Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Robertson endorses assassinating Chavez

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Robertson endorses assassinating Chavez

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., Aug. 23 (UPI) -- U.S. televangelist and conservative Christian Pat Robertson has called for the assassination of left-wing Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

Speaking on his Christian Broadcasting Network's "The 700 Club," the conservative Robertson claimed Chavez was trying to make Venezuela "a launching pad for Communist infiltration and Muslim extremism all over the continent."

Citing Chavez's close ties with Cuban leader Fidel Castro and Venezuela's significant supply of oil, Robertson said the need for his elimination is justified, CNN said.

We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one strong-arm dictator," he said. "It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

The White House denies trying to kill Chavez though does accuse him of trying to transform Venezuela into a Cuba-style state.

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," said Robertson during a broadcast of The 700 Club.

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability."

This may be the first time I agree with Robertson.

Unfortunately he was the wrong messenger for this.

(how do i get the text to wrap?)
    Last edited by oneupper; 08-23-2005 at 01:19 PM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Robertson endorses assassinating Chavez

don't wrap it in code tags.

me? I'm not down with popping other countries leaders.

how would you feel about religious leaders in other countries calling on the assassination of Bush?
    School's out. What did you expect?

how would you feel about religious leaders in other countries calling on the assassination of Bush?
    I'd create a reason to declare war on them... that's what I'd do by gum.

Maybe Chavez is hiding the WMD in Venezuela?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

That's a good Christian thing to say, Pat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I knew there would a lot of controversy here. I imagine Bush is on a number of "hit lists" around the world.

The "Chavez" problem has gotten out of hand, for a number or reason, not the least being the mismanagement of diplomacy by the US (read: Bush government).

Time will tell how large a threat he eventually becomes, but make no mistake, he is a threat. And Robertson's rhetoric about turning Venezuela into "a launching pad for Communist infiltration and Muslim extremism all over the continent" is essentially true.

Chavez tries to play himself off as an "elected" leader. In reality he rigged the electoral system to ensure surviving a recall vote, and his permanent possession of power. He is a megalomaniac, and given the right circumstances will stop at NOTHING to extract vengeance from his "enemies".

According to Chavez, the US is THE enemy (or one of the at least).

Is he a "hot air baloon" or an "early-stage" Hitler? Time will tell. But it promises to be messy.

Kill him? Despite "agreeing with Robertson", its probably too late for that.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

He rigged the election? Do you have proof of that?

I don't disagree that guy is crooked. But I do think it's best handled internally, and I do think it will be. At least half the people in Venezuela want him bounced. I think they should get that opportunity. It's not like they're not trying.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper

This may be the first time I agree with Robertson.

Unfortunately he was the wrong messenger for this.

(how do i get the text to wrap?)
    What do we have to fear from Chavez? That he makes sure his country benefits from its oil reserves? That he has instituted far reaching progams to help the poor? Yes, the man has a relationship with Castro, whom we have no reason to fear either. Chavez is a democratically elected President, and watch dog groups on elections have worse things to say about our 2000 presidential election than his election in 1999 and the recent referendum.

From cia factbook:

Executive branch:
    chief of state: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias (since 3 February 1999); Vice President Jose Vicente RANGEL Vale (since 28 April 2002); note - the president is both the chief of state and head of government
    head of government: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias (since 3 February 1999); Vice President Jose Vicente RANGEL Vale (since 28 April 2002); note - the president is both the chief of state and head of government
    cabinet: Council of Ministers appointed by the president
    elections: president elected by popular vote for a six-year term; election last held 30 July 2000 (next to be held NA 2006)
    election results: Hugo CHAVEZ Frias reelected president; percent of vote - 60%
    note: a special presidential recall vote on 15 August 2004 resulted in a victory for CHAVEZ; percent of vote - 58% in favor of CHAVEZ fulfilling the remaining two years of his term, 42% in favor of terminating his presidency immediately
    Legislative branch:
    unicameral National Assembly or Asamblea Nacional (165 seats; members elected by popular vote to serve five-year terms; three seats reserved for the indigenous peoples of Venezuela)
    elections: last held 30 July 2000 (next to be held July 2005)
    election results: percent of vote by party - NA%; seats by party - pro-government 108 (MVR 92, MAS 6, indigenous 3, other 7), opposition 57 (AD 33, COPEI 6, Justice First 5, other 13)

His is a legitimate government, that does not put corporate interests and the interests of the wealthy above the interests of all Venezuelans, that is why he won by very large margains both times.

