Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: XM Radio -- the fans best friend

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

XM Radio -- the fans best friend

I know I'm more like a magpie day after day and preaching he gospel of XM is something I'm very evangelical about.

If you don't have XM, get it now. You can get a XM radio for your car for $35 now at certain web sites and the the $12.95 cost per month means you only spend $190 the first year and $155 thereafter for 24/7 baseball, 365 days a year. It's wonderful

This afternoon, I had to go to Beckley, WV to a meeting and in the car was the Reds game as well as Channel 175. Switching back and forth between those two channels, I got my fill of baseball (not really). Tonight, I get all the radio highlights as I try to sleep and in the morning, I can wake up to Buck Martinez and friends to discuss the night's games. At one point they had an interview with a reporter who did an interview with "Shoeless Joe" for Sport magazine way back when. Of course, they also had Marty and others on for discussion.

If you're a true baseball fan, you need this. Yes, I own stock in the company, but I'm not going to get rich with it. And the music channels rock.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: XM Radio -- the fans best friend

I love baseball. But I'll take my radio free, thank you.
    As for music...my iPod has the music I like (and I've PAID for).

Just sayin'. Satellite radio may be great. But it's not for everyone. And it's NOT cheap.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    I love baseball. But I'll take my radio free, thank you.
    As for music...my iPod has the music I like (and I've PAID for).

Just sayin'. Satellite radio may be great. But it's not for everyone. And it's NOT cheap.

You won't take anything like this free.

It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I've got it in the car and my office, and I never turn it off.

Think about it, with all the free radio out there, why would anyone pay for content. It's because it's so far superior to free, commercial packed radio. And the baseball channel alone is worth it to me.

I agree 100% with WVRedsFan.

Last edited by RFS62; 08-19-2005 at 07:45 AM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

I have XM and it's great. I listen to Reds Games, MLB Home Plate, O&A, CSPAN radio, and Air America . I also tune into some of the music from time to time.

I guess its all relative to how much of a premium you put on your entertainment. As for me I love XM and all the baseball channels. Patrick, Martinez, and Bowa actually have a pretty decent show. They are much better on radio than on TV.

I have a friend who loves bluegrass music. If you are a bluegrass fan in my area you know that the only time you can listen to it on the radio is Sunday afternoon. I told him about XM and that they have a bluegrass channel 24/7. His response was that he wasn't paying for something that was free. My response was 10 years ago you wouldn't have given a $1 for bottled water either when you could get water out of the tap for free. Now he buys it before purchasing a soda.

If you love baseball give up three McD's extra value meals a month and it is paid for. You will not be dissapointed.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Call me a holdout. But I hate having stuff forced down my throat.
    Detroit and the satelite radios co. are pretty much doing just that.

Time will show (remember cable TV), that satellite radio will not be commercial-free for long.

:thumbdown

Give me something that gives me added value AND saves me money (like Netflix/Blockbuster online) and I'll sign up every time.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I also have XM and it is the best $12 I spend each month. I listen to the great baseball coverage, several great music stations and Opie and Anthony every day. If you ever switch to XM you will never go back to listening to regular radio again.

The state of commercial radio in Indy is so bad, I recently bought a satellite system for my car. I debated between XM and Sirius and went with Sirius because we can pick up WLW and the Reds games on regular radio and that's the only baseball I care about. With Sirius I get a bluegrass station (although they seem to play the same 100 songs over and over), the NHL, NBA and NFL. There are also at least 3 oldies channels on Sirius,which is fun. For me it's worth the cost.

I had XM, but I found myself flipping though the stations way too often and not paying attention to the road. I gave it to my wife, and she keeps it locked on the rap stations.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Opie and Anthony, MLB 175, and Laugh USA are my 3 channels that I listen to the most. It's worth the price. I will never go back to broadcast radio.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I have it and love it. My wife thinks it was crazy to pay for something you should be able to get for 'free.' I pointed out that we pay 50$ a month for TV and of course she tried to say it wasn't the same thing.

Let me tell you my friends, it's not the same thing, it's better. This isn't like paying for 700 WLW, or WEBN or any other over the air braodcast channel. These are hundreds of channels tailored to anyone and everyone's particular tastes. You've got the baseball, which is why I bought it and what I listen to 90% of the time. You've got every type music under the sun from rock, rap, pop, and country to various decades hits [for those of you still stuck in the 70's it's on channel 7 all day long] and you even get little niche like things. For instance on the punk channel there is a program called Hee Haw Hell which is something I like a bit, basically rockabilly punk stuff. Very cool, but it's less than 1/10 of 1% of the great things on XM.

Like I said, you're already paying for TV, internet, etc, so don't think of this as paying for something else you can get for free, think of it as an upgrade over the caveman radio to which you currently listen.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Call me a holdout. But I hate having stuff forced down my throat.
    Detroit and the satelite radios co. are pretty much doing just that.

Time will show (remember cable TV), that satellite radio will not be commercial-free for long.

:thumbdown

Give me something that gives me added value AND saves me money (like Netflix/Blockbuster online) and I'll sign up every time.
    Truer words were never spoken. Eventually, XM and Sirius will both collapse under the pressure of the almighty dollar. It will happen so gradually you won't even notice it. My favorite move is the one that TV is now doing....

"Tonight's episode of '24' will be brought to you without commercial interruption....courtesy of Ford Motor Company"

Sure, they do manage to refrain from subjecting the viewer to six 30 second ads during the show. But, prior to airing scenes from the next week's episode, they will make them sit through a five minutes mini-theatrical clip involving the Ford Expedition. Which--by the way--was strangely the only vehicle seen driving on every street in LA whilst Jack Bauer was chasing the terrorists that night....
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    I know I'm more like a magpie day after day and preaching he gospel of XM is something I'm very evangelical about.

If you don't have XM, get it now. You can get a XM radio for your car for $35 now at certain web sites and the the $12.95 cost per month means you only spend $190 the first year and $155 thereafter for 24/7 baseball, 365 days a year. It's wonderful

This afternoon, I had to go to Beckley, WV to a meeting and in the car was the Reds game as well as Channel 175. Switching back and forth between those two channels, I got my fill of baseball (not really). Tonight, I get all the radio highlights as I try to sleep and in the morning, I can wake up to Buck Martinez and friends to discuss the night's games. At one point they had an interview with a reporter who did an interview with "Shoeless Joe" for Sport magazine way back when. Of course, they also had Marty and others on for discussion.

If you're a true baseball fan, you need this. Yes, I own stock in the company, but I'm not going to get rich with it. And the music channels rock.

$35.00? I paid $320.00. But I got mine when they first came out. Also got the box for my office too. Oneupper and Blimpy, XM will not go to commercials, they had them when they started up and the word they put out was when they reached 3,000 subscribers it would be comercial free. They kept their word. I love my XM and one thing not mentioned on here yet unless I missed it is if you do any travel in your car, there is no fade out. You could put it on one station and go from coast to coast with that same station. Thats just another reason I like it. If I had to do without cable I would but not XM. And oh yes, Merlot Wine.

I remember when you could walk into any gas station and get a map. Free. And in some stations you could get maps of every state. Free.

I remember when you could put air in your tires. Free.

I remember when you could get water. Free.

Assimilate, oneupper. It's futile to resist.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I don't even care so much about the no-commercials aspect of it (although that's nice). I subscribe to XM for the same reason I get cable TV -- they have stuff I want that I can't get for free.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?