Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: UC to Huggins: Resign or be fired

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: UC to Huggins: Resign or be fired

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    The players should transfer to UCs biggest rival.
    And take a step down...?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Is it an assault just on the basketball program in an attempt to make the football program look better? it being the start of football season now..or an assault on the sports program in general?

Hmm
    The only reason there's a football program that is on the rise is because of the basketball program that was built by Bob Huggins

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    if that is true how do you explain 14 consecutive NCAA appearances and the something like 9 consecutive league titles?
    Big fish, small pond. Conference USA for the most part has been a couple good teams and a whole lot of filler. It's sad that the conference got ripped apart now that they finally got going the past couple of years. But for most of it's existence it was second tier. The Great Midwest wasn't so great. Was Huggy around for the dying days of the Metro Conference? Again, not a lot going on, at least at the end. Moving to the Big East is going to be a culture shock for that program. 14 straight NCAAs is impressive, but I'd be more impressed if they didn't choke out the first weekend in the vast majority of them.

The backlash from this move is going to be so great that Nancy Zimpher will be unemployed by 2006. She is going to destroy the basketball program at UC for many years to come.

Doog- You are in a dream world. UC will never be a top notch University and Darth will never be able to show her face in UC again. You are seriously mistaken if you think someone can recruit in Clifton. It's a dangerous place and frankly a ugly campus, no matter what they do there. I attend UC, I have no love for it though. Unless you want to get robbed three times a week don't go there.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Nancy Zimpher is the biggest idiot ever, she has no idea what she is doing. I hope this mistake haunts her for the rest of her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Big fish, small pond. Conference USA for the most part has been a couple good teams and a whole lot of filler. It's sad that the conference got ripped apart now that they finally got going the past couple of years. But for most of it's existence it was second tier. The Great Midwest wasn't so great. Was Huggy around for the dying days of the Metro Conference? Again, not a lot going on, at least at the end. Moving to the Big East is going to be a culture shock for that program. 14 straight NCAAs is impressive, but I'd be more impressed if they didn't choke out the first weekend in the vast majority of them.
    That's the problem with the tournament era. People care so much about one game matchups instead of the amazing ability to win 20+ games almost every year and get in the tournament every year.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    The program had more or less reached its ceiling, Huggins had come to rely too much on Juco transfers to fill holes, which meant that players never gelled or truly became a team, just a group of individual talents.
    One final four birth in that time period, and very likely would have had another had Martin not broken his leg. I'd say he did alright.

GL

Looking at that PDF, I don't think either party is going to come out of this looking very good.

Huggins certainly has his warts and may warrant termination but UC is handling this about as badly as they can.

This is the day of the expanding man...

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    One final four birth in that time period, and very likely would have had another had Martin not broken his leg. I'd say he did alright.

GL
    If Kenyon didn't get hurt they would have won it all IMO.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    Some pretty interesting stuff in here (warning, it's a PDF):

http://news.enquirer.com/assets/AB7481823.PDF

EDIT to say the letter Reds4Life referred to appears to be in this PDF as well, at the end. It has today's date on it.
    ... it will be best that all discussions are between you and me.

Rimai earned her law degree from the University of Michigan Law School and her bachelor’s degree from the University of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    That's the problem with the tournament era. People care so much about one game matchups instead of the amazing ability to win 20+ games almost every year and get in the tournament every year.
    I agree with you that too much emphasis does get put on tournament finish. I'm a Syracuse fan, I can pretty much guarantee you last year's team will be much more remembered for being upset by Vermont than for being a pretty good team and winning the Big East tournament. But when it happens over and over like it has with Cincinnati, there is something to that.

Winning 20+ games a year is good, but quality of competition does need to be factored in. Winning 20 games against the C-USA teams is like winning 20 against the Atlantic 10 or the Mountain West or other second tier conferences. It's nice, but it's not the same as winning 20 in the Big East or the ACC for instance.

If he was a sub-par coach, and the teams weren't all that great, then name the other teams and coaches that have had 14 straight invites. If the issue here is weak competition, then most mid major conferences would have the same team going for 14 straight years, right? Well, not really. Arizona has gone 21 straight times. Kansas has been there for 16 in a row. Cincinnati and Kentucky are next with 14. Stanford has 11, Duke 10. Notice the quality of these programs? The only mid major that plays questionable competition, and has a remotely similar streak is Gonzaga. They have reached the NCAA tourney 7 straight times. If Huggins has a simple formula of pounding terrible competition and getting a bid, then why hasn't someone else caught on? Four teams have a streak as long or longer than UC's. If a program can play small time schools and just coast into the tournament, then more teams would be on this list. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the big fish, small pond argument. If it were that simple, the program's streak wouldn't even be worth bringing up.

someone said Wright State was going to fire Biancardi ... that's interesting....

Bob needs to take a year off and recharge the batteries. Then take over in Louisville when Pitino decides he needs to retire. Or Kentucky when Tubby gets the axe.

From the "Hindsight is 20-20 department" - Boy, isn't he wishing he took the West Virginia job.......
    Last edited by Heath; 08-23-2005 at 04:35 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

14 straight NCAAs is impressive, but I'd be more impressed if they didn't choke out the first weekend in the vast majority of them.
    ... and Roy Williams never one the big one until he got to North Carolina.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?