Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brooks Albums to Only Be Sold at Wal-Mart

Brooks Albums to Only Be Sold at Wal-Mart

Not that this will affect me anyway since I am not a fan of Brooks or his musical genre but if a favorite artist of mine ever pulled a stunt like this it would ensure me never buying another album of theirs again.

Brooks Albums to Only Be Sold at Wal-Mart

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050821/...e_garth_brooks

BENTONVILLE, Ark. - Country superstar
    Garth Brooks has signed an exclusive multiyear contract with Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
    ADVERTISEMENT

No details of the agreement were released by Wal-Mart officials Friday, but Billboard and the Los Angeles Times reported the deal will make Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and their online outlets the only places where Brooks' music will be commercially available.

Brooks, among the all-time best-selling recording artists, retired from performing in 2001.

"We understand the Wal-Mart customer and know that bringing them Garth Brooks exclusives in the upcoming years is something that'll excite them as much as it excites us," said David Porter, vice president and divisional merchandise manager for Wal-Mart, a leading retailer for country music sales.

Brooks' hits include "Friends in Low Places," "Shameless" and "Longneck Bottle."
    Last edited by Jaycint; 08-20-2005 at 11:43 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brooks Albums to Only Be Sold at Wal-Mart

Not a Brooks fan at all so it doesn't affect me either, but this was a stupid move that alienated any of his fans that aren't Walmart shoppers.

I wouldn't support anyone that pulled a stunt like this either.

This the wave of the future?

Sad.
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    This the wave of the future?

Sad.
    Only for artists with a well-defined fan base that matches well with WM's customer base.

I'm thinking Lawrence Welk and Randy Travis will be next to do this.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan
    Not a Brooks fan at all so it doesn't affect me either, but this was a stupid move that alienated any of his fans that aren't Walmart shoppers.
    Shouldn't hurt him then.

I was a Garth fanatic when he first came out, not because of his hits, but because of the thoughtful, poetic, ballads he penned. That style of Garth was reminiscent of James Taylor, and every bit as good. People who didn't buy his CDs never got to hear those best songs, though, as radio played the often nonsensical ditties that would get people up out of their seats.

Garth admitted one time that his favorite songs were the ones that never made it to radio, and I agreed with him. He did have a few such songs make it big in the very early days (If Tomorrow Never Comes, The Dance, and The River come to mind), but most did not, especially in the second half of the 90s.

I will say this: Garth Brooks was the best act I've ever seen in concert, and I've seen over 50 shows including most of the top rock acts of the 80s and early 90s. Now, as for this latest marketing decision, I'm not so sure...

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I was never a big Garth Brooks fan, but I do agree with macro as to Brooks's best stuff: The Dance and If Tomorrow Never Comes were great, and sensitive, songs.
    This is a strange career move, but he may not be selling many CDs anyway.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I wouldn't write this off as a mistake just yet. Garth Brooks is known as a marketing genius, and has really only made one mistake (Chris Gaines) in his career. This may be just another sign that Garth will be making his long rumored comeback. If that's true, then I doubt his fans won't buy his new cd just because Walmart is the only place they can buy it.

What's an album?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I'm guessing most of Garth's fans are Wal-Mart shoppers any ways.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    I'm guessing most of Garth's fans are Wal-Mart shoppers any ways.
    That's probably true! I'd imagine that's also the case for most pop and country artists.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    What's an album?
    I know my local station calls them "projects"
    Go Gators!

When Martha Steward sign with K-Mart everybody thought it wouldn't work. Martha Stewart signing has been highly profitable for both parties. I don't think the Brooks deal would do any harm to either WalMart or Brooks. It will probably be a boost.
    Last edited by RBA; 08-21-2005 at 12:40 PM.

Who cares? Garth became irrelevant a long time ago. There are still plenty of people out there making real country music ( The Derailers, Dwight Yoakam. Drive By Truckers, Robert Earl Keen, ect.) and we can buy their records anyplace.

Garth who?
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?