Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fetal Tissue (from Aborted Fetus) Heals Burns

Re: Fetal Tissue (from Aborted Fetus) Heals Burns

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    I know that's supposed to be a joke, but to me, that's absolutely insensitive and disgusting, and definitely not funny at all.
    It's no joke. It's how the "right wing" fundalmentalist christians betrays people like me. I don't really care if you think it's insensitive and disgusting. It's not funny. And it's not meant to be a joke. It's more like sarcasm.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    It's no joke. It's how the "right wing" fundalmentalist christians betrays people like me. I don't really care if you think it's insensitive and disgusting. It's not funny. And it's not meant to be a joke. It's more like sarcasm.
    cf. "Modest Proposal" Jonathan Swift. Good satire doesn't raise laughter, it raises disgust.

I guess I'm a right-wing fundamentalist Christian (not really sure)... and I don't betray (nor portray) you or any other person who believes in abortion that way. And an overwhelming percentage of evangelicals also don't characterize those who are pro-abortion that way. Sighting some extreme case - as it has been done in the past - where some nutcase (who probably was as Christian as Charles Manson), and who blows up an abortion clinic, as being indicative and characterizes evangelicals - or to even assume we support such actions- as a whole is simply ridiculous; but seems to be the "norm" anymore. Silly characterzation IMO.

I find it interesting that someone is somehow considered an extremist or "right-wing" for believing that what that woman is carrying is life, and therefore, to take it is somehow immoral and indicative of how our society has evolved. There is an issue of passion involved. I'm sure you wouldn't be saying the same about those whose "passion" lined up with your ideology.

I might also add that there are many in our society today that feel abortion is wrong, and are not religious at all. Also - many who are pro-choice also think the same way - the difference is they also believe that it's simply a choice left up to the individual.

And I will graceful exit this thread because there is no way it will remain civil. You start this thread - then turn around and immediately post a sarcastic remark meant to incite a particular segment on here that you differ with? And I somehow feel that was your intent to begin with?
    Last edited by GAC; 08-18-2005 at 10:09 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Perhaps then we shouldn't use murder victims' body parts for organ donation or things of that nature.
    Not a really good example. Organs from a murder victim can't be used for transplant for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Not all aborted fetuses come from mothers who don't want their children. Sometimes abortions are conducted because the survivability of the child is low or because there is a danger to the mother's life. And you also have to consider miscarriages.

If fetal tissue from these cases can be used to treat literally hundreds of thousands of burn victims, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with that.
    I completely agree, Johnny. And the examples that you've cited are the exact things that I thought about when I first read about this.

Miscarriages are nature's natural abortion. Termination of a fetus that has absolutely no chance of surviving because of genetic defects too great to make it possible for the fetus to develop completely. It's going to happen no matter what, so if it does, there's no reason why this awful event can't be put to a good use. Same goes for abortions that are performed for the sole reason of medical necessity.

Maybe you don't care what I think. But maybe that's also why I won't be returning to these discussions. Because they are not civil discussions but political peeing matches.

FWIW, I am not a right wing fundamentalist, but someone who just thinks that discussion can try to be civil, (both sides, mind you).

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    Maybe you don't care what I think. But maybe that's also why I won't be returning to these discussions. Because they are not civil discussions but political peeing matches.

FWIW, I am not a right wing fundamentalist, but someone who just thinks that discussion can try to be civil, (both sides, mind you).
    I don't see you distancing yourself from the "harness them and throw them in the dumpster" talk. You were more upset about my sarcastic remarks. But that's to be expected.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Who is David Hume? I've never heard of him.
    David Hume was an influential 18th century philosopher who advanced the idea of utiltarianism, an idea "that the explanation of moral principles is to be sought in the utility they tend to promote."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hume#Utilitarianism
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan
    I completely agree, Johnny. And the examples that you've cited are the exact things that I thought about when I first read about this.

Miscarriages are nature's natural abortion. Termination of a fetus that has absolutely no chance of surviving because of genetic defects too great to make it possible for the fetus to develop completely. It's going to happen no matter what, so if it does, there's no reason why this awful event can't be put to a good use. Same goes for abortions that are performed for the sole reason of medical necessity.
    Except that some do not accept abortion for ANY reason, so that still creates an ethical problem (and yes, I know what the laws are). It is as wrong as parents who purposefully concieve another child to use his/her bone marrow for a sibling that needs it to survive or be healthy (which is an example of a utilitarian ethic). Planting, growing, and harvesting unwitting humans will always place a higher value on one human's life over another's, which is in opposition to an ethic that says each and every human being has individual worth and dignity in and of themselves, which our government gives lip service to because they know it says "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" in the Declaration of Independence, but violates that basic principal upon which our country was founded every time a legal abortion is performed in this country.

Also, "nature" is an inanimate concept that cannot be assigned power over determining life or death. With that said, if "nature" has an abortion method to take care of babies that do not survive in utero, is it not violating the laws of "nature" if the baby survives without a miscarriage yet is aborted by man's hand?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Except that some do not accept abortion for ANY reason, so that still creates an ethical problem (and yes, I know what the laws are). It is as wrong as parents who purposefully concieve another child to use his/her bone marrow for a sibling that needs it to survive or be healthy (which is an example of a utilitarian ethic). Planting, growing, and harvesting unwitting humans will always place a higher value on one human's life over another's, which is in opposition to an ethic that says each and every human being has individual worth and dignity in and of themselves, which our government gives lip service to because they know it says "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" in the Declaration of Independence, but violates that basic principal upon which our country was founded every time a legal abortion is performed in this country.

Also, "nature" is an inanimate concept that cannot be assigned power over determining life or death. With that said, if "nature" has an abortion method to take care of babies that do not survive in utero, is it not violating the laws of "nature" if the baby survives without a miscarriage yet is aborted by man's hand?
    A bunch of cells isn't life. Life is life. And well, in your quickness to point out "Life" in the Declaration, you fondly neglect "Liberty."

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    A bunch of cells isn't life. Life is life. And well, in your quickness to point out "Life" in the Declaration, you fondly neglect "Liberty."

Oh well.
    What are you but a "bunch of cells," then? BTW, my baby that was miscarried in the very early days was not a "bunch of cells," sir.

If you want to analyze word for word, note the "all men" as well.
    Last edited by traderumor; 08-19-2005 at 12:23 AM.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Man Pills

What are you but a "bunch of cells," then?

If you want to analyze word for word, note the "all men" as well.
    A teratoma tumor is a bunch of cells--containing teeth, hair, and skin. Nasty little critter.

Hey, I'm not potential, I'm the real thing, baby.

David Hume was an influential 18th century philosopher who advanced the idea of utiltarianism, an idea "that the explanation of moral principles is to be sought in the utility they tend to promote."
    Thanks for the link. It sounds like he had a pretty good grasp of reality.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hume#Utilitarianism
    Tom's great-great-great grandfather. I'm surprised none of you heard ever heard of him. . Just goes to show the failures of the American educational system. Why I always like to read a little 18th century philosophy every day. It answers a lot of questions.

Turn Off Ads?