Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Long No. 50? Hawaiian Senator working towards Hawaiian independence from the US

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

So Long No. 50? Hawaiian Senator working towards Hawaiian independence from the US

I have to say, this story took me completely off guard

Quotes from Hawaii Sen. Akaka

http://hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx...165a139e<br />

Senator DANIEL AKAKA (Democrat, Hawaii): It creates a government-to-government relationship with the United States. KASTE: Democratic Senator Dan Akaka, himself a native, wants Congress to let Hawaiians re-establish their national identity. He says his bill would give them a kind of legal parity with tribal governments on the mainland, but he says this sovereignty could eventually go further, perhaps even leading to outright independence.

Sen. AKAKA: That could be. As far as what's going to happen at the other end, I'm leaving it up to my grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
    Two former Senators were worried enough by the bill to pen an oped piece for the Wall Street Journal

http://opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007117

Question is, does the Senate even have the Constitutional right to go ahead and do this, elevate a State from statehood status to Tribal Government on the way to independence?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: So Long No. 50? Hawaiian Senator working towards Hawaiian independence from the U

Apparently the 1993 apology issued by the Federal government for the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy set this in motion. We have that Congress to thank.

The native Hawaiians have a powerful argument, but at first glance, it's hard to fathom this Congress lifting a finger to enable Hawaii to secede. It could well be forced in the courts, though. Those Hawaiian military bases are too strategic to abandon, and I'm sure the rental payments to a Hawaiian national government would be astronomical.

OTOH, Hawaii is one of the most dependably-blue states, so letting the state secede would strengthen the Republican majority in Congress. Maybe the GOP is quietly bolstering this movement?
    /r/reds

Re: So Long No. 50? Hawaiian Senator working towards Hawaiian independence from the US

I doubt they let it happen.

If you let the Hawaiians go independent, what's to stop other areas of the country from lobbying to be independent? South Carolina tried it once, and it wasn't met with very favorably

It isn't too far fetched to think that another part of the country would want independence. Let's say a 8 county region in Ohio declared independence. They could form their own country without any national debt, no national income tax, no burden of supporting the military, etc. They could reduce their "national" government to be much smaller and efficient than a state government. They could even do things like lower the drinking age, legalize gambling, etc to bring a lot of money into the region. Heck, no state/federal taxes (or reduced taxes) alone would be a good reason to move there.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Re: So Long No. 50? Hawaiian Senator working towards Hawaiian independence from the US

Let em go.

Then invade
    Go Gators!

Re: So Long No. 50? Hawaiian Senator working towards Hawaiian independence from the U

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD

If you let the Hawaiians go independent, what's to stop other areas of the country from lobbying to be independent? South Carolina tried it once, and it wasn't met with very favorably
    I think the geographic separation of over 1,000 miles of Pacific Ocean makes Hawaii's secession more feasible than any of the lower 48, but I doubt it will happen, too. My guess is Congress will boost the amount of Federal $$$ the state receives to make this go away.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Let em go.

Then invade
    I think you mean "liberate".
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD

It isn't too far fetched to think that another part of the country would want independence. Let's say a 8 county region in Ohio declared independence. They could form their own country without any national debt, no national income tax, no burden of supporting the military, etc. They could reduce their "national" government to be much smaller and efficient than a state government. They could even do things like lower the drinking age, legalize gambling, etc to bring a lot of money into the region. Heck, no state/federal taxes (or reduced taxes) alone would be a good reason to move there.
    numbered bank accounts. and yodellers. lots of yodellers.

Osama bin Laden's grand plan for Sept. 11 was to start in motion the process where the U.S. states would fight with each other in a Civil War of sorts. His limited understanding of this country led him to believe that some states would close their borders while others would form alliances against the government.

Now Hawaii wants this? Geesh

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    Osama bin Laden's grand plan for Sept. 11 was to start in motion the process where the U.S. states would fight with each other in a Civil War of sorts. His limited understanding of this country led him to believe that some states would close their borders while others would form alliances against the government.

Now Hawaii wants this? Geesh
    Hmm, not so sure about that. Bin Laden and his ilk want our military bases and people out of traditionally Islamic countries, and he wants us to quit supporting Israel with money and weapons.

If he can divide people here with catastrophic events, as it relates to our foreign policy and executive administration, then that's all the better.

Hawaii's senator would be doing this regardless of 9/11 I think.

I don't believe that the loss of Hawaii would put the republic in any danger. The military bases are strategic, but I doubt that a Hawaiian national government would turn down the rent money to keep them there or resent the security they provide against an invasion.

If the natives want autonomy, I don't see why heels need to be dug in to keep them in the union. It's not like there are other states lining up to secede behind them. Hawaii is a special case - and it's over 1,000 miles away from the nearest neighboring states.
    /r/reds

But..we can't have 49 states! uneven numbers suck!

Add DC?
    Go Gators!

Somewhere Jefferson Davis says: "Right On!"
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Why not just let Hawaii become like Guam and the Northern Marianas Islands, just become a U.S. Territory as opposed to a state?

Being a native West Virginian, I've often thought that we should secede from the union, declare war on the US, and immediately surrender. The US government would then come in with tons of federal aid and rebuild us. Things would be better than ever.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Being a native West Virginian, I've often thought that we should secede from the union, declare war on the US, and immediately surrender. The US government would then come in with tons of federal aid and rebuild us. Things would be better than ever.
    Do you really think that a soveriegn WV could resist invading Kentucky if given teh chance?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?