Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mulholland Drive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mulholland Drive

1. I want that 2.5 hours of my life back. I thought Solaris was the worst movie I ever saw.

2. Huh? Was the blonde schizophrenic?

I guess I'll have to think about this some more, which was probably the intent. I'm just not sure I care.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Re: Mulholland Drive

Don't give in to the temptation to think about it. Try to put it as far out of your mind as possible.

The best explanation I've heard for it is that David Lynch tried to condense a proposed TV series into a two hour (or whatever) movie.

I've heard other explanations that may make sense, but thinking about them causes little bits of my brain to move to places they should never visit.

I've never seen it.

My parents did.

I don't think they liked it
    School's out. What did you expect?

Lost Highway was one of the creepiest, most confusing movies I've ever seen.

I read an explanation once that almost everything Lynch does is trying to deal with dreams and dreaming. Which made some sense to me. I haven't seen another Lynch movie besides Lost Highway, and I'm not sure I ever will. I didn't hate it really, but I really didn't like it either.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I haven't seen another Lynch movie besides Lost Highway
    Eraserhead is one strange dream.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Eraserhead is one strange dream.
    I'm actually somewhat scared of seeing that movie just from what I've read about it. And I don't really scare easily.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I like David Lynch.

I loved the first season of Twin Peaks. I loved Blue Velvet. Liked Mulholland Drive.

I thought Dune sucked, and the second season of Twin Peaks as well.

I know, I know.

Silencio.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

You cannot watch this film as a straight narrative, or a character study or even as any kind of linear story. You have to accept the dream logic you are presented with. In this mode, it discusses california history, Hollywood culture, and human psychology in many very interesting and sophisticated ways.

Mulholland Drive is one of the best films of the last five years.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

David Lynch is definitely an acquired taste. I have to be in a certain frame of mind to watch his films. I've never seen one that I out-and-out enjoyed, although I did appreciate the first season of Twin Peaks and the Twin Peaks movie.

I guess I haven't seen any of his films since the TP movie.

The Brown Bunny is probably the movie I've seen since that most reminded me of his work.

Symbolism and subtext.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I have to be in a certain frame of mind to watch his films.
    I should have picked up a nickel bag at my local pasture first.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    I should have picked up a nickel bag at my local pasture first.
    I was actually thinking along the lines of "highly focused, yet open minded." But, to each, his own.
    /r/reds

btw, I checked it out and yes, Mulholland Drive--or at least the first part--was originally intended to be the pilot for a series.

Perhaps the reason the last part of th film left a bitter taste in my mouth is that Lynch had a similar taste in his after ABC's rejection.

TC, check out the message board at IMDB.com:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166924/

A lot of questions can be answered by reading the threads there. I was very confused by this movie when I first saw it, but then after I dug on that board, it made a lot more sense. I meant to watch it again with this new perspective, but never got around to it.

Anyway, I now consider it a great movie (now that I'm enlightened ). It's very creepy, especially that scene with the miniature parents.

Oh, and you'll have to register to read the board, but it's okay. It's fairly quick and they don't distribute your info. It's an Amazon company.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

"Wild at Heart" was fantastic.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    "Wild at Heart" was fantastic.
    Totally agree.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?