Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen this re:Griffey

Re: Has anyone seen this re:Griffey

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman
    Man if this is true and he does want traded after all the bad stuff that he has put us threw with all the injurys then I see the fans really turning their backs on JR.We have watched him fail here for 3-4 years in Cincy and now that he is FINALLY having a good year he wants to be traded.

I say trade him then our outfield will finally be set the way it should have been with Dunn,Kearns,and Pena.

BYE GRIFFEY!!!!!!!!
    Huh? He didn't say that. Also, if you look at the statistics, Griffey would be sorely missed. Take 25 Hr's and 80 RBI's out of that outfield and you get lots less. Kearns and Pena cannot make that up--or at least not at this time.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Man if this is true and he does want traded after all the bad stuff that he has put us threw with all the injurys then I see the fans really turning their backs on JR.We have watched him fail here for 3-4 years in Cincy and now that he is FINALLY having a good year he wants to be traded.

I say trade him then our outfield will finally be set the way it should have been with Dunn,Kearns,and Pena.

BYE GRIFFEY!!!!!!!!
    Are you serious? We haven't had to go through anything like what he has gone through. I don't believe any of us had season ending injuries, long rehab assignments, multiple surgeries to put our body back together, our home fans boo us when we got hurt(even though they are the same ones that cheer when he hits a HR), our employer promise to put together a pitching staff that would contend and not do it, get beat up in the media, listen to people say his contract was what kept the Reds from winning even though he took less money to come here(and it was the Larkin, Casey, and Graves contracts that really hurt) and the list goes on.

Griffey has not failed here, when he has been healthy he has put up good numbers. In case you forgot he did put up these numbers in 2000: .271/.387/.943 with 40 HRs 118 RBI. So, I wouldn't say that he is finally having a good year for the Reds, I would say that after 3.5 years of injuries he is finally healthy. If you really want to look at numbers you could also make a case that his 111 games played in 2001 were more productive than what Casey has done this year, once again proving that this isn't the first time he has done anything here.

I don't think any of Griffey's true fans would turn their back on him for wanting to leave this mess and go to a contender. The people that would do that would probably be the same ones that were booing/cheering when he got hurt and then cheer this year when he is playing good.

BYE GRIFFEY!!!!!!!!
    You could probably add 30HR and 80RBI that the outfield will give away. It's not only the offence that Junior provides but the defence as well. Even after the injuries he is still the best outfielder the REDS have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    You could probably add 30HR and 80RBI that the outfield will give away. It's not only the offence that Junior provides but the defence as well. Even after the injuries he is still the best outfielder the REDS have.
    Um, actually, no he is not. Kearns is.

And even though Jr has great instincts and gets jumps on the ball like few others, he has lost a few steps due to age and injury. He does not have good range at all.

I don't know a lot about the defensive statistics that are out now, but I am pretty sure that if we went from Jr in CF everyday to Pena in CF everyday, we would have a dropoff of probably less than 10 runs over the course of a season.

Go Redlegs!!!!

No one wants to play for the Bad New Bears.

...and our beloved Reds have been the Bad News Bears pretty much since Marge.

Oh well, I'll get back to dreaming about our wildcard spot this year.
    "Its easy to love a winner like LeafGuard." -Marty Brennaman commenting on the Reds pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut

And even though Jr has great instincts and gets jumps on the ball like few others, he has lost a few steps due to age and injury. He does not have good range at all.
    Have you been watching the same player as me? Do you remember that ball Randa hit in San Diego the other day, for example. How many other center fielders would have caught that ball? Very few.

I still have trouble seeing a trade being made durirng the season. The offseason will bring a new GM, and JR leaving town. I hope he gets to go to a place he'll be happy rather than just an escape from a bad situation. Seattle will put an offer in for him in Nov./Dec. but I can not see him approving that despite Seattle's confidence. The White Sox make more sense. I hope he does not go to the Yankees, that is an environment that is very harsh to say the least.

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    Um, actually, no he is not. Kearns is.

I don't know a lot about the defensive statistics that are out now, but I am pretty sure that if we went from Jr in CF everyday to Pena in CF everyday, we would have a dropoff of probably less than 10 runs over the course of a season.
    You can't possibly be serious that our best outfielder is splitting time with Wily Mo. I am sorry, but that is just wrong. Kearns may be a good outfielder in the future, but he has struggled this year to say the least.

Austin Kearns:
    SEASON TEAM POS G GS INN TC PO A E DP PB SB CS RF FPCT
    2005 Cincinnati Reds OF 63 60 514.0 134 126 6 2 2 --- --- --- 2.39 .985

SEASON TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
    2005 Cincinnati Reds 68 227 31 54 15 1 8 34 95 23 61 0 0 .315 .419 .238

Ken Griffey Jr:
    SEASON TEAM POS G GS INN TC PO A E DP PB SB CS RF FPCT
    2005 Cincinnati Reds OF 102 102 876.2 252 244 5 3 1 --- --- ---2.56 .988

SEASON TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
    2005 Cincinnati Reds 106 399 70 114 28 0 25 78 217 46 79 0 1 .359 .544 .286

You tell me who the better player is...

