Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Robertson endorses assassinating Chavez

Re: Robertson endorses assassinating Chavez

I never really thought bad of Pat Robertson. I thought he was a pretty legit televangelist - which, back in the late 80's, was no small feat. I didn't think any better or worse of him than I did of any of the televangelists like Robert Schuller or Billy Graham. But when the Gulf War started back in 1991, I happened to come across him one night on the 700 Club. He was talking about the war and emphasizing how this could be the beginning of Armegeddon. And then he started pimping his book about the End of Days. That's when he lost me for good. I'm thinking, this guy doesn't really care if this could be Armegeddon, he just wants us to buy his book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Pat's sorry now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050825/...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-

Robertson Apologizes for Chavez Remarks

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson apologized Wednesday for calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, only hours after he denied saying Chavez should be killed.

"Is it right to call for assassination?" Robertson said. "No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."

Chavez, whose country is the world's fifth-largest oil exporter, has emerged as one of the most outspoken critics of President Bush. He accuses the United States of conspiring to topple his government and possibly backing plots to assassinate him. U.S. officials have called the accusations ridiculous.

On Monday's telecast of his Christian Broadcasting Network show "The 700 Club," Robertson had said: "You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war, and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."

He continued: "We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

On Wednesday, he initially denied having called for Chavez to be killed and said The Associated Press had misinterpreted his remarks.

"I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take him out,'" Robertson said on his show. "'Take him out' could be a number of things including kidnapping."

He later issued the apology on his Web site.

When the AP had called Robertson on Tuesday for elaboration, spokeswoman Angell Watts said Robertson would not do interviews and had no statement about his remarks. He also declined several interview requests Wednesday.

On Tuesday, the State Department called Robertson's remarks "inappropriate."
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Danny Graves is my Homey

As a minister, it is embarrassing to say the least. The unfortunate thing with televangelists is that they are nowhere near what most pastors think theologically (Graham being the exception, though he probably wasnt a televangelist). They just happen to be the loudest and most obnoxious (benny hinn, parsley, purple haired lady on tbn). I groan everytime a news show wheels out for the "lets see how offensive falwell/robertson can be today!"
    It is okay for people to make mistakes, he let his own feelings of chavez get in the way and he opened his mouth. He could have just said "I got ahead of my self, i was an idiot. Sorry. " and let it go, but now he is pimping kidnaping?!! what is up with this guy?

Robertson retracted his statement after removing his foot from his mouth.

Maybe he only wants Chavez "mostly dead". Cancel the call to Miracle Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I never really thought bad of Pat Robertson. I thought he was a pretty legit televangelist - which, back in the late 80's, was no small feat. I didn't think any better or worse of him than I did of any of the televangelists like Robert Schuller or Billy Graham. But when the Gulf War started back in 1991, I happened to come across him one night on the 700 Club. He was talking about the war and emphasizing how this could be the beginning of Armegeddon. And then he started pimping his book about the End of Days. That's when he lost me for good. I'm thinking, this guy doesn't really care if this could be Armegeddon, he just wants us to buy his book.
    I agree Chip. I really don't know what has gotten into this man over the last several years. I was never an avid follwer of the 700 Club, but I do have several of his teaching series on tape. They were excellent.

But he sometimes does not practice what he preaches.

But as Christians, we are told that our "eyes" are not to be on men.

I have some of Swaggert's teaching series from back in the late 70's and early 80's. Also very good. But what amazed me was when he "fell" (along with some of these other televangelists) that the flock scattered in disillusionment. Their eyes were on the wrong person IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Rychian
    As a minister, it is embarrassing to say the least. The unfortunate thing with televangelists is that they are nowhere near what most pastors think theologically (Graham being the exception, though he probably wasnt a televangelist). They just happen to be the loudest and most obnoxious (benny hinn, parsley, purple haired lady on tbn). I groan everytime a news show wheels out for the "lets see how offensive falwell/robertson can be today!"
    It is okay for people to make mistakes, he let his own feelings of chavez get in the way and he opened his mouth. He could have just said "I got ahead of my self, i was an idiot. Sorry. " and let it go, but now he is pimping kidnaping?!! what is up with this guy?
    a huge sin that is characteristic of all men.... a lack of humilty when we screw up. It bruises the ego.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Borowitz is now "reporting" that, in a show of solidarity with Chavez, Fidel Castro has announced he plans to violently overthrow Robertson from the "700 Club." http://www.borowitz.com/
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Borowitz is now "reporting" that, in a show of solidarity with Chavez, Fidel Castro has announced he plans to violently overthrow Robertson from the "700 Club." http://www.borowitz.com/
    I tried to access that page but I get a message in German and a sign of a guy digging.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I tried to access that page but I get a message in German and a sign of a guy digging.
    I think it should be this:

http://www.borowitzreport.com/
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I think it should be this:

http://www.borowitzreport.com/
    OK, that's much better.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

That was me trying to get to the Warsteiners - and my language was censored!

Sorry-my bad.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Yes, because that was the only message Christ ever delivered. [In effemenate voice] "You brood of vipers! C'mon, sthtop being mean, guys."
    I think you mistook my intent, which can easily happen on message boards. I was in no way trying to disrespect Jesus, I was merely saying that most of what He said and did during His life was misunderstood by those of His time, and that probably would be no different were He here with us in person today.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I think you mistook my intent, which can easily happen on message boards. I was in no way trying to disrespect Jesus, I was merely saying that most of what He said and did during His life was misunderstood by those of His time, and that probably would be no different were He here with us in person today.
    I understood you to be saying that if he did speak on the issue, it would be a "love and peace" message. I was saying, not necessarily.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I understood you to be saying that if he did speak on the issue, it would be a "love and peace" message. I was saying, not necessarily.
    Maybe he would smite Pat Robertson in the thigh or something.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?