Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Its still the Economy

Re: Its still the Economy

Hey MWM, you should PM SteelSD, he's considering a move to the Twin Cities also.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    I don't think we have to think about protectionism either. For starters, provided health insurance might attract more manufacturing or at least keep it here.
    That might help, but I'm not so sure. He mentions engineers. You can get an engineer for $5k/year in India. That's why Intel, etc are creating all their new jobs there. Even if they don't have to pay health insurance here, that's not going to make a difference.

I think we're going to need at least some measure of protectionism, or else things are going to continue to spiral downhill. At bare minimum, tariff goods that do not meet the labor, environmental, and safety standards of the US government. What good does it do me to buy a wrench for a dollar cheaper if the Chineese ship dumps the polluted byproducts in the Pacific Ocean on the way over here? What about those Chineese women in basically slave labor camps sewing 14 hours/day until they get carpal tunnel and then thrown on the streets? There's no way the American Worker can compete with slave labor like that. This "free trade" is BS. It's not free trade. China has manipulated its currency for years (fixed exchange to US dollar) to help maintain its advantage. And there's many other things too numerous to mention, but I'm too tired tonight.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

"There's way too many lawyers in the world, but not nearly enough good ones."

"The cream will always rise to the top."

It all depends on a) where you're going to law school these days and b) where you rank within your class. If you attend an even somewhat prestigious school and graduate in the top part of your class, you *will* be courted by firms and corporations.

If you go to podunk university and graduate near the bottom of your class... yeah, you aren't going to be a very desirable candidate for a firm that has got so many different options available.

Not that one cannot succeed as a graduate of podunk law school; it's just that, by and large, the road will not be nearly as easy for those graduates as it is for those who graduate from "top" law schools.

Regardless of all that, though, in the most recent edition of U.S. News' report on every single of the 117 or so law schools in the United States, well over 90% of just about every graduating class is employed within nine months of graduation.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    That might help, but I'm not so sure. He mentions engineers. You can get an engineer for $5k/year in India. That's why Intel, etc are creating all their new jobs there. Even if they don't have to pay health insurance here, that's not going to make a difference.

I think we're going to need at least some measure of protectionism, or else things are going to continue to spiral downhill. At bare minimum, tariff goods that do not meet the labor, environmental, and safety standards of the US government. What good does it do me to buy a wrench for a dollar cheaper if the Chineese ship dumps the polluted byproducts in the Pacific Ocean on the way over here? What about those Chineese women in basically slave labor camps sewing 14 hours/day until they get carpal tunnel and then thrown on the streets? There's no way the American Worker can compete with slave labor like that. This "free trade" is BS. It's not free trade. China has manipulated its currency for years (fixed exchange to US dollar) to help maintain its advantage. And there's many other things too numerous to mention, but I'm too tired tonight.
    To clarify, I don't think we need knee-jerk protectionism. What your talking about, making free-trade contingent on labor and environmental standards, is perfectly reasonable. It will take international standards and monitoring that we alone are not up to however.

MWM, I'm glad that there still is a big demand for finance and marketing people, but that there is kind of butresses the point of the Roberts article. Namely, that all we do anymore is marketing and finance.

Some will say that this isn't a bad thing, that we've entered the "post-industrial" economy that values "knowledge workers". But if that's true then we are going to have to figue out how to make that work because a nation of hedge-fund managers and pizza delivery boys ain't very stable.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

I'm not worried about out-sourcing. Only yesterday I saw this: 'This t-shirt proudly made in America'.

(By illegal aliens) :

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I can attest (anecodtally, of course) that the market for professionals is almost bone dry.

The summer legal market (where a good number of law students build job contacts in the 2nd year summer) is almost completely dry, and the law market in general is extremely slow. I've heard about a lot of recent graduates that are having an incredibly difficult time finding any kind of employment -- one kid I know has just been waiting tables for over a year, already having passed the bar and just looking for somewhere to work.
    I am a 2002 graduate of Tulane Law, passed both the NY bar and the Florida bar and it took me 18 months to find a job.

Everywhere I went they told me that they were getting triple the number of applicants they expected.

Further, my brother, who was editor of his school newspaper, had a 3.7 GPA and works for the Democratic Governors Association, with recommendations from two professors and Governor Mark Warner of Virginia got rejected to 8 out of 8 law schools last fall. Yes, his LSAT were only average, but that only mattered because more and more people with college degrees (unable to find any jobs upon graduation) are applying to graduate and law schools in record numbers because its the only way to survive.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I am a 2002 graduate of Tulane Law, passed both the NY bar and the Florida bar and it took me 18 months to find a job.

Everywhere I went they told me that they were getting triple the number of applicants they expected.

