Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

Re: Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    Wouldn't that be a disaster to the rest of the economy ..... domino effect to goods and services?
    yes, it probably would, in the short term. But we're going to have to bite the bullet sooner or later on this. We had an opportunity to ensure a practically painless transition, as science for years has had the technology to replace oil as our standard energy source. But we were too consumed with our $1 per gallon gas and gas-guzzling cars to notice. Even at $3 a gallon, people may try to drive less, but really they're still just shrugging their shoulders and paying it. Gas at $6-$7 per gallon would certainly perk up some ears. Perhaps people would turn to public transportation, or car pooling, or working more from home. Perhaps people won't be so apt to buy their new house 30 miles away from where they will be working. And perhaps it will cause such an outcry that the government and auto manufacturers will be FORCED to provide alternative-fuel source transportation.

Is that scenario likely to happen? Not abruptly, no. But until people truly feel a pinch in their pocketbooks, it's goign to be difficult to rally widespread support for alternative sources of fuel, regardless of their benefits.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    That's my concern too. I'm not a battery expert, but a lot of batteries contain a lot of heavy metals.
    The world certainly doesn't need any more heavy metals.

We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I'm coaching cross country this fall at a high school about 45 minutes (an hour if traffic is at all bad) away from where I live. So I've been especially thrilled to see prices skyrocketing.

I did the coaching and driving back and forth thing last year (its a great job to have while going to school, it's part time and still pays ok), and it was quite a bit more economical than. I think this fall will probably be my last, at least when it comes to coaching at this particular school. I might try to catch on somewhere in Columbus next year.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    yes, it probably would, in the short term. But we're going to have to bite the bullet sooner or later on this. We had an opportunity to ensure a practically painless transition, as science for years has had the technology to replace oil as our standard energy source. But we were too consumed with our $1 per gallon gas and gas-guzzling cars to notice. Even at $3 a gallon, people may try to drive less, but really they're still just shrugging their shoulders and paying it. Gas at $6-$7 per gallon would certainly perk up some ears. Perhaps people would turn to public transportation, or car pooling, or working more from home. Perhaps people won't be so apt to buy their new house 30 miles away from where they will be working. And perhaps it will cause such an outcry that the government and auto manufacturers will be FORCED to provide alternative-fuel source transportation.

Is that scenario likely to happen? Not abruptly, no. But until people truly feel a pinch in their pocketbooks, it's goign to be difficult to rally widespread support for alternative sources of fuel, regardless of their benefits.
    Reading this thread I don't see much thought beyond the common consumer. The 8-5 guy with an SUV and a home to far from work. What about the farmers growing the crops, that produce the food for the consumers? And the truck drivers who move the goods and materials that fuel the economy. Both of these occupations are highly reliant on fossil fuels. Their costs are increasing at rates well above the rates of their profits. Truckers especially are running dangerously thin.

Here is a question. I need to trade my S-10 pickup truck, in on a much larger truck probably a Chevy 2500 HD 4X4. It will get 12mpg. I only drive 5,200 miles per year. What should I do? As a farmer I need the capacity. Not for pulling a boat, rv, or other foolhardy pursuit of pleasure, that is only used for 5 months a year, and the rest of the time is spent drinking gas. I need power year round.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Reading this thread I don't see much thought beyond the common consumer. The 8-5 guy with an SUV and a home to far from work. What about the farmers growing the crops, that produce the food for the consumers? .
    Yes, there are definitely legitimate uses for trucks. That's one of the main reasons that I oppose too much government interference in the car manufacturing process (such as requiring a certain MPG, etc).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?