Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: UC to Huggins: Resign or be fired

Re: UC to Huggins: Resign or be fired

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    B) He wanted to make millions and play kingfish. Some kids turned out good, others wound up with rap sheets that would make your head spin. Huggins made his millions and played kingfish either way.

At no point at UC has he ever asked for more money.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He's STAYED at UC for less money rather than go on to other opportunities. He's always been dedicated to the kids and the University. He's had some issues, and so have some of his kids, but he's always been one to give kids opportunities, and more often than not, it worked out for them.

He's done more good than bad, but unfortunately, nobody talks about the good.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Exactly. I'm not sure why any educational institution allows clowns like Huggins in the door or runs sports programs that are little more than four years of indentured servitude without a real education or a degree attached to them.

Then again, if the NCAA suspended any program with an unacceptably low graduation rate, we wouldn't have this problem ... or at least we'd have a lot less of it.
    That raises a larger issue about what college athletics are in general. It is fine to hold things to a high standard and believe that athletes should be students first and players second...but if that is really the case, why are winning programs so heavily rewarded financially with cash payouts for postseason play? If the goal of universities is education, why aren't more full-rides given to kids with high SAT scores than those who can run a fast 40?

The bottom line is, you can play the game the "right way," but you'll most likely never succeed in the long term against the overwhelming odds and all of the other teams that are content with winning alone. I graduated from a school (Tulane) that now appears to be hell-bent on doing things the "Right Way" and all it's gotten them is a basketball team that looks like the Washington Generals and a football team that can't recruit talented enough guys to play defense.

But, honestly, this isn't about that...this is a good, old-fashioned urinating match. This is a University President who felt her authority was being undercut by an employee and displaying a classic "little man" response. Huggins had won the popular opinion battle, so the only response left for her WAS to fire him...otherwise she'd be forced to live in his shadow for the remainder of his tenure at the university.

Nancy Zimpher is basically delivering a message with this firing that this is HER University, and she will not allow herself to be dominated by the boosters and their hero.

...and as a Cincinnatian who just wants some winning team to be proud of, I cannot wish her enough ill for this.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I've heard Montgomery Inn is pulling their advertising and that they won't be the only ones ...

I've also heard that recruit Jason Bennett (a 7-foot-2 center) has said he will not commit to UC as originally planned.

The fallout from this will be far and wide, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    At no point at UC has he ever asked for more money.
    I didn't say he tried to renegotiate his deals, but he did make scads of money and get his share of hefty raises for winning basketball games, point being that he hardly was taking these kids in as a demonstration of unrecompensed altruism. He wanted tough kids who'd go through a wall to win a game. Smart basketball, but he gained a national rep for not caring if they went to class or committed a few felonies. If he were running a pro sports team, I'd say that's no big deal. However, he was working for a place that purports to care about education and personal conduct.

Plenty of other coaches bring in hardship cases, learning disabled players and kids with criminal histories. Though a lot of those coaches actually make sure those kids get that degree (and more importantly the education that comes with it) rather than just hanging around for the coach's glorification. Some of those coaches will actually bench players who aren't hitting the books or who fail to live up to a high standard of conduct. Mind you, since those coaches may not have 14 straight NCAA appearances, they may not be eligible for sainthood.
    Last edited by M2; 08-23-2005 at 07:46 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    I've heard Montgomery Inn is pulling their advertising and that they won't be the only ones ...

I've also heard that recruit Jason Bennett (a 7-foot-2 center) has said he will not commit to UC as originally planned.

The fallout from this will be far and wide, IMO.
    And for some reason, I dont think Zimpher cares. Huggins is gone, she has done her job.

