Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ACLU Defending Woman Accused Of Using Drugs While Pregnant

ACLU Defending Woman Accused Of Using Drugs While Pregnant

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/4868032/detail.html

EASTON, Md. -- Lawyers for the American Civil Liberties Union are appealing the conviction of an Easton woman who was accused of endangering a child by using cocaine while she was pregnant.

Kelly Cruz, 30, was found guilty of a reckless endangerment charge Aug. 5 after waiving her right to a jury trial. She was ordered to serve 2 1/2 years in prison.

Cruz was charged in February, about a month after giving birth to a premature baby boy who tested positive for cocaine.

Defense attorneys had sought an acquittal, arguing there was never a risk of harm to another person -- because a fetus doesn't meet the definition of a person under state law. But a Talbot County judge ruled that the person who suffered the risk was the baby after it was born.

ACLU attorneys said prosecuting women for their actions during pregnancy is unprecedented elsewhere in Maryland and claim it is an attempt to create a new crime by charging pregnant women for harming their fetuses.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: ACLU Defending Woman Accused Of Using Drugs While Pregnant

This is all part of the very, very dangerous slippery slope (legally and morally) that exists whenever we start attaching "rights" to an unborn fetus.

That is all I will say on the matter.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

They call me "chef"

It's a sad day when something as harmless as snorting cocaine is deemed "illegal" and "wreckless". I blame the right wing conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    This is all part of the very, very dangerous slippery slope (legally and morally) that exists whenever we start attaching "rights" to an unborn fetus.

That is all I will say on the matter.
    Except it wasn't going to be a fetus forever, and the potential health problems that it may suffer from this woman's reckless behavior will extend far beyond the relatively short time it spent as a fetus.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    It's a sad day when something as harmless as snorting cocaine is deemed "illegal" and "wreckless". I blame the right wing conservatives.
    Obfuscate much?

She wasn't charged with drug use/possession, she was charged with reckless endangerment.

I think you misunderstood the article, entirely.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

That Poor Kid.

ACLU=All Criminals Love Us
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Obfuscate much?

She wasn't charged with drug use/possession, she was charged with reckless endangerment.

I think you misunderstood the article, entirely.
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I waiting to hear what Rush has to say on this matter. I'm sure he can remain objective despite the ACLU trying to defend his criminal drug activities.

I can understand the side of those who think this woman should be punished for her behavior, but where does one draw the line? What about a woman who consumes too much caffeine during her pregnancy? A woman who smokes? A woman who consumes a poor diet? A woman who consumes alcohol? Any one of those activities could potentially endanger the life of the unborn fetus, but should we lock up all mothers who do this?

I suppose this case is a bit easier, since the object in question is an illegal drug, but if the precedent being set is that the woman simply endangered the life of her unborn child by behaving this way, how will the courts draw a line on this issue?

Slippery slope, indeed.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I can understand the side of those who think this woman should be punished for her behavior, but where does one draw the line? What about a woman who consumes too much caffeine during her pregnancy? A woman who smokes? A woman who consumes a poor diet? A woman who consumes alcohol? Any one of those activities could potentially endanger the life of the unborn fetus, but should we lock up all mothers who do this?

I suppose this case is a bit easier, since the object in question is an illegal drug, but if the precedent being set is that the woman simply endangered the life of her unborn child by behaving this way, how will the courts draw a line on this issue?

Slippery slope, indeed.
    Don't you know a fetus is more important than a living, breathing, thinking woman? Come on, man, get with it.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis

Slippery slope, indeed.
    Working with a 35 year old man who has fetal alcohol syndrome, I would definately be a proponent of arresting a woman who drinks while pregnant. This individual I work with stands 5'4" and weighs 60 pounds. He looks elvish, and can't carry on a coherent conversation. I am constantly having to monitor his behavior in public restrooms, because he cannot comprehend what is appropriate behavior, and in public he is seemingly wanting to hug and touch every pretty girl he sees. He has no ability to manage money, and cannot be counted on to work a job. He rambles and shouts out curse words at inappropriate times and places. His life consists of watching TV, listening to the radio and playing with toys that were made for children ages 3-5. He gets angry and frustrated for no apparent reason, and oftentimes his thoughts only turn to radio, television, or inappropriate sexual topics. He cannot drive himself anywhere, and must count on others to take care of his most basic needs while being supported by your money through social security, medicare and medicaid. Oh yeah, his biological mother left him at the hospital and he was finally adopted at the age of ten into a caring family, but his adoptive parents have now both passed away.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Don't you know a fetus is more important than a living, breathing, thinking woman? Come on, man, get with it.
    It truely saddens (and I mean deeply saddens) me that they aren't considered of the same importance, or at the very least, of similar importance.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    It truely saddens (and I mean deeply saddens) me that they aren't considered of the same importance, or at the very least, of similar importance.
    I think women are more important than fetuses--and I'm not budging.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Working with a 35 year old man who has fetal alcohol syndrome, I would definately be a proponent of arresting a woman who drinks while pregnant. This individual I work with stands 5'4" and weighs 60 pounds. He looks elvish, and can't carry on a coherent conversation. I am constantly having to monitor his behavior in public restrooms, because he cannot comprehend what is appropriate behavior, and in public he is seemingly wanting to hug and touch every pretty girl he sees. He has no ability to manage money, and cannot be counted on to work a job. He rambles and shouts out curse words at inappropriate times and places. His life consists of watching TV, listening to the radio and playing with toys that were made for children ages 3-5. He gets angry and frustrated for no apparent reason, and oftentimes his thoughts only turn to radio, television, or inappropriate sexual topics. He cannot drive himself anywhere, and must count on others to take care of his most basic needs while being supported by your money through social security, medicare and medicaid. Oh yeah, his biological mother left him at the hospital and he was finally adopted at the age of ten into a caring family, but his adoptive parents have now both passed away.
    SF, I can certainly see your point...I knew a classmate of mine in school whose brother had FAS. It was an ugly thing to see, to be sure.

But, again, where do you draw the line? I mean, there are always going to be things that mothers-to-be could do to harm their unborn children, whether intentional or not. I just don't know that you can legislate such things. The fact is, parents have a responsibility to bring children into this world and to raise them. When they screw this up, the kids do suffer. Is this fair for the children? No, of course not. But some things are just difficult - if not impossible - for the government to legislate.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Except it wasn't going to be a fetus forever, and the potential health problems that it may suffer from this woman's reckless behavior will extend far beyond the relatively short time it spent as a fetus.
    But, where do you draw the line between "reckless" behavior and "acceptable" behavior for the woman.

Further, there is no way of knowing (often) the results of prenatal behavior on any child that is born. Thus, there would be an issue of selective prosecution to consider: do we punish strictly any woman who is found to be doing anything that might be deterimental to her baby's health in the future, or only women who partake in such behavior AND find later that it has a detrimental impact on individuals? Are we going to ticket all speeders or just the ones who cause an accident as a result of their speeding?

What about civil claims? Will a child be able to sue it's mother for poor decisions made while it was still a fetus?

Will we end up with women, paralyzed by the fear of lawsuits and prosecution at a later date, simply sitting at home on the couch while pregnant because they are fearful of what might occur to their fetus if they leave the house?

Like I said...slippery slopes are problematic...
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?