Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costas Refuses to Host Show on Holloway

Costas Refuses to Host Show on Holloway

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...p-tv-headlines

By DAVID BAUDER
    AP Television Writer

August 19, 2005, 9:10 PM EDT

NEW YORK -- While some cable TV hosts are making their living off the Natalee Holloway case this summer, Bob Costas is having none of it.

Costas, hired by CNN as an occasional fill-in on "Larry King Live," refused to anchor Thursday's show because it was primarily about the Alabama teenager who went missing in Aruba. Chris Pixley filled in at the last minute.

"I didn't think the subject matter of Thursday's show was the kind of broadcast I should be doing," Costas said in a statement. "I suggested some alternatives but the producers preferred the topics they had chosen. I was fine with that, and respectfully declined to participate."

Costas' manager declined to elaborate on what Costas didn't like about the topic.

Thursday's guests included Beth Holloway Twitty, the girl's mother; a television reporter; and an investigator in the case. Seven of the show's 10 guests talked about the missing girl, the other segments were about the BTK killer.

The Holloway case has been a big attraction on cable news networks during a slow news period, with Fox News Channel's Greta Van Susteren getting record ratings as she's paid almost nonstop attention to it. Reports of Costas' decision first surfaced on the mediabistro.com Web site on Friday.

"There were no hard feelings at all," Costas said. "It's not a big deal. I'm sure there are countless topics that will be mutually acceptable in the future."

Wendy Walker, senior executive producer of "Larry King Live," described it as a mutual decision for Costas not to do the show because he was uncomfortable with the subject matter.

"We love having Bob ... and since `Larry King Live' covers an extremely extensive palate of subjects, there will always be shows that he will enjoy hosting," she said.

The NBC Sports personality, also host of "Costas Now" on HBO, had agreed to be host for about 20 editions of "Larry King Live" this year. He's done six, the network said.

His decision is reminiscent of Keith Olbermann, the former sportscaster who left his MSNBC news show in the late 1990s in part because he was asked to repeatedly cover the Monica Lewinsky story. Olbermann is back now for his second run at MSNBC.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Costas Refuses to Host Show on Holloway

Can't blame Bob for standing on principle. He must have a great contract with CNN to be able to do this with seemingly no repercussions. I wonder if the reporter omitted the words "with clenched teeth" in passing along that executive producer's effusive praise of Bob.

Kinda makes Larry King look like a media ***** by comparison, since Larry never met a story that he won't talk about.
    /r/reds

Costas is a bit of a self-aggrandizing twerp, but I respect someone who still holds to the criterion of newsworthiness every now and again.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I tend to joke that there seems to be a news update every 20 minutes where the reporter will say, "This just in, Natalee Holloway is still missing." There is just so much coverage over this story with no news. And her mom keeps complaining that the FBI isn't doing enough to help. Well, I wish the FBI would stop their silly anti-terrorist work and find this attractive rich white girl missing outside the country.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

good for him I am sick of this story.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Good for him. There are probably a dozen non-photogenic youths missing from homes within miles from Cnn center. Maybe the news biz could devote a little attention to them.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Good for him. There are probably a dozen non-photogenic youths missing from homes within miles from Cnn center. Maybe the news biz could devote a little attention to them.
    Yep..Don't get me wrong I feel bad the the girl and her family...but my guess is if this was a inner city minority teen missing CNN wouldn't devote 2 minutes to the story. But this story plays on the fears of middle class soccer moms all over the country. Also plays to the wide spread Xenophobia that exisits in this country...You know those "foreign devils" deflowering our blonde hair, blue eye angels.

By the way I have been to Auruba several times..The island is only something like 18 miles wide and 25 miles long...If she has not been found by now it's unlikey she will be found. No matter how many hours Nancy Grace rambles on about it.
    Last edited by alex trevino; 08-20-2005 at 01:26 AM.

Nice going, I am ticked off beyond belief at that stupid natalie holloway.

Get them off the TV and waste no more of our tax money on this lost cause - PLEASE.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    Nice going, I am ticked off beyond belief at that stupid natalie holloway.

Get them off the TV and waste no more of our tax money on this lost cause - PLEASE.
    A little extreme don't you think? STUPID Natalie Holloway? It's not this poor girl's fault that the media is giving this story so much attention.

I understand this families grief and their demand for answers, just as I do with Cindy Sheehan. If I can't even fathom what I'd do if something like this happened to one of my kids. But in both instances I feel their loss/grief are being used as "tools" by outside sources.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

We have a news channel on 24/7 at work. NH is nothing more than filler now. If it's a slow news day you'll hear about the case all the time. If there is something actually going on, you won't hear a word.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Good for Costas.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

There's no such thing as a "slow news day" just slow journalists. How many soldier dies in Iraq last week?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    There's no such thing as a "slow news day" just slow journalists. How many soldier dies in Iraq last week?
    BOR-ring. Natalee is much cuter than most of our troops.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I tend to joke that there seems to be a news update every 20 minutes where the reporter will say, "This just in, Natalee Holloway is still missing."
    This just in-Francisco Franco is still dead. (SNL)
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I remember seeing "Breaking News: Teen Missing in Aruba for 61 Days" as a headline on Fox News.

How does that qualify as "Breaking News" after 61 days?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?