Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Power Ranger and wife charged with murder...along with Crips gang member JFK

Former Power Ranger and wife charged with murder...along with Crips gang member JFK

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...E-YACHT-DC.XML

By Tori Richards

SANTA ANA, California (Reuters) - A former child actor and his wife were ordered to stand trial on Tuesday for the murder of a wealthy California couple who, prosecutors say, were tied to the anchor of their yacht and thrown overboard alive, never to be seen again.

Orange County Superior Court Judge John Conley ordered 26-year-old Skylar Deleon, who once starred in the "Power Rangers" TV series, and his wife, 24-year-old Jennifer Henderson Deleon, to stand trial for the murders after a two-day preliminary hearing in Santa Ana, south of Los Angeles.

Also bound over for trial in the case, which baffled police for months as they searched for the missing couple, were a member of the Crips street gang and a prison guard who are accused of helping carry out a conspiracy to steal the 55-foot (17-meter) luxury yacht "Well Deserved."

"It's haunting to think these nice, loving people were trying to hold their breaths as they sank to the bottom of the ocean," Deputy District Attorney Matt Murphy said during the hearing. "This is as cold-blooded as it gets."

Prosecutors say Deleon came up with the plot after spotting the yacht for sale in a boating magazine last November and meeting owners Thomas Hawks, 57, and his 47-year-old wife Jackie.

He is accused of enlisting the help of 40-year-old gang member John Fitzgerald Kennedy and ex-jailer Alonso Machain, 21, to carry out the murder on November 15, 2004. Machain has since confessed to police and will be tried separately.

Attorneys for the Deleons rejected the charges and during the hearing attacked the credibility of Machain, who is expected to be a star witness for the prosecution.

A police detective testified during the hearing that Deleon and his then-pregnant wife posed as interested buyers and convinced the Hawks to take the yacht on a test run.

Miles off the coast of Newport Beach, prosecutors say, Thomas and Jackie Hawks were attacked with a stun gun, handcuffed and gagged with duct tape. After signing over power of attorney to one assailant, they were tied to the boat's 66-pound (30-kg) anchor and thrown overboard.

The couple was reported missing by relatives and police were led to the Deleons, who produced a bill of sale for the yacht and the power of attorney. Authorities believe the bill of sale was falsified.

Police also found that Deleon had unsuccessfully tried to access the Hawks' bank account in Arizona using the power of attorney.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Former Power Ranger and wife charged with murder...along with Crips gang member JFK

Judge: 3 must stand trial for murder
    After a two-day hearing, it is ruled that two men and one woman will stand trial for murder of couple missing since November.
    By Lauren Vane, Daily Pilot

A Newport Beach couple fought back in the final moments of their lives before they were overpowered, bound with tape, chained to the anchor of their yacht and thrown overboard, a police detective testified Tuesday.

After a two-day preliminary hearing, Orange County Superior Court Judge John Conley ruled that two men and one woman will stand trial for the murder of Tom and Jackie Hawks, who have been missing since November. Their bodies have not been found.

The bulk of the testimony Tuesday came from Newport Beach Police Det. Evan Sailor, who recounted the details of the alleged murders based on information from Alonso Machain, 21, of Pico Rivera. Machain confessed to police he was aboard the Hawkses' 55-foot cabin cruiser Well Deserved and participated in the Nov. 15 murders along with Skylar Deleon and John Fitzgerald Kennedy, both of Long Beach, Sailor testified.

Five people have been charged with the Hawkses' murders. Kennedy, 40, Deleon, 26, and his wife, Jennifer Henderson-Deleon, 24, were in court Tuesday. Machain and Myron Gardner, 42, have been granted a separate hearing, scheduled for Oct. 7. Each of the five faces two counts of murder, with special circumstances of murder for financial gain and multiple murder. The special circumstances make each of the five eligible for the death penalty if convicted.

Tuesday's testimony was the first detailed public accounting of the events surrounding the Hawks' deaths. Outside the courtroom, the Hawks family reacted to the disturbing testimony.

"I know that they put up a fight," Ryan Hawks, Tom's son from a previous marriage, said of the account of his parents' struggle to live. "I'm his son.... He's my one and only."

According to Sailor's testimony regarding Machain's firsthand account, Machain said that DeLeon told him the Hawkses were bad people who had angered someone and that he needed to make them disappear. DeLeon reportedly promised Machain "several million dollars" if he participated in the murders, Sailor said.

