Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

  1. #16
    MarsArmyGirl RosieRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,783

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    I want in on that conspiracy too.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,429

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Imagine how nice it would be to not be a slave to the oil companies any longer.
    You're barking up the wrong tree. I've long felt that gas prices should have been allowed to adhere to the rate of inflation, much like they have in Europe. Cheap fuel shouldn't be a birthright. Not enough people use mass transit in this country because the artificially low price of fuel makes it affordable not to do so.

    The cheap fuel has also given us air quality alerts, urban sprawl and decaying central cities, because US citizens have no financial disincentive for a 30-45 minute drive to and from work in a high-mileage, high-pollution vehicle.

    $6.00/gallon gas would actually free us from oil company hegemony. But it's painful and unfair to implement it in a society that is built around the premise that fuel costs about $1.25/gallon or less.
    /r/reds

  4. #18
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,175

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    They can..but will they?

    (conspiracy theory mode on)

    Car companies have always been big buddies with the oil companies, check out gas prices..do you think the oil people want people to buy less gas?

    (conspiracy theory mode off)
    I smell what you're cooking and your theory has merit. But if the demand for hybrid cars is out there, the Big 3 would be suckers not to build them. Just like when the gas crunch started in the 70s. Japan started building fuel efficient cars and people started buying them. Next thing you know the Big 3 started rolling out fuel efficient cars. If they were so set on wanting consumers to buy more gas, they'd still be building the same cars they did in the 60s. People aren't dependent on the Big 3 any more. If Detroit doesn't build a car someone wants, they can always look to Japan, Germany or other countries that make the car they want.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  5. #19
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    You're barking up the wrong tree. I've long felt that gas prices should have been allowed to adhere to the rate of inflation, much like they have in Europe. Cheap fuel shouldn't be a birthright. Not enough people use mass transit in this country because the artificially low price of fuel makes it affordable not to do so.

    The cheap fuel has also given us air quality alerts, urban sprawl and decaying central cities, because US citizens have no financial disincentive for a 30-45 minute drive to and from work in a high-mileage, high-pollution vehicle.

    $6.00/gallon gas would actually free us from oil company hegemony. But it's painful and unfair to implement it in a society that is built around the premise that fuel costs about $1.25/gallon or less.
    If you'd do a search on this forum, you'd find me advocating a $5/gallon gas tax to force ourselves OFF of the dependancy on oil. I have absolutely no qualms about high fuel costs, mainly because I don't do much driving myself.

    My comment, though, was in reference to the need to develop transportation modes that are less reliant on oil and, by default, oil-producing nations. Obviously, a hybrid car that gets hundreds of miles to the gallon is going to significantly decrease the consumption of oil in this country, so in that respect I believe my comments were correct.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  6. #20
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I smell what you're cooking and your theory has merit. But if the demand for hybrid cars is out there, the Big 3 would be suckers not to build them. Just like when the gas crunch started in the 70s. Japan started building fuel efficient cars and people started buying them. Next thing you know the Big 3 started rolling out fuel efficient cars. If they were so set on wanting consumers to buy more gas, they'd still be building the same cars they did in the 60s. People aren't dependent on the Big 3 any more. If Detroit doesn't build a car someone wants, they can always look to Japan, Germany or other countries that make the car they want.
    Yes, but "fuel efficient" still necessitated the purchase of fuel frequently, and in vast quantities. The Honda Accord doesn't consume gas like an Edsel, but it still consumes gas.

    The type of shift we're discussing would put a significant dent into the pockets of the oil companies, who are lining the pockets of politicians and auto executives. If the argument can be made that for years the cost of gas was artificially low, then you could equally say that the demand has been artificially high.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  7. #21
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,509

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Also, the holy grail of cars is Hydrogen Fuel cells.

    Absolutely no gas needed.

    Oil Companies don't want that.
    Go Gators!

  8. #22
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,038

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Also, the holy grail of cars is Hydrogen Fuel cells.

    Absolutely no gas needed.

    Oil Companies don't want that.
    The very earliest we may see production fuel cell powered cars is at least 15 years down the road.

    Hybrids are much more attainable in the near future.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  9. #23
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,429

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    The type of shift we're discussing would put a significant dent into the pockets of the oil companies, who are lining the pockets of politicians and auto executives. If the argument can be made that for years the cost of gas was artificially low, then you could equally say that the demand has been artificially high.
    Good point. It's been too long since I took Economics or I might have thought of that.

    I think the biggest obstacle to the automakers ramping up hybrid production is the lack of nimbleness in th auto industry. It takes most of a decade to bring new models or significant changes to market and to ramp up production on hybrids would require many suppliers of components for those vehicles to concurrently ramp up their production. None of that can happen with a snap of the fingers.

    As Chip said, if a new type of vehicle that sells for a higher price will outsell what the automakers are offering currently, they'd be foolish not to produce it. The rapid increases in the price of fuel are a relatively recent phenomenon in the marketplace, and it will take a few years for the automotive marketplace to shift and react to that. Combine that with the uncertainty that high fuel prices are here to stay and it almost makes one feel sorry for the automakers and the tough choices they face.
    /r/reds

  10. #24
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,509

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    The very earliest we may see production fuel cell powered cars is at least 15 years down the road.

    Hybrids are much more attainable in the near future.
    (still in conspiracy mode)

    Slow up the adoption of hybrids, and you can slow up when fuel cell cars arrive and their adoption.
    Go Gators!

  11. #25
    Member TeamCasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    TeamBoone's Attic
    Posts
    12,317

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    If you'd do a search on this forum, you'd find me advocating a $5/gallon gas tax to force ourselves OFF of the dependancy on oil. I have absolutely no qualms about high fuel costs, mainly because I don't do much driving myself.
    Wouldn't that be a disaster to the rest of the economy ..... domino effect to goods and services?

  12. #26
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,561

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Actually heard this one from a gas station guy today. He said the gas prices will keep going up closer to and maybe at $3.00/gallon until Labor Day. After Labor Day the prices should gradually come back down because it is easier for them to make the gas when it isn't so hot.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

    If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

  13. #27
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,509

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    I don't buy that but I have no info on if it's true or not.

    To me, this is an oil industry pushing the prices higher and higher to see how much the public will accept.

    But then I'm still on conspiracy mode
    Go Gators!

  14. #28
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,748

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    How much fossil fuel is burned though to charge up the batteries? How long do the batteries last? I hope this idea works, but without more information, it's hard to tell if it really saves fossil fuels, unless the local power plant is nuclear or some alternative generator.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  15. #29
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,740

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    How much fossil fuel is burned though to charge up the batteries? How long do the batteries last? I hope this idea works, but without more information, it's hard to tell if it really saves fossil fuels, unless the local power plant is nuclear or some alternative generator.
    I read that there are some resolved issues about how long the batteries will last, the cost to replace any batteries that wear out and how to safely dispose of the batteries without environmental problems.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  16. #30
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,748

    Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I read that there are some resolved issues about how long the batteries will last, the cost to replace any batteries that wear out and how to safely dispose of the batteries without environmental problems.
    That's my concern too. I'm not a battery expert, but a lot of batteries contain a lot of heavy metals. I'm not sure that longterm that it helps the environment to convert everyone to batteries. It should definitely be researched, but sometimes these articles spin the issue as if it's a no brainer to convert all cars to batteries. It's more complicated, IMO.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25