Thread: Has anyone seen this re:Griffey

Hybrid View

Has anyone seen this re:Griffey

Just got home..saw no related threads...Griffey has kicked it up a notch

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8829546/

Re: Has anyone seen this re:Griffey

Jr. is gone.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Something sounds bogus to me.

got alil captain in u?

that's wat i thought corkedbat i don't believe this there's been nottin on any other websites or on tv about it

I find this to be almost impossible to believe. I think Jr. was either being sarcastic, or this is just complete BS. It just doesn't seem like something he would say.

It is quite odd.

Could be interesting though. Do you really think the Red Sox or Yankees would allow Griffey to go all the way through waivers to the White Sox?

Or do they really think the Reds might actually let him go for nothing, so they wouldn't claim him?
    Matta = Really good

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33
    It is quite odd.

Could be interesting though. Do you really think the Red Sox or Yankees would allow Griffey to go all the way through waivers to the White Sox?

Or do they really think the Reds might actually let him go for nothing, so they wouldn't claim him?
    I don't think anybody is going to risk inheriting that contract on a waiver claim. The remaining years @ 12 million per with half of it deferred @ 4% plus a 4 million buyout on the option year should scare anyone off, even the Yankees.

And what about the already earned deferred money, if you get him on waivers, does that obligation come with him or does it stay with the Reds? All this would be, negociable in a trade but not in a waiver claim. It would be whatever the rules say. Anyone know?

I can believe he'd want to go to the White Sox. Remember guys, he loved Seattle too. His wife was from there, etc. But he thought Seattle ownership wasn't commited to bringing in the pitching needed to win. Now, he's been with the Reds for 5 years and they haven't been competitive at all (other than the first part of 2000, they were sort of contending until they dealt Neagle).

The guy has made no secret that he wants to win a ring before he retires. He's not going to do that here. It's totally logical that he'd want to be traded to a contender.
    I don't know if he's going to put the heat on the Reds to get it done, but I'm sure he'd be easily talked into waiving his 10/5 to go to a contender.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I can believe he'd want to go to the White Sox. ...The guy has made no secret that he wants to win a ring before he retires.
    the "ring" is the only thing missing on his resume. While it has no bearing on the HOF I doubt Jr would call his career a complete success without one. Time is running out and for Jr, getting dealt to a contender at the deadline may be his best chance.

knowing the way griff talks, he was probably joking around, he likes to do that. but if true, i hope so, i want to see him win.

also, like i said before. no deal that doesnt involve mcarthy. and hopefully young

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD

The guy has made no secret that he wants to win a ring before he retires. He's not going to do that here. It's totally logical that he'd want to be traded to a contender.
    I don't know if he's going to put the heat on the Reds to get it done, but I'm sure he'd be easily talked into waiving his 10/5 to go to a contender.
    Mr. Optomistic!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    Mr. Optomistic!
    Well, I just don't think Jr has seen much in his 5 years here to be optimistic about. Even if the Reds got a genius GM this winter, Jr's contract is going to be up before they contend again.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Junior to Sox Rumor Won't Die

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...508130363/1071

Reds, agent, reiterate there's no deal in the works

By Kevin Kelly
    Enquirer staff writer

MILWAUKEE - The trade rumors linking Ken Griffey Jr. and the White Sox have resurfaced once again.

The Reds center fielder, who has the right to reject any trade, addressed the rumors Friday at Miller Park while also reiterating his desire to win a World Series before he retires.

"For me, it's going out, playing, and doing what I'm supposed to for this ballclub," Griffey said. "If the organization feels that they need to make a change with me, then we'll look at it and make up my mind when and if.

"If not, (I'll) continue doing what I'm doing. It's in my control, but it's not in my control. The only thing I have control over is, do I want to go? I have no control over who they talk to and what they talk about."

A recent USA Today Sports Weekly report said a deal had been struck to send Griffey to the White Sox for three prospects - with the Reds picking up a sizeable portion of the more than $40 million remaining on Griffey's contract that runs through 2008 with a club option for 2009 - but that Reds owner Carl Lindner ultimately vetoed the deal.

Reds chief operating officer John Allen said there was nothing to that report. General manager Dan O'Brien said then that he never talked to Griffey about a trade. Griffey and his agent, Brian Goldberg, said they were unaware of any potential trade.

The publication followed up the original report by stating Griffey, who has a short list of teams he would be willing to play for, "may be open to accepting a trade to the Chicago White Sox, if he clears waivers."

The Chicago Sun-Times, in Friday's editions, reported the White Sox could still be interested in Griffey.

A Reds official, speaking on condition of anonymity, reiterated Friday that nothing is going on.

Goldberg essentially said the same.

"The Reds told us right before the trade deadline that nothing was going on, and Junior wasn't going anywhere," he said Friday. "Until I hear otherwise from the Reds, and only the Reds, I happen to think that's true."

Griffey is in his sixth season playing for his hometown team, and playing well after undergoing surgery to repair a torn right hamstring in August 2004.

The 35-year-old entered Friday batting .286 with 25 home runs and 78 RBI, despite a slow start in April when he was still trying to get his legs under him. He's on pace to total 35 homers and 110 RBI this season.

The Reds were 52-62 and 20 games behind the first-place Cardinals in the National League Central Division through Thursday.

"No matter what my situation is, and what is being said, I depend on these (teammates) and these guys depend on me," he said. "So until otherwise, when this organization says, 'Do you want to do this,' these are the guys that I depend on."

Asked if he'd prefer to stay in Cincinnati, Griffey said: "I'd prefer to win."

The Reds have yet to make the playoffs since they acquired Griffey from the Mariners in February 2000.

And while he has played in the American League Championship Series, doing so with the Mariners in 1995, Griffey is still looking for his first chance at a World Series championship ring.

"That's the main reason why you play this game," he said. "As a kid you don't talk about how much money you're going to make as an athlete. You talk about hitting a home run in the All-Star Game. You're always talking about that three-balls, two-strikes walkoff home run in the World Series."

-------------------------------

Sounds like he wouldn't be too sad if he went to Chi-town.

I would think the 700 anti JR brigade would be all over the airwaves if this were a serious demand.
    Go Gators!

Looks like the same story about the Wsox trade but with more hyped up journalism...

Turn Off Ads?