DeLeon told Machain he had done it before, though usually not for money, and he told Machain he was usually able to keep the people's property, Sailor testified.

Machain and DeLeon met each other in a Seal Beach jail where Machain was working as a jailer, Sailor said.

DeLeon showed Machain pictures of the Hawkses' boat and discussed the plan to kill them and take the boat, Sailor said.

The pictures were kept on DeLeon's laptop and taken from advertisements publicizing the sale of the boat, Deputy Dist. Atty. Matt Murphy said.

DeLeon and Machain met the Hawkses for the first time Nov. 6, bringing with them stun guns and handcuffs, intent on killing them that day, Sailor said Machain told him in an interview.

Sometime during that meeting, DeLeon decided that Tom Hawks was too big for the two men to overpower; he canceled the plan and plotted to return at another time with a third accomplice, Sailor said.

Machain told Sailor that on the way home from the Nov. 6 visit, DeLeon called his wife and told her that she need to meet the Hawks in person "to make them feel more at ease."

On Nov. 9, DeLeon and Machain visited the Hawkses again, discussed the potential purchase and took specific notice of how to operate the yacht, Sailor said.

DeLeon and Machain drove to a Long Beach liquor store Nov. 15, where they met a man later identified by Machain as John Kennedy, whom DeLeon solicited for help in murdering the Hawkses, Sailor testified.

DeLeon and Kennedy did not know each other before the day of the murder, Machain told Sailor. Machain did not know Kennedy's name Nov. 15, but later identified Kennedy out of a police lineup provided by Long Beach police detectives, Sailor said. DeLeon had told Machain that the man they met at the liquor store was a former member of a Long Beach gang, Sailor said.

In the car ride from Long Beach to Newport, the three men discussed the plan, Sailor said. It was decided that DeLeon and Kennedy would take care of Tom Hawks and Machain would take care of Jackie Hawks, Sailor said.

The men parked several blocks away from the dock at 15th Street in Newport Harbor and called Tom Hawks, who met them and took them out to the mooring and onto the Well Deserved for what the Hawks believed was a test drive, Sailor said.

Kennedy was introduced as DeLeon's accountant, Sailor said.

Once the boat left Newport Harbor, Machain told Sailor, Kennedy feigned sea-sickness and went below to the bedroom. At some point, Tom Hawks went downstairs and was joined by DeLeon, Sailor said. Machain told police he remained upstairs with Jackie Hawks, Sailor said.

Jackie heard the sounds of a struggle coming from below and tried to go downstairs when Machain restrained her -- at first unsuccessfully attempting to use the stun gun, then handcuffing her, Sailor said.

Machain told police that he saw only the last part of a struggle between Tom Hawks and DeLeon and Kennedy, Sailor said.

Both Tom and Jackie Hawks' eyes and months were covered with black duct tape, and they were brought up to the main deck, where they were told they would live only if they signed power of attorney documents, Sailor said.

The Hawks were released from the handcuffs so they could sign the documents, Machain told Sailor.

After the Hawkses signed the documents, , they were tied together with rope and handcuffed to the boat's 66-pound anchor, Sailor said.

Tom Hawks made a final effort to save himself and his wife. Machain told Sailor that Hawks kicked DeLeon in the groin, knocking him to the ground, Sailor said. DeLeon then got up and, with a smile, threw the anchor overboard, Sailor testified. The force of the anchor dragged the Hawkses through an open door on the ship's deck and into the water, Sailor said.

Machain recounted that Jackie Hawks hit the side of the door "pretty hard" when the anchor pulled them into the water, Sailor said.

After that, the three men searched the boat, taking money they found aboard in a briefcase and envelope, Sailor testified Machain told him.

Gardner, the fifth man charged in the couple's murder, has yet to be connected to the crime.

"He wasn't on the boat," Murphy, the deputy district attorney, said outside of court Tuesday.

Murphy refused to comment on Gardner's relationship with Kennedy or DeLeon.

That was a very cold-blooded, cruel execution.

Rem

Re: Former Power Ranger and wife charged with murder...along with Crips gang member JFK

That is the craziest story I have ever heard...and, unfortunately, I believe every last word of it...

Unreal how cold hearted people can be. What a sad story. Too bad California doesn't have the death penalty (IIRC).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Last I heard, it does. And these people deserve it.

