Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: UC to Huggins: Resign or be fired

Re: UC to Huggins: Resign or be fired

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive
    While I appreciate the notion that UC wants to improve it's academic image, Dr Z is trying to make it into a Duke or Stanford - which it never has been, is not designed for, and never will be.
    You would be surprised how many of UC's colleges are upper tier in the nation, one of which I am a graduate. Unfortunately, many others think like you, and NZ, no matter how much I agree or disagree with this particular move, is using the tarnishing of the sports image to show that it is an academic institution first. The thinking being, that maybe when the bball program stops being that evil first face of UC, its academic integrity, and the strive to improve other programs will take the forefront. Little does she realize, that what she is doing can be just as tarnishing of an image as the "thug" label on the sports program.

It was handled horribly from the beginning, and the timing is even worse. I am very curious, though, to see how the team responds. I have always been of the opinion that Hugs is a drill sergeant and a recruiter, and his coaching methods are subpar. Can Kennedy take his place? It is worth watching, for me, no matter how disappointed.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    A note the UC folks who are fans of Huggins:

Outside of the tri-state, Bob Huggins has made your school the punch line to a lot of jokes.

This is an absolutely necessary move if the University wants to regain any shred of credibility with the rest of the country. It's a move that should have been made 5 or 10 years ago.

Ya know, it's not unlike Marge Schott and the Reds. Some of the local folks thought she was just a quirky old lady. Meanwhile, the rest of the country either rolled its eyes or chuckled when her name was mentioned. No one took her seriously.

Same thing with Huggins.

The basketball team is the face of the University to a lot of folks outside of the tri-state.

It's a face that has been covered with egg for an awfully long time.

Glad to see that someone is finally doing something about it.
    For those outside of Cincinnati, we don't care what the rest of the country thinks. We'll keep taking our 20+ win seasons, conference titles and repeated NCAA invites.

That is all, carry on.

I'm a UC grad, if he's fired they won't be getting anymore money from me, and I'll never attend another game.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 08-23-2005 at 02:04 PM.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

I wonder if this will change things any. Is the new coach all of a sudden going to be under orders to recruit choirboys? What happens when the first player of the new coach's regime gets arrested? Is that coach going to be fired too? You also have to wonder how many of these freshman and sophomores are going to be transferring now. For a lot of these guys, Huggins is the only reason they are coming to UC. Now that he's gone they have no reason to stay.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    I have always been of the opinion that Hugs is a drill sergeant and a recruiter, and his coaching methods are subpar. Can Kennedy take his place?
    399 wins in 16 years speaks for itself. It will not likely be repeated. Recruiting will be impacted for likely the next two classes. Huggs took the program(performance wise) from the outhouse to the penthouse. Maybe people forget that nobody showed up or cared during the Yates era. There were a lot of incidents during the Huggins years and some tarnished things a bit but 399 wins is an enormous amount of wins in 16 years.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    399 wins in 16 years speaks for itself. It will not likely be repeated. Recruiting will be impacted for likely the next two classes. Huggs took the program(performance wise) from the outhouse to the penthouse. Maybe people forget that nobody showed up or cared during the Yates era. There were a lot of incidents during the Huggins years and some tarnished things a bit but 399 wins is an enormous amount of wins in 16 years.
    Most of the wins came against subpar competition. UC was notorious for scheduling cakes early in the season, and the conferences were weak mostly, especially early on. That is why UC has been a one and done NCAA tournament participator so often.

Not to discount Huggins, but I have always thought the multitude of 20+ win seasons a mirage.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Most of the wins came against subpar competition.
    if that is true how do you explain 14 consecutive NCAA appearances and the something like 9 consecutive league titles?

Those 14 consecutive NCAA appearances are only surpassed by Olson, Smith, Knight and Williams. Pretty good company I would say.
    Last edited by flyer85; 08-23-2005 at 02:20 PM.

if that was true how do you explain 14 consecutive NCAA appearances?
    Automatic conference births, and beat anyone enough times, you seem beautiful.

