.
    I agree with you, Ltlabner, regarding the city. I love Chicago. My daughter goes to college in northern Indiana and on several occasions we've gone to see her and taken the South Shore Line in ($11 round trip!) to downtown Chicago and seen the sites. And you can take the EL around (and it always makes me mad we never finished our subway - I ache for a good rapid transit system).

I don't hate the Cubs, but I have some friends who are for unexplained reasons, Cubs fans. I just don't get it because these guys are baseball smart and for the most part my experience with Cubs fans at GABP and Wrigley says that they are not.

I have been annoyed by these friends' behavior for years and although we remain close, this has caused me to take a greater delight in seeing the Reds beat the Cubs than any other team.

One thing that struck me about Cubs fans was the treatment of Steve Bartman. All the finger pointing was at him instead of the fact that the Cubs players actually had a worse inning than he did that game. I guess just about any fan base could have reacted the same way, but the fact that it was Cubs fans who acted with such a complete lack of baseball acumen just made me dislike them even more.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Count me as someone who hates the Cubs more than any other team.

Another reason my hatred of the Cubs grew to this point:

Man does not treat a Valley Arts like that... Sacralidge!

Gotta be the fans, my In-Laws are from middle Illinois, and they refuse to cheer for the Cubs, they are all Cards fans....
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

I've got many reasons but here's one that really gets me riled up, ESPIN's constant hype of the "rivalry" between the Cards and the Cubs. What they have is a "dislike" series, just like we do with the Cubs. You can't have a rivalry if one of the teams involved hasn't won anything of signifigance in over 100 years.

My criteria for a rivalry is 1) both teams have to have had a championship caliber seasons spoiled by the other 2) Both teams have to have won a championship by vanquishing their main foe.

Ohio State vs Michigan is a rivalry. Cubs vs Cards is more akin to OSU vs UC in football, there may be some strong dislike but its not a rivalry.

Indeed it is. I love Chicago. Don't have any particular hatred for the Cubs either, they're just another team to me. Then again, it's been 3 years since I've been able to attend a game in Cinci, so that may have something to do with it.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I've said it before in this thread--1984 made me hate the Cubs--many of my fellow college students at IU were Cub "fans." They didn't know the first thing about baseball--it was a terrible experience.

In fact, my hatred of all things Cubs kept me from moving to Chicago after college. My wife and I (we live in MD) have thought about moving there in the past, and the idea of the Cubs--even more than Chicago winters--has always kept me (and always will keep me) from living there. I'll go and visit (and wear my Red's red), but live amongst those fools...never.
    Win the Division

Chicago as a city is fantastic.
    I agree. And at some point in my lifetime I'd love to go and see a game at Wrigley. I hear it is quite an experience.

But what reg stated above pretty much nailed it for me. My own experience with their fans has been one of them simply being obnoxious. Look what not only the fans, but the local media, did with the Bartman incident. Poor guy.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    One thing that struck me about Cubs fans was the treatment of Steve Bartman. All the finger pointing was at him instead of the fact that the Cubs players actually had a worse inning than he did that game. I guess just about any fan base could have reacted the same way, but the fact that it was Cubs fans who acted with such a complete lack of baseball acumen just made me dislike them even more.
    A friend of mine who is the only reasonable Cubs fan I've ever met puts it this way.

1. Bartman reached for a foul ball with 5 other fans.
    2. Prior melted down
    3. Gonzalez bobbled a grounder
    4. Farnsworth and Remlinger added gas to the fire
    5. Sammy airmailed a throw
    6. Dusty just sat there and watched it
    7. Rothschild failed to get anyone settled down

7 of these people are paid professionals who are paid rather handsomely to do pretty much the exact opposite of what they did.
    1 of these people paid to get into the park and did exactly what was expected of him.

Naturally fans blame the guy who paid his way into the park.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Chicago as a city is fantastic.
    It's a nice city, but "Fantastic" nah....

I agree. And at some point in my lifetime I'd love to go and see a game at Wrigley. I hear it is quite an experience.
    My first Cubs game Ozzie Smith went 5-5

It was his best day at the plate in his career.

Code:
    St. Louis Cardinals 11, Chicago Cubs 10
    Game Played on Thursday, June 17, 1993 (D) at Wrigley Field

STL N    0  0  1    4  3  0    2  0  1  -  11 17  0
    CHI N    1  0  0    2  0  3    0  2  2  -  10 19  0

BATTING
    St. Louis Cardinals   AB   R   H RBI      BB  SO      PO   A
    O. Smith ss            5   1   5   6       0   0       2   2
    Personally I don't "Hate" other fans, that might have to do with the fact that I have rarely been representing the "Home" team when I go to sporting events, mostly because I root for Midwest teams and spend 10 days a year there.

It stems from Chicago being a two team city.... In general, Chicago sports fans are a bit insufferable. Then consider that all of the knowledgeable baseball fans in Chicago gravitate to the south side... that leaves the Cubs with, well, the insufferable and dumber leftovers... Take pity though, if your knowledge of the game was largely shaped by hearing slurred names annunciated backwards, you'd be a bit of an issue when you hit the road as well...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?