Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brooks Albums to Only Be Sold at Wal-Mart

Re: Brooks Albums to Only Be Sold at Wal-Mart

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Who cares? Garth became irrelevant a long time ago. There are still plenty of people out there making real country music ( The Derailers, Dwight Yoakam. Drive By Truckers, Robert Earl Keen, ect.) and we can buy their records anyplace.
    The principle of it is what I care about and why I posted the article. If I never heard a country song again by ANY artist it would be too soon (no offense to anybody).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Must be a lucrative deal for Brooks. With all the bad press that Walmart has been getting for treating their employess poorly, stong arming unions, and bullying producers, it would have to be. I guess Garth is betting that the anti-Walmart sentiment won't become widespread.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    The principle of it is what I care about and why I posted the article. If I never heard a country song again by ANY artist it would be too soon (no offense to anybody).

I understand the principle and the principle is important. But I'm more concerned about all of you that just close yourself off to certain genres of music. Whats country? The older I get, the more I start to believe Duke Ellington-- "there's only two kinds of music- good music and bad music". Once you get rid of labels, it opens you up to a whole new world. Like I've said before, Hank Williams and the Clash have a lot in common. Thats why Jack White can produce a great Loretta Lynn album. Garth is irrelevant because he has tried to become all things to all people. But if you're turning off any music with a little twang in it, your're really missing something.

I understand the principle and the principle is important. But I'm more concerned about all of you that just close yourself off to certain genres of music. Whats country? The older I get, the more I start to believe Duke Ellington-- "there's only two kinds of music- good music and bad music". Once you get rid of labels, it opens you up to a whole new world. Like I've said before, Hank Williams and the Clash have a lot in common. Thats why Jack White can produce a great Loretta Lynn album. Garth is irrelevant because he has tried to become all things to all people. But if you're turning off any music with a little twang in it, your're really missing something.
    Right on!
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Very good. I'm always ask what type of music I like and I reply I like all kinds. I get a lot of shocked expressions when I say that as how can someone like "all kinds". As long as it's good I can listen to it. However, I don't go out of my way to listen to music, if it's on and it's good I don't mind. If it's on and it's awful, I do mind.

I don't listen to pop country, which frankly isn't country. True country is alive and well. I love Hank, Merle, Conway, Cash, Guthrie all that. Today my favorite artists and bands usually have that kind of country in them. Ryan Adams, Wilco, Handsome family, Sun Kil Moon. That kind of country is doing well and isn't dying.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

IIRC, Allison Krauss did the same thing, except Cracker Barrel was the beneficiary of that move. I think it was for her newest CD though, not her older ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

A true musician......can understand and appreciate country.

The Beatles were my favorite band for years, after i turned 18......could never understand why they covered country songs.....but since i was not a true musician....I did not get it. I did not understand how this stuff influenced them in the ways that it did.

Johnny Cash was Country "Punk"......i just did not get that when i was 13-16 years old and into hardcore punk in the early 80's. Never would allow myself to think that someone like Johnny Cash could actually influence someone like John Doe of X or the Circle Jerks.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Can Garth pitch?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    A true musician......can understand and appreciate country.

The Beatles were my favorite band for years, after i turned 18......could never understand why they covered country songs.....but since i was not a true musician....I did not get it. I did not understand how this stuff influenced them in the ways that it did.

Johnny Cash was Country "Punk"......i just did not get that when i was 13-16 years old and into hardcore punk in the early 80's. Never would allow myself to think that someone like Johnny Cash could actually influence someone like John Doe of X or the Circle Jerks.
    Good points all. I was stunned to discover that a poet like T.S. Eliot, effete and snobbish, could have drawn so much influence from Mark Twain, demotic, effusive, hilarious. But Eliot drew tremendously from "Huck Finn"--which, when you look past the dialect and the witticisms, is a book about being tremendously disenchanted and horrified with one's surroundings--kind of like, oh, "The Waste Land."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I am a K-8 music teacher, and my kids are always shocked the first time they ask what I listen too. When I say a little bit of everything, I mean it! The poster who quoted Duke Ellington is correct; there are only two types of music: good and bad. Genre is irrelevant to me.

"I never heard real country music-George Jones, Buck Owens-growing up in England,when I did it was a real shock. They were like punks; they didn't put a barrier between themselves and their audience. They sang real songs about real people in real situations. The best punk and the best country addresses the lives of the working class peer groups that helped create and support it. Country had a working class feel that you didn 't get in English music, at least before punk.

"After moving to America, I felt that understanding the soul of Hank Williams was crucial to understanding the American psyche. Hank, Merle Haggard, Johnny Paycheck, Ernest Tubb and others wrote about the everyday lives of everyday people in a way that was quite radical, and took those ideas to the mainstream. But by the '90s they'd been replaced by white suburban rock musicians wearing cowboy hats. Today's country music is fantasy music, like most pop."

John Langford
    The Mekons

This was, IMO, the best post on the subject of music that I have seen on this forum.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    This was, IMO, the best post on the subject of music that I have seen on this forum.
    I concur. Great post, Mutaman.

Put me in the "appreciates all good music regardless of genre" category, as well. I am not proud to admit it, but I never had any appreciation for polka, at least until recently. Directv has a channel called the RFD Network, and Saturday nights they have something called The Big Joe Polka Show. It has various polka bands playing on a stage and people dancing on a makeshift plywood floor. Judging from the fashions and the hair, it appears to have been taped sometime in the 80s. My wife and I watched for a few minutes one night, partly to try and figure out what year it was taped and also because we were amused at some of the fashions and big hair that were characteristic of the 80s.

It turns out that this has become something of a Saturday night ritual for us (sad life we live, I know, but she's very pregnant and we don't get out much right now ). In the process, I have really started to enjoy the music! For the first time in my life, I enjoy polka!

By the way, if anyone is tempted to check out Big Joe, it's on RFD (satellites only, I assume) Saturdays at 10pm eastern. Also, they've apparently just finished taping all brand new stuff, due to the popularity of this show's reruns.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?