I feel for UC fans right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Retired

The Montgomery Inn people aren't the big dog supporters. If top doners like the Lindner family (who paid for the new Varsity Village complex), the Farmers, Fifth Third and others pull support, Zimpher is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    The Montgomery Inn people aren't the big dog supporters. If top doners like the Lindner family (who paid for the new Varsity Village complex), the Farmers, Fifth Third and others pull support, Zimpher is finished.
    Montgomery Inn hosts the coaches radio show....or did anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Did you hear the quote from the guy who owns all the Performance car dealerships? I can't remember his name, but he is a big dog supporter. He said something like "I'm withholding support until I can calm down and make a rational decision. Right now I'm too upset."

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy
    Here is a link to the letter that was sent to Richard Katz, the agent for Bob Huggins: http://cincinnati.scout.com/2/428193.html It's an interesting read. If what the letter states is accurate, Huggins has been negotiating his departure for months:

The letter seems to hint that Huggins was set on leaving for a while. His announcement that he would finish out his contract may have been a ploy to get a better buyout from the university. It's a shame all around. No one comes out of this one looking good.

edit: looks like a link to this was posted earlier in pdf form.
    Yep got that impression too - this has been coming for a while now and Huggins probably got some interest from another program.

Good luck Mrs. Zimpher making a city school into the next Duke, it won't happen.

Things are changing rapidly at UC and around campus that's for sure.

I had no problem at all with Huggins leaving, but felt it could've been handled better, to say the least.

Retired

Problem is, Jeff Wyler (bigger than Performance) is on the UC board that approved this move. So is George Schaffer, CEO of Fifth Third Bank.

The key will be the Lindner family, they give millions every year, I think the varsity village thing was at least $15 million, the business building is named after Carl Lindner, he paid for it's construction.

Does anybody have a link to a UC forum to follow this? I tried scout.com but I figured I could do better.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Huggins was just on Channel 9...he just got back to town. He didn't know about the letter, and hasn't read the letter, but said he would address the media after he has read it.

He's going to go talk to Richard Katz, and see what the letter is all about.

Actually, the media got a copy of the letter before Huggins' representatives did.

I didn't say he tried to renegotiate his deals, but he did make scads of money and get his share of hefty raises for winning basketball games, point being that he hardly was taking these kids in as a demonstration of unrecompensed altruism. He wanted tough kids who'd go through a wall to win a game. Smart basketball, but he gained a national rep for not caring if they went to class or committed a few felonies. If he were running a pro sports team, I'd say that's no big deal. However, he was working for a place that purports to care about education and personal conduct.

Plenty of other coaches bring in hardship cases, learning disabled players and kids with criminal histories. Though a lot of those coaches actually make sure those kids get that degree (and more importantly the education that comes with it) rather than just hanging around for the coach's glorification. Some of those coaches will actually bench players who aren't hitting the books or who fail to live up to a high standard of conduct. Mind you, since those coaches may not have 14 straight NCAA appearances, they may not be eligible for sainthood.
    You know, M2, I rarely disagree with you... but you've got this one all wrong.

Bob Huggins can lecture his ball players until he's blue in the face to attend class and do their homework (and he has), but he can not force them to do so, even by benching them (which he has also done)... UC can, however. If they do not attend class and as a result sport a failing GPA, they are inelligible to play... period. This has happened many times and has not been kept a secret by any means. It is not, however, Bob Huggins' fault. No coach can force a kid to get a degree... as you alluded to; it's impossible. All that coach can do is offer advice and council him on the virtues of a college degree and bench the guy if he doesn't even try. I can not believe for even one minute that Bob Huggins does not do that.

In addition, many of them choose to enter the NBA draft before their senior year... that also is beyond Bob Huggins' control. I highly doubt he's ever happy to lose his best players prior to their senior year. That's just a ridiculous thought.

And do you honestly think that when one of those guys gets in trouble that he slaps them on the back and says "good job! you're my kind of kid!"?

Have you ever been to senior night at a game... or watched it on TV? Funny, but there always seem to be several players that participate... seniors!

.... not caring if they went to class or committed a few felonies. He may have had the rep, but for those of us who follow every single aspect of UC Basketball, it certainly is not the truth.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?