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD

The guy has made no secret that he wants to win a ring before he retires. He's not going to do that here. It's totally logical that he'd want to be traded to a contender.
    I don't know if he's going to put the heat on the Reds to get it done, but I'm sure he'd be easily talked into waiving his 10/5 to go to a contender.
    Mr. Optomistic!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Why is it that the story doesn't appear on the main page, the Reds page, the Sports page, or the baseball page?

Hmm..these two loook similar too...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8829546/
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ id/8630071/
    Last edited by redsrule2500; 08-12-2005 at 12:57 PM.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan
    You can't possibly be serious that our best outfielder is splitting time with Wily Mo. I am sorry, but that is just wrong. Kearns may be a good outfielder in the future, but he has struggled this year to say the least.
    I think he was talking defensively.
    Go Gators!

Jjav829

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Griffey: "I have control. The Reds and Chicago have to make a deal."

Translation- Chicago Version: "I want to be traded to the Chicago White Sox."

Translation- Reality Verson: "I can't consider or comment on how I'd use my 10-and-5 rights until the Reds and White Sox actually present a trade option to me."

---End Translation---
    White Sox fan here to clarify. You are right with this post. This article was nothing short of sloppy journalism. The interview was conducted by ESPN1000 baseball insider Bruce Levine and is set to air in its entirerty Sunday morning on a show called Talking Baseball. Griffey did indeed say, "The Reds and Chicago have to make a deal." However, he didn't mean it the way the "journalist" who wrote this article took it. Griffey was asked something about waiving his 10-5 rights and/or coming to Chicago. He responded by saying that Chicago is a great place, his family comes here a lot, etc. but then went on to say he is a Red for now. He made the statement, "The Reds and Chicago have to make a deal," meaning that he won't worry about going anywhere else because a deal has to be made first before he waives his 10-5 rights.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    Mr. Optomistic!
    Well, I just don't think Jr has seen much in his 5 years here to be optimistic about. Even if the Reds got a genius GM this winter, Jr's contract is going to be up before they contend again.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Junior to Sox Rumor Won't Die

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...508130363/1071

Reds, agent, reiterate there's no deal in the works

By Kevin Kelly
    Enquirer staff writer

MILWAUKEE - The trade rumors linking Ken Griffey Jr. and the White Sox have resurfaced once again.

The Reds center fielder, who has the right to reject any trade, addressed the rumors Friday at Miller Park while also reiterating his desire to win a World Series before he retires.

"For me, it's going out, playing, and doing what I'm supposed to for this ballclub," Griffey said. "If the organization feels that they need to make a change with me, then we'll look at it and make up my mind when and if.

"If not, (I'll) continue doing what I'm doing. It's in my control, but it's not in my control. The only thing I have control over is, do I want to go? I have no control over who they talk to and what they talk about."

A recent USA Today Sports Weekly report said a deal had been struck to send Griffey to the White Sox for three prospects - with the Reds picking up a sizeable portion of the more than $40 million remaining on Griffey's contract that runs through 2008 with a club option for 2009 - but that Reds owner Carl Lindner ultimately vetoed the deal.

Reds chief operating officer John Allen said there was nothing to that report. General manager Dan O'Brien said then that he never talked to Griffey about a trade. Griffey and his agent, Brian Goldberg, said they were unaware of any potential trade.

The publication followed up the original report by stating Griffey, who has a short list of teams he would be willing to play for, "may be open to accepting a trade to the Chicago White Sox, if he clears waivers."

The Chicago Sun-Times, in Friday's editions, reported the White Sox could still be interested in Griffey.

A Reds official, speaking on condition of anonymity, reiterated Friday that nothing is going on.

Goldberg essentially said the same.

"The Reds told us right before the trade deadline that nothing was going on, and Junior wasn't going anywhere," he said Friday. "Until I hear otherwise from the Reds, and only the Reds, I happen to think that's true."

Griffey is in his sixth season playing for his hometown team, and playing well after undergoing surgery to repair a torn right hamstring in August 2004.

The 35-year-old entered Friday batting .286 with 25 home runs and 78 RBI, despite a slow start in April when he was still trying to get his legs under him. He's on pace to total 35 homers and 110 RBI this season.

The Reds were 52-62 and 20½ games behind the first-place Cardinals in the National League Central Division through Thursday.

"No matter what my situation is, and what is being said, I depend on these (teammates) and these guys depend on me," he said. "So until otherwise, when this organization says, 'Do you want to do this,' these are the guys that I depend on."

Asked if he'd prefer to stay in Cincinnati, Griffey said: "I'd prefer to win."

The Reds have yet to make the playoffs since they acquired Griffey from the Mariners in February 2000.

And while he has played in the American League Championship Series, doing so with the Mariners in 1995, Griffey is still looking for his first chance at a World Series championship ring.

"That's the main reason why you play this game," he said. "As a kid you don't talk about how much money you're going to make as an athlete. You talk about hitting a home run in the All-Star Game. You're always talking about that three-balls, two-strikes walkoff home run in the World Series."

-------------------------------

Sounds like he wouldn't be too sad if he went to Chi-town.

Quote Originally Posted by fielder's choice
    Have you been watching the same player as me? Do you remember that ball Randa hit in San Diego the other day, for example. How many other center fielders would have caught that ball? Very few.
    the question is, have YOU been watching. ive seen so many balls that have dropped over his head yet not been hr's or balls that hit the wall on the fly. the old jr NEVER would have had that happen and most good cf's now wouldnt either.

Turn Off Ads?