Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV's Top 10 Villains

TV's Top 10 Villains

http://tv.msn.com/tv/TopBadGuys

J.R. Ewing, "Dallas"
    (CBS, 1978-1991). Larry Hagman's cunning portrayal of "Dallas's" scheming tycoon launched a thousand great bad guys, including Tony Soprano and Vic Mackey on "The Shield." Over his conniving, cheating, lying core, J.R. spread a glistening patina of Texas crude that made him irresistible, but no less deadly (Cliff Barnes, R.I.P.). Who didn't want to shoot him, darlin'?

Leland Palmer, "Twin Peaks"
    (ABC, 1990-1991). Yes, there were loads of creepy people on David Lynch's skin-crawling series -- whacked-out Leo,
    double-crossing Benjamin Horne, icy Catherine Martell -- but Laura Palmer's avuncular-seeming dad was by far the scariest. He killed his daughter (which viewers were spared) and then he killed her look-alike cousin, Maddie (which we weren't... shudder), and then his "spirit" appeared to live on in all the evildoings around town, including the mysterious BOB. Diane, the food is damn good -- but the villains, even better.

Mr. Burns, "The Simpsons"
    (Fox, 1989-present) Evil, cold (literally), calculating -- with (yellow) feet of clay. As an animated baddie, he owes a debt to Boris Badenov of "The Bullwinkle Show" (nefarious plans undone by own hubris) and Snidely Whiplash of "Dudley Do-Right" (drumming of fingers replacing twirling of mustache). But Montgomery Burns has his own way with words ("Simpson, I like the cut of your jib!"). Springfield -- not to mention Smithers -- would be lost without him.

Omarosa, "The Apprentice"
    (NBC, 2004). Does anyone even remember who won "The Apprentice" the season Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth appeared? No wonder; she eclipsed the entire boardroom with her scheming, double-crossing, take-no-prisoners approach. That she was gorgeous and supremely self-confident only added to her allure. Never mind the "Surreal Life" backslide; one day we'll all be working for her. And watching our backs.

Amanda Woodward, "Melrose Place"
    (Fox, 1992-1999) The minxy love child of J.R. Ewing and "All My Children's" Erica Kane, Heather Locklear's flinty Amanda was the steely backbone of Aaron Spelling's soapy masterpiece. What Amanda wanted, she got: businesses, boyfriends, real estate, other women's husbands. Nobody ever looked so fierce in a power mini-suit.

Bill O'Reilly, "The O'Reilly Factor"
    (Fox News, 1996-present). If Baretta -- or Travis Bickle --
    had his own newscast, this is what it'd be. For the throw-the-baloney-sandwich-at-the-TV-as-you-shriek quotient, you can't beat O'Reilly's show (though Nancy Grace's is a close second). He's a jerk and a proud provocateur; even if you disagree with him, you can hardly turn him off. That's right: Shut Up!

Catwoman, "Batman"
    (ABC, 1966-1968). Eartha Kitt and Lee Meriwether have their fans, but the Catwoman who earned nine lives for her statuesque, slinky nastiness was the original, Julie Newmar. Honestly, we never really thought the Joker, the Penguin or the Riddler could pull one over on Batman, but who could miss his squirming when Newmar padded in on little cat feet? Halle Berry, eat your heart out.

Eddie Haskell, "Leave It to Beaver"
    (ABC, 1957-1963). What saved this wholesome sitcom from a saccharine aftertaste was the unctuous, two-faced Eddie Haskell, whose very name has come to mean "insincere brownnoser" ("Why, good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver... "). Weren't we all just a little disappointed when the actor who played him, Ken Osmond, ended up becoming an L.A. cop and doing something meaningful with his life?

Maj. Frank Burns, "M*A*S*H"
    (CBS, 1972-1983; Burns 1972-1977). Larry Linville played the hypocritical, obsequious Burns to perfection as the foil of Capt. Hawkeye Pierce and gang. Burns' blowhard character took potshots as a stand-in for the Nixon administration as well as a military whose goals in Vietnam seemed murky at best. Typical exchange: Burns: "Why does everyone take an instant dislike to me?" Trapper John: "It saves time, Frank."

Soup Nazi, "Seinfeld"
    (NBC, 1990-1998). OK, I actually ate the real guy's soup in New York. He was horrible! And mean! (Good soup, though.) What, you thought Newman was a better bad guy? No soup for you!
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: TV's Top 10 Villains

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R

Omarosa, "The Apprentice"
    (NBC, 2004). Does anyone even remember who won "The Apprentice" the season Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth appeared? No wonder; she eclipsed the entire boardroom with her scheming, double-crossing, take-no-prisoners approach. That she was gorgeous and supremely self-confident only added to her allure. Never mind the "Surreal Life" backslide; one day we'll all be working for her. And watching our backs.
    Gorgeous? Give me a break. She was a total *****, and was lazy to boot. Her 15 minutes of fame were over before she got fired.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Omarosa looks like someone put her in a microwave and melted her face.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Eddie Haskel was harmless how could he be considered a villian?
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Soup Nazi? where's Newman?
    Go Gators!

Never thought of Frank Burns as a villian.

Sadly, Amanda of Melrose morphed into more of a damsel in distress/heroine after her first year on the show. It was totally absurd how they ended that series. I really don't consider her a villian at all.

I'll have to think about my favorite TV villian. I think good movies usually have a great villian, but on TV with only 30 minutes or an hour, most TV villians are poorly developed.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'm not necessarily a Conservative but Bill O'Reilly? I notice he mentioned Erica Kane a few times but didn't put her on the list. Of course I never saw Erica as a villain. More like Scarlett O'Hara. The Burnses and J.R. were obvious choices. Soup Nazi? 1 episode makes you a top 10 villain?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Those guys are pikers. This guy is a real villian.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

What about Boss Hogg?

Man Pills

Donald Rumsfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    What about Boss Hogg?
    TV villians, not internet ones.

While I'm still allowed to post:

What about the Borg or "Q" from Star Trek?

And going back to childhood, how about Gargamel from the Smurfs?

The Borg! good idea, sure they were wussified on Voyager but when they first showed up on TNG it was "OH CRAP"
    Go Gators!

I agree about The Borg. Good choice by UKFlounder.
    I also agree with Chip R-I don't watch O'Reilly's show, but that sounds like a pick just because someone didn't like his politics. By that standard, Al Franken and Robert Novak and Bill Maher and Bill Buckley and a whole lot of people could be picked, none of whom fit the "TV villain" label to me.
    J.R. Ewing deserved his no. 1 pick in my book.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I also agree with Chip R-I don't watch O'Reilly's show, but that sounds like a pick just because someone didn't like his politics. By that standard, Al Franken and Robert Novak and Bill Maher and Bill Buckley and a whole lot of people could be picked, none of whom fit the "TV villain" label to me.
    The difference between O'Reilly and the four men you mentioned is that Buckley, Maher, Novak, and Franken can form complete, coherent thoughts. Anyone who butchers logic and the English language as badly as O'Reilly is a villain in my book.

Turn Off Ads?