Further, my brother, who was editor of his school newspaper, had a 3.7 GPA and works for the Democratic Governors Association, with recommendations from two professors and Governor Mark Warner of Virginia got rejected to 8 out of 8 law schools last fall. Yes, his LSAT were only average, but that only mattered because more and more people with college degrees (unable to find any jobs upon graduation) are applying to graduate and law schools in record numbers because its the only way to survive.
    Pretty much supply and demand scenario. Too many lawyers/not enough demand. (Although one would think that in this litigious society that wouldn't be the case.) Basicly, lawyers 'produce' nothing. They are a 'serivce business'. Sometimes, when there are too many janitors for the area that needs to be serviced, then some janitors are out of work. Same thing happens with lawyers, accountants, marketing executives (of which I are one : ). It's pretty much the normal ebb and flow of job areas that goes on over the years. As you get older you realize this-----just about the time in life when you are planning your 'second' career.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Pretty much supply and demand scenario. Too many lawyers/not enough demand. (Although one would think that in this litigious society that wouldn't be the case.) Basicly, lawyers 'produce' nothing. They are a 'serivce business'. Sometimes, when there are too many janitors for the area that needs to be serviced, then some janitors are out of work. Same thing happens with lawyers, accountants, marketing executives (of which I are one : ). It's pretty much the normal ebb and flow of job areas that goes on over the years. As you get older you realize this-----just about the time in life when you are planning your 'second' career.

Rem
    Well, there's no doubt there are too many lawyers out there, and that was before the economy took this bad turn (in my opinion). The problem I see is the ecomony is forcing even more people into law school, which is just going to further the problem.

As for the Business industry, I cannot speak on that cause honestly I just don't know, but if MWM says its OK, then I trust him as thats where he is heading so he knows - all I know is that law schools are packed to the brim right now and the legal field isn't going to be able to support them (and their loans!).
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

"The problem I see is the ecomony is forcing even more people into law school, which is just going to further the problem."

Um Puffy, I'm not trying to start anything here but how is the economy 'forcing' anyone into law school, said Remdog, scratching his head? People, it would seem to me, enter law school, to become lawyers, of their own free will and volition. Are the state unemployment boards now sending every fifth applicant for unemployement benefits to law school? Maybe people think it's a field where they can make a lot of money and so they gravitate to it for ulterior motives. Ya' think?

As for what MWM said about marketing positions, I concur. We've got a position a my Marriott property that only requires a year or two of background, pays between $75k-$90k (some commissions involved) and it's been open since April. We can't even get people to apply, much less take the job. Oh well,....

Rem

Um Puffy, I'm not trying to start anything here but how is the economy 'forcing' anyone into law school, said Remdog, scratching his head? People, it would seem to me, enter law school, to become lawyers, of their own free will and volition. Are the state unemployment boards now sending every fifth applicant for unemployement benefits to law school? Maybe people think it's a field where they can make a lot of money and so they gravitate to it for ulterior motives. Ya' think?
    It may not be forcing them into the field, but it is quite often the case that when the economy is lagging, there are more people that go for professional degrees or enter graduate school. They may be motivated by money as you say, but in good times they take that money right after their BS or BA, and in bad times they figure they might as well go on for more school and get more money later.

"The problem I see is the ecomony is forcing even more people into law school, which is just going to further the problem."

Rem
    Well, I wouldn't of thought you were trying to start something if maybe you used a little less sarcasm, but whatever.

The answer, Remdog, is simple. People graduate from college. They have a degree in some bullcrap, but its a college degree and human resources people still value that. However, instead of 10 jobs there are only 5 jobs. So 5 qualified people are left out in the cold whereas 5 years ago they would be gainfully employed. So now we have 5 people with college degrees living with mommy and daddy, out looking for jobs and finding nothing but mail clerk and fry cook.

Or, how about the people who are about to graduate from college who see the horrible job market, who see that the middle class is getting smaller while the lower class is getting larger who think I need more education or I'm gonna be sucked into that lower class.

So, they decide that going for more school will set them out, because obviously the college degree wasn't enough. So they go for more school, and hey law school is a good place because the world always needs lawyers, an attorney can always find a job, and if he can't well, hang a shingle out and start your own practice.

So yes, people are being forced into law school. And if you don't believe me, ask anyone on this board who is a recent grad or who is about to grad - yes, they have a choice, but its not a pretty one. I know of at least ten people who are about to enter law school who have all told me that law school was not the first, second or third choice, but they really didn't know what else to do.

Anyway, Remdog, its just my opinion from what people have told me, from what I experienced when I got out. And if you don't see it, or don't believe me, hey, to each his own.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

"Well, I wouldn't of thought you were trying to start something if maybe you used a little less sarcasm, but whatever."

Actually, I wasn't using any sarcasm at all so it appears to me that either you read my intent wrong or you're the one trying to start something. I even told you up front that I wasn't trying to start anything.....

Perhaps you'll make a very good lawyer. You apparently don't believe people that are trying to have an honest discussion.

Rem

Take it private guys.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

"Well, I wouldn't of thought you were trying to start something if maybe you used a little less sarcasm, but whatever."

Actually, I wasn't using any sarcasm at all so it appears to me that either you read my intent wrong or you're the one trying to start something. I even told you up front that I wasn't trying to start anything.....

Perhaps you'll make a very good lawyer. You apparently don't believe people that are trying to have an honest discussion.

Rem
    Remdog quote: "Basicly, lawyers 'produce' nothing. They are a 'serivce business'." (spelling and grammar unaltered)

I think Puffy was giving you the benefit of the doubt by calling you sarcastic. Based upon your combination of ignorance, incivility and defensiveness, I would describe you as banal and shrill, but lacking in originality, which I guess was what you were aiming at when you posted your "opnions".

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    Based upon your combination of ignorance, incivility and defensiveness, I would describe you as banal and shrill, but lacking in originality, which I guess was what you were aiming at when you posted your "opnions".

Ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Take it private guys.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?