The program had more or less reached its ceiling, Huggins had come to rely too much on Juco transfers to fill holes, which meant that players never gelled or truly became a team, just a group of individual talents. Anyone could watch the program, especially recently, and realize it was not a bunch of guys playing together, which is why less talented teams managed to beat them.

The question had been whether it was Huggins fault they did not play well together, and whether he was recruiting bad character guys. The answer will be found out in the next few years.

Automatic conference births, and beat anyone enough times, you seem beautiful.

The program had more or less reached its ceiling, Huggins had come to rely too much on Juco transfers to fill holes, which meant that players never gelled or truly became a team, just a group of individual talents. Anyone could watch the program, especially recently, and realize it was not a bunch of guys playing together, which is why less talented teams managed to beat them.

The question had been whether it was Huggins fault they did not play well together, and whether he was recruiting bad character guys. The answer will be found out in the next few years.
    the proof will be in the pudding. The program is in for a HARD fall. Huggins has always consistently produced a whole greater than the parts because he got his teams to play hard, tough, aggressive and very physical defense. Most coaches have no idea how to coach it and almost none can actually get their players to do it.

You are correct, the program has reached it's ceiling under Huggins(and a damn good one at that), and it is highly unlikely to be going any higher.
    Last edited by flyer85; 08-23-2005 at 02:28 PM.

Most of the wins came against subpar competition. UC was notorious for scheduling cakes early in the season, and the conferences were weak mostly, especially early on. That is why UC has been a one and done NCAA tournament participator so often.

Not to discount Huggins, but I have always thought the multitude of 20+ win seasons a mirage.
    This could be said for many successful programs. Georgetown was notorious under John Thompson for scheduling very weak out of conference opponents. The Hall of Fame is filled with coaches who have made their names on the backs of weak opponents.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    The Hall of Fame is filled with coaches who have made their names on the backs of weak opponents.
    when you are a good team. almost everybody is a weaker opponent. It is obvious people don't appreciate how difficult a school UC is to recruit top-notch basketball talent to. Other than Huggins as the coach there is little else to draw a top recruit to the campus(and most have said so).

Huggs lawyer is on WLW now, UC (Zimpher and her pals) released the letter to the media before a copy was even given to Huggs or his reps. Huggins heard about this on the news, they didn't even have the freakin' guts to call the guy.

Nancy says Huggins is embarassing UC? This situation has been so poorly handled that it's amazing, if anyone is an embarassment it's Nancy Zimpher. I hope she looses every single major sponsor and booster that supports the basketball program. I hope she gets run out of town on a rail.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

when you are a good team. almost everybody is a weaker opponent. It is obvious people don't appreciate how difficult a school UC is to recruit top-notch basketball talent to. Other than Huggins as the coach there is little else to draw a top recruit to the campus(and most have said so).
    In two years, even that arguement will have no merit. The campus has undergone a most amazing Renaissance, albeit mostly of hideous zinc panelling, but it has become a student and architectural haven. The grean space is inspiring and beautiful, and the amenities are top notch. The varsity village is on par if not better than some elite programs in the nation, and the recent growth and development around the campus has made it one of the hottest areas in the city.

Get an above average coach in there, and the program will be fine recruit-wise.

I'm a huge Xavier fan and no big supporter of Huggins. If the Bearcats never win another game it will not hurt my feelings. That being said, the timing on this is awful and I really feel for the kids on the basketball team. No one seems to care that they'll be the ones getting screwed in all this. A few of them may be low-life thugs (the same is true at most any D-I school, including the one on Victory Parkway), but most are good kids trying to do what is best for themselves. If the president wanted Huggins gone she should have done it after last season, not before the upcoming one.

Some pretty interesting stuff in here (warning, it's a PDF):

http://news.enquirer.com/assets/AB7481823.PDF

EDIT to say the letter Reds4Life referred to appears to be in this PDF as well, at the end. It has today's date on it.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

This will be the biggest mistake she's ever made, and the beginning of the end of her career at UC

Turn Off Ads?