Here is what the cia factbook's overview of the country:

Introduction Venezuela Top of Page
    Background:
    Venezuela was one of three countries that emerged from the collapse of Gran Colombia in 1830 (the others being Colombia and Ecuador). For most of the first half of the 20th century, Venezuela was ruled by generally benevolent military strongmen, who promoted the oil industry and allowed for some social reforms. Democratically elected governments have held sway since 1959. Current concerns include: a polarized political environment, a politicized military, drug-related violence along the Colombian border, increasing internal drug consumption, overdependence on the petroleum industry with its price fluctuations, and irresponsible mining operations that are endangering the rain forest and indigenous peoples.

Replace Colombian with Mexican and take out the rain forest and indigenous peoples and the current concerns sound alot like America's current concerns.

This attitude once agin proves that many are only interested in Democracy if that means our corporate interests are shared.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Oneupper, you do seem very concerned about the spread of communism. One thing to think about is that the south and central american communist movements are very much a reaction to the years of dictatorship and abuses fostered by the US against these countries. I know a lot of people don't want to hear it, but there are very good reasons why many people in these countries feel the US is the enemy, because for most the last century we were.

If we want to change that perception I don't think assasinating their leaders, whether they are good or bad, is the way to go. To me, that just seems like a good way to rile up a bunch of folks in a nationalistic panic; people who might otherwise be inclined to whack the guy themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Is he a "hot air baloon" or an "early-stage" Hitler? Time will tell. But it promises to be messy.
    Hyperbole much?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    He rigged the election? Do you have proof of that?
    The story of the August 2004 recall vote is a long one, but yes...in my opinion (and that of MILLIONS of Venezuelans), it was rigged.

There is "evidence" to support this, but "proof", I'd say not...since the electoral council was in Chavez' hands and access to key data was blocked by the council.

Just as an example, audits of the results (the vote was by 'touch screen" with a paper trail) were NOT allowed. Only a small sample was audited, and the council itself generated that "random" sample.

Exit polls had indicated a much different result.

In the end, the main international oberserver (the Carter Foundation) signed off on the results, much to the dismay of millions of freedom-loving venezuelans. The OAS also was an observer and signed off also, with some important qualifications.

The organization which denounced most of the electoral irregularities (Sumate) is being pursued actively by the goverment and many of its members are currently on trial.

No smoking gun...sorry.

boy, that sure sounds like a certain election in a freedom lovin' country I've heard of before......maybe we oughta ....naaahh

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Oneupper, you do seem very concerned about the spread of communism. One thing to think about is that the south and central american communist movements are very much a reaction to the years of dictatorship and abuses fostered by the US against these countries. I know a lot of people don't want to hear it, but there are very good reasons why many people in these countries feel the US is the enemy, because for most the last century we were.
    My father fled Hungary in 1946 as it turned communist. I left Venezuela with my family two years ago due the same fears.

"Communism" itself is not the problem. It's the stripping away of freedom.
    That is what is happening in Venezuela...not necessarily communism. The goal is as much power as possible. For that goal, institutions are dominated, the "private" or free economy is cornered. Not to necessarily "own" it, but to dominate. (sorry, this is hard to explain).

As for the US as the enemy. It is simply NOT true. Venezuelans, in general, have no special feeling for the US. However, a small group of cold war dinosaurs have made their way into power with Chavez and are trying to stir up hatred. Sure, if your president (who many admire) is on the air daily saying you're poor and unemployed because of the US...well the hatred picks up.

Turn Off Ads?