Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

Re: Why do Reds fans hate the Cubs?

I remember the day I started hating the Cubs. Well not the day or date, but certainly the game.

Allow me to refresh some memories. Soto heads into the stands with a bat...

good times.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have a few friends in Chicago. Salt of the earth people.

I hate the traffic there. I hate the winters there.

It has many, many cool things to do and places to go.

Still, somehow, when a fan puts on that little blue cap with the little red C, his baseball IQ evaporates.

I love beating those guys.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I remember the day I started hating the Cubs. Well not the day or date, but certainly the game.

Allow me to refresh some memories. Soto heads into the stands with a bat...

good times.
    Here's the date!

May 31, 1984: Mario Soto is suspended for five days by National League president Chub Feeney for his role in a 32-minute melee that marred the Reds-Cubs game on May 27th. After shoving 3B umpire Steve Rippley, who had signaled that Ron Cey's long fly ball was a 3-run home run (it was later ruled foul), a bat-wielding Soto then tried to attack a park vendor who had thrown a bag of ice at him. Soto will be suspended again for five more days later in the season for his June 16th fight with Claudell Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's a nice city, but "Fantastic" nah....
    trust me, it's a fantastic city

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    trust me, it's a fantastic city
    I agree. One of the great American cities to be sure. Got to take a dinner cruise on lake Michigan one evening, and the skyline viewed from that perspective is simply awe-inspiring.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Hating the scrubbies is as American as apple pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Still, somehow, when a fan puts on that little blue cap with the little red C, his baseball IQ evaporates.
    I'm telling you, it's the hat. Nobody suspects the hat.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

For me it's fun hatred
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

If loathing you is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

BTW, I really hate the Cardinals too.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Have you ever noticed that some magazines, non-baseball catalogs, etc offer insignia merchandise for the teams doing well at the time? For instance, I just saw one in some catalog and they offered merchandise for the Yankees, Braves, another team that I can't remember, and THE CUBS!

The Cubs are ALWAYS one of the teams included in these 4-6 team merchandise offers. For Pete's sake, WHY?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    BTW, I really hate the Cardinals too.
    And the Asstro's, too.

Count me as (I guess) a rare bird who didn't really like living in Chicago at all. And I even like the cold.

Some things, though, they do better than anybody else. Pizza and theater, among other things. But there were just more things I didn't like than did. Cubs fans among them. I went on some rant about this last year, actually, can't remember everything I said but I know I summed up my feelings.

edit: I have to take something back. I look Brooklyn corner pizza better than Chicago pizza. But chicago really does have the best theater in America.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 04-06-2007 at 08:16 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Have you ever noticed that some magazines, non-baseball catalogs, etc offer insignia merchandise for the teams doing well at the time? For instance, I just saw one in some catalog and they offered merchandise for the Yankees, Braves, another team that I can't remember, and THE CUBS!

The Cubs are ALWAYS one of the teams included in these 4-6 team merchandise offers. For Pete's sake, WHY?
    Because they have a very big fan base that spends money.

I will say this for the Cubs: they've always been a smartly marketed team. The White Sox turned down the WGN deal in the 80s, and the Cubs snatched it up. Back then, there was no internet, there was no satellite radio. WGN as a national cable station turned out a generation of Cubs fans at a time when people had very little access to teams outside their own market. One of my good friends is one of the biggest Cubs fan in the world -- and he grew up in Maine and never saw Chicago or the team until he was 18. He is die-hard, read the box scores every day as a kid, all because of WGN. That happened to people of all ages, all over the country. While there are now many ways to see or hear all kinds of teams, that Cubdom has carried over simply because it made them a well-known and popular team.

Plus, a lot of people just love the underdog. The Cubs are in a unique position in that if they ever do win the World Series, I think over the course of a few years afterwards they will actually lose fans.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Look what not only the fans, but the local media, did with the Bartman incident. Poor guy.
    Yeah, the whole Bartman thing really turned me against the Cubs. I'm not at GABP enough to have had any unpleasant encounters with Cubs fans. I wanted the Cubs to actually win a NL title back in the days of Banks/Williams/Jenkins in the late 1960s (assuming the Reds couldn't of course) and I was rooting for them in the 1984 and 1989 NLCS. I began turning against them because of my dislike of WGN and the Carey cult, but the whole Bartman controversy got to me. As Hoosier Red pointed out, Bartman was just behaving like a fan. The Cubs lost that game because their players and manager, the supposed pros, blew it. I didn't like Sosa, I don't like Wood, and I can't stand Dusty Baker--even Sweet Lou can't eliminate the stink there.
    The only reasons I was happy to see the White Sox win the World Series in 2005 were (1) the Chisox hadn't won one since 1917, and (2) I figured Cub fans would hate it.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?