Rem

Re: Former Power Ranger and wife charged with murder...along with Crips gang member J

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Unreal how cold hearted people can be. What a sad story. Too bad California doesn't have the death penalty (IIRC).
    They have it but methinks it will be many years before these creeps are served their justice.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Last I heard, it does. And these people deserve it.

Rem
    Thanks rem, if the above is true, hopefully they'll get it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

For someone who grew up watching Power Rangers, I dont remember who Skyler was. Maybe somebody could help me?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: Former Power Ranger and wife charged with murder...along with Crips gang member J

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    For someone who grew up watching Power Rangers, I dont remember who Skyler was. Maybe somebody could help me?
    Several articles have said that Deleon was once a regular on the series, but I find nothing at all on him at imdb.com.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

California still has the death penalty. It's just that the process is so incredibly slow, they've only executed a handfull of ppl. in the past few decades with hundreds sitting on death row for decades on end. In other words, it's a perfectly well functioning piece of government.

I found this on a TV.com - power rangers board

http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.ht...2&ref_type=101

Before anyone asks, Skylar was nothing but a no-line extra who lied and said he was a star.

"But the article says he starred on the show, it's from Reuters? It's from Reuters, it must be true. There was also an article on CNN.com"

The tool who wrote this article forgot to check their sources. Hell, the fact that he has no IMDB and TV.com page should have set off a red flag. Of course a reputable news source like Reuters at least would have done this before publishing an article, or at least contact ABC/Disney (who issued a statement saying that he was nothing more than an extra 6 months ago when this was actually news), right?

The bottom line is that the writer of the article screwed up, Skylar is nothing more than an extra and isn't even a child star. A one time appearance as an extra at the age of 14 doesn't make someone a "child star".
    Larkin is a First-Ballot HOFer in my book...

Why not try the celebrity defense. California hates to find celebs guilty.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050820/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

By Tori Richards Fri Aug 19, 8:38 PM ET

NEWPORT BEACH, California (Reuters) - A former child actor already facing trial for hijacking a yacht and throwing the owners overboard, bound to the anchor, has been charged in a second murder, prosecutors said on Friday.

Skylar James Deleon, 26, who once appeared in the "Power Rangers" TV series, was accused in the second case of luring a man to Mexico in December of 2003, slitting his throat and leaving the body by the side of a road.

His wife, Jennifer, and cousin Michael William Lewis, both 24, were charged with helping conceal the murder of 45-year-old John Jarvi.

Police linked the Deleons to Jarvi's unsolved murder after finding that he had been incarcerated with the one-time child actor at the Seal Beach City Jail in 2003, Orange County Deputy District Attorney Susan Schroeder said.

Schroeder said that the day before the murder Jarvi had cashed two $25,000 checks and made a phone call to Deleon.

Two hours after the call, she said, Deleon spent $18,000 in new $100 bills at a boatyard and deposited $21,000 into a joint account with his wife. He also bought a $2,200 wedding band for her, Schroeder said.

Defense attorneys for the Deleons declined to comment, saying that they had not yet seen details of the accusations.

The charges were announced just three days after the Deleons were ordered to stand trial for the murders of a Newport Beach couple, Thomas and Jackie Hawks, who vanished in November of 2004 and whose bodies have never been found.

Also charged in that case, which baffled police for months as they searched for the missing couple, are 40-year-old Crips gang member John Fitzgerald Kennedy and ex-jailer Alonso Machain, 21.

Prosecutors say the Deleons posed as interested buyers of the 55-foot (17 meter) yacht and convinced the Hawks to take the vessel on a test run.

Miles off the coast of Newport Beach, prosecutors say, Thomas and Jackie Hawks were attacked with a stun gun, handcuffed and gagged with duct tape. After signing over power of attorney to one assailant, they were tied to the boat's 66-pound (30-kg) anchor and thrown overboard.

The couple was reported missing by relatives and police were led to the Deleons, who produced a bill of sale for the yacht and the power of attorney. Authorities believe the bill of sale was falsified.

Police also found that Deleon had unsuccessfully tried to access the Hawks' bank account using the power of attorney.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I'm reading somewhere he was an extra. That's why they don't mention more of it in the articles.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8930680/
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I was thinking about this case a bit while I was gone and it seems to me that, besides the obvious murder charge, this was also piracy on the high seas. I wonder if there are any old laws on the books (California or otherwise) that could be invoked.

Maybe the government could make these guys 'walk the plank' if convicted.

Rem

WAGS

his pic reminded me of the blue ranger kinda

Turn Off Ads?