Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brooks Albums to Only Be Sold at Wal-Mart

Re: Brooks Albums to Only Be Sold at Wal-Mart

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Garth who?
    that's what I thought. I am serious to the extent I can't name even one song of his.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I enjoy polka!
    each of have an empty spot inside that can only be filled by accordion music.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    This was, IMO, the best post on the subject of music that I have seen on this forum.
    Substitute "music" for "anything" and it becomes even better.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    each of have an empty spot inside that can only be filled by accordion music.
    I'm really into Dick Contina. Any James Ellroy fans out there.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    This the wave of the future?

Sad.
    Yes, the next logical step is having Walmart (or someone else) buy exclusive rights to an artist we care about and then charging a premium for the CD.

Right now, Walmart is probably doing it as a way to lure customers into the store (you can only get it here). Long term, this is another way that the smaller chains are going to get squeezed out of business. It's going to stink when you have to call around to find out which exclusive store carries the CD you want to buy.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

well, the music biz is fragmented now - so the artists are adjusting. I just recorded a Christmas album with Joan Osborne that wil be sold ONLY at Barnes and Noble. I think it's a good thing personally; no more business meetings to determine whether to add strings or which songs to record. In the end (eventually), I hope the music gets better.

Some artists have recorded CDs that have an "extra" song if sold at a particular store. For example, Martina McBride's CD "Martina" had the song "Show Me" on copies sold at Wal-Mart; copies of the CD sold elsewhere didn't include that song. Martina also released a limited edition mini-CD sold only at Hallmark stores around Valentine's Day this year.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Buy from your local independent record store. And buy vinyl, it's better.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    But if you're turning off any music with a little twang in it, your're really missing something.
    Well, if you're someone who can appreciate twang, then yes I would say so. But there are inherent preferences that each of us have--not everyone "likes" or appreciates all kinds of music.

I consider myself rather well-versed in the musical world...I own over 1,000 albums, I play piano, drums and guitar, love jazz and rock and try to attend as many concerts as I can. And I loathe country music. Can't stand it. I don't like the twangy sound, I don't like the lyrical content of many of the songs, I don't relate to the lifestyle...I just plain, flat-out don't like it. I've no doubt that there are many accomplished and gifted country songwriters and performers out there. But it's simply something I don't "get". I have had dozens of people suggest hundreds of songs and artists to me, saying things like "This is country music for people who don't like country", and more often than not I still don't like it.

Some people have no tolerance for jazz, some rue the day synthesizers ever made an appearance, some think hard rock is just a bunch of noise...it's all personal preference. So, if someone doesn't like all things twang, they're probably not missing as much as you think they are. They probably just don't like it, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. I certainly don't fall into the "likes a little bit of everything" crowd, and as most people who know me would attest to, music is my oxygen.
    Last edited by registerthis; 08-22-2005 at 05:20 PM.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    And buy vinyl, it's better.
    Only it's not.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

They call me "chef"

The only people I know who like popular country are rich white girls.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Only it's not.
    I agree and disagree. Albums have their merits--as I'm sure you know, albums have, to some extent, greater fidelity to a live sound than do CDs; albums are, literally, a "cut" of sound. CDs for all their crystal clarity tend to "flatten" the sound a bit, homogenize it.

I like both media a lot--they both offer tremendous windows onto recordings and both have archived sound wonderfully. I'll keep 'em both.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 08-22-2005 at 05:48 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    And I loathe country music. Can't stand it.
    Even Hank?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Even Hank?
    Country music is fine--but it involves much more work to find the good stuff than in, say, jazz or even rock for that matter. There was a time when I could devote great chunks of time to digging up good stuff, but those days, frankly and sadly, are gone.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Country music is fine--but it involves much more work to find the good stuff than in, say, jazz or even rock for that matter. There was a time when I could devote great chunks of time to digging up good stuff, but those days, frankly and sadly, are gone.
    No, there will never be another
    Red-headed stranger
    A Man in Black and Folsom Prison Blues
    The Okie from Muskogee
    Or Hello Darling
    Lord I wonder, who's gonna fill their shoes

Turn Off Ads?