Re: Robertson endorses assassinating Chavez

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    A sort of German Pinochet if you will.
    although some will say Allende
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Poor Pat. What would Jesus do?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff
    What do we have to fear from Chavez? That he makes sure his country benefits from its oil reserves? That he has instituted far reaching progams to help the poor? Yes, the man has a relationship with Castro, whom we have no reason to fear either. Chavez is a democratically elected President, and watch dog groups on elections have worse things to say about our 2000 presidential election than his election in 1999 and the recent referendum.

From cia factbook:

Executive branch:
    chief of state: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias (since 3 February 1999); Vice President Jose Vicente RANGEL Vale (since 28 April 2002); note - the president is both the chief of state and head of government
    head of government: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias (since 3 February 1999); Vice President Jose Vicente RANGEL Vale (since 28 April 2002); note - the president is both the chief of state and head of government
    cabinet: Council of Ministers appointed by the president
    elections: president elected by popular vote for a six-year term; election last held 30 July 2000 (next to be held NA 2006)
    election results: Hugo CHAVEZ Frias reelected president; percent of vote - 60%
    note: a special presidential recall vote on 15 August 2004 resulted in a victory for CHAVEZ; percent of vote - 58% in favor of CHAVEZ fulfilling the remaining two years of his term, 42% in favor of terminating his presidency immediately
    Legislative branch:
    unicameral National Assembly or Asamblea Nacional (165 seats; members elected by popular vote to serve five-year terms; three seats reserved for the indigenous peoples of Venezuela)
    elections: last held 30 July 2000 (next to be held July 2005)
    election results: percent of vote by party - NA%; seats by party - pro-government 108 (MVR 92, MAS 6, indigenous 3, other 7), opposition 57 (AD 33, COPEI 6, Justice First 5, other 13)

His is a legitimate government, that does not put corporate interests and the interests of the wealthy above the interests of all Venezuelans, that is why he won by very large margains both times.

Here is what the cia factbook's overview of the country:

Introduction Venezuela Top of Page
    Background:
    Venezuela was one of three countries that emerged from the collapse of Gran Colombia in 1830 (the others being Colombia and Ecuador). For most of the first half of the 20th century, Venezuela was ruled by generally benevolent military strongmen, who promoted the oil industry and allowed for some social reforms. Democratically elected governments have held sway since 1959. Current concerns include: a polarized political environment, a politicized military, drug-related violence along the Colombian border, increasing internal drug consumption, overdependence on the petroleum industry with its price fluctuations, and irresponsible mining operations that are endangering the rain forest and indigenous peoples.

Replace Colombian with Mexican and take out the rain forest and indigenous peoples and the current concerns sound alot like America's current concerns.

This attitude once agin proves that many are only interested in Democracy if that means our corporate interests are shared.
    You really like Stalin too...Right?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Poor Pat. What would Jesus do?
    He would probably tell a story about a man and his sons, or write something in the dirt. It would have something to do with love for one's enemies and peace, but probably be misunderstood.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Andy Borowitz is now "reporting" that Pat Robertson has announced that the U.S. should also covet Chavez's wife. http://www.borowitzreport.com
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    You really like Stalin too...Right?

That's right up there with comparing people liking Hitler and it's uncalled for. I don't know everything about the Chavez situation, but a lot of the information I have gotten have come from the Right Wing Echo chamber. It makes you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    He would probably tell a story about a man and his sons, or write something in the dirt. It would have something to do with love for one's enemies and peace, but probably be misunderstood.
    Yes, because that was the only message Christ ever delivered. [In effemenate voice] "You brood of vipers! C'mon, sthtop being mean, guys."

But, from his time on earth, I don't recall Christ getting involved in the kingdoms of this world. He even let himself be killed by a corrupt government that practiced cesar worship, so the dealings of a dictator would likely not concern him during his ministry. However, Robertson's command is un-Biblical according to the following verses:
    Romans 13:1-7 KJV
    (1) Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
    (2) Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
    (3) For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    (4) For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
    (5) Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
    (6) For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
    (7) Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
    In other words, Robertson would have to have direct knowledge from God that He wanted a leader removed from power by being put to death. And Pat has no such knowledge, trust me. If someone did have that power, they wouldn't even know it.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

It looks like Pat's backed off his statements somewhat.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050824/...a_robertson_dc

Evangelist backs off Chavez assassination call

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Conservative U.S. evangelist Pat Robertson, who called for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, said on Wednesday he was misinterpreted and there were a number of ways to "take him out" including kidnapping.

"I said our special forces could take him out. Take him out could be a number of things including kidnapping," Robertson said on his "The 700 Club" television program.

"There are a number of ways of taking out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted," Robertson added.

Robertson, the founder of the Christian Coalition and a presidential candidate in 1988, said on Monday of Chavez, one of Bush's most vocal critics: "If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it."

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability." He made the comments during his "The 700 Club" television program.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Tuesday dismissed Robertson's remarks, but the White House remained silent despite calls for repudiation from Venezuela and religious leaders including the Rev. Jesse Jackson. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack called "without fact and baseless" any ideas of hostile action against Chavez or Venezuela.

The leftist Chavez has often accused the United States of plotting his overthrow or assassination. Alongside Cuban President Fidel Castro in Havana on Sunday, Chavez scoffed at the idea that he and Castro were destabilizing troublemakers.

Chavez survived a short-lived coup in 2002 that he says was backed by the United States. Washington denies involvement.

Venezuelan officials said Robertson's remarks, while those of a private citizen, took on more significance given his ties to President George W. Bush's Christian-right supporters.

"Mr Robertson has been one of this president's staunchest allies. His statement demands the strongest condemnation by the White House," Venezuela's ambassador to the United States Bernardo Alvarez said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

"I said our special forces could take him out. Take him out could be a number of things including kidnapping," Robertson said on his "The 700 Club" television program.

Riiiiiiiight. Sure that's what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R

"There are a number of ways of taking out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted," Robertson added.
    Oh, stuff it, Pat. Just admit you screwed up. You thought the neocons and uber-right wingers would rally around you with a chorus of "yeahs!" when you made that comment. You never expected the backlash you received, and you certainly weren't prepared to offer an apology for them.

TR was right--who could possibly take this guy seriously?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

religious leaders including the Rev. Jesse Jackson.
    Well, now something has gotta be done. Jesse has spoken
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R

Pat Robertson now says he meant we should just "kidnap" Chavez? Yeah, like that would go over well in Venezuela. This isn't Panama, where Noreiga was an unquestioned thug with no political legitimacy. I don't respect Chavez, I fear for where he will take his country, and he's bad news-but kidnap an elected foreign leader?
    I would hope at least one or two liberal Democrats here might have been upset if a foreign country had kidnapped President George W. Bush following the 2000 election, regardless of their rhetoric against Bush. I would expect any kidnapping of Chavez would merely unite his entire country against America.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

perhaps W. should just invite Chavez for tea at the white house and when he is not looking barbara bush could tackle him

But seriously, why anyone would advocate asasinating the A's thirdbasemen is beyond me...Sure he is no Sal Bando but Gessh!

Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    perhaps W. should just invite Chavez for tea at the white house and when he is not looking barbara bush could tackle him
    Well, that would at least keep her "beautiful mind" off unpleasant things like thousands of young Americans killed in Iraq.

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0429-11.htm
    "Why should we hear about body bags and deaths," Barbara Bush said on ABC's "Good Morning America" on March 18, 2003. "Oh, I mean, it's not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?"

Turn Off Ads?