Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Robertson endorses assassinating Chavez

Re: Robertson endorses assassinating Chavez

I gotta go to bed guys. I'm a 3rd shifter, and you're depriving me of my beauty sleep. if I don't get my 10 hours, I'm a bear!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

GAC,

Sorry, but I said all along I know what a CHICKENHAWK is. I did not define it earlier as you say I did. I just said I know one when I see one. Just because you have defined it one way to suit you and support your HATERED for John Kerry/Bill Clinton/Al Gore does not make how I define it wrong.

And yes, if your are beating your chest for this war in Iraq and of military age and able, you should be clicking on the link below.
    Last edited by RBA; 08-30-2005 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Got proof of that? No documents from the 70's that use modern font styles, please. Proof please. Otherwise, it sounds like hate-filled rhetoric.
    "Hate-filled rhetoric"?

Nope, sorry buddy...just the truth.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Isn't that how alot of campaigns are run though Ben? - you're either for us or against us. Both sides ran effective an smear campaign IMO. Whether it was Karl Rove and Swift Boat, or Micheal Moore, George Soros, and MoveON.
    the difference there, though, is that Michael Moore, Soros and MoveOn weren't working for the Kerry campaign. Rove was Bush's capaign ADVISOR. He works in the White House...and I don't buy the "everyone's doing it" line...as in, have we really been reduced to that? It's OK that I smear you because you'll smear me? Pathetic.

It was simply about who could smear who the worst and influence the voter the most. To heck with the issues that the American public really wanted to hear about.
    Yep. Sad, ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I agree Ben. I actually like Maher's show though. I may not agree with the pothead, but he can be quite humorous.
    I much preferred his show over that blowhard Colin Quinn. He wasn't funny on SNL, and he wasn't funny on Comedy Central.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I much preferred his show over that blowhard Colin Quinn. He wasn't funny on SNL, and he wasn't funny on Comedy Central.
    Bill's funny on his show, however I find his standup BORING... I like potheads too, they're easier to watch then guys on coke and easier to listen to then guys on oxycontin.

For a Level Playing Field

"Hate-filled rhetoric"?

Nope, sorry buddy...just the truth.
    Although this thread has diverted from the original topic (imagine that!)... I am supposed to believe "straight dope" from Cecil? Is Cecil anymore believable than the Swiftboat Vets? I don't know and I do not think anyone can prove anything that Cecil or the Swifties say... for sure. Cecil may be on some sort of dope as far as I know. His answer starts off with a reference to his comments about the Bush family having a tie to Nazis. Despite that cheap shot (which makes straight doper Cecil's agenda obvious), I read on.

Personally, I will believe that the man was AWOL when he faces charges and is convicted of being AWOL. Being AWOL is a crime. Yeah, yeah... so is speeding in your car and just b/c you are not convicted does not mean you do not do it. However, Cecil does not sell me. He can sell you and that is fine. But do not try to make this set-in-stone-truth b/c straight doper Cecil says so. Even Dan Rather would not use Cecil's words and that must count for something.

Here ya go guys.....

http://lp.org/

Everybody get on board then we won't have to argue on here anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Here ya go guys.....

http://lp.org/

Everybody get on board then we won't have to argue on here anymore.
    That's good, Jay!

That's good, Jay!
    LOL, I figured everybody else was pimpin their party, might as well pimp mine too.

Although this thread has diverted from the original topic (imagine that!)... I am supposed to believe "straight dope" from Cecil? Is Cecil anymore believable than the Swiftboat Vets? I don't know and I do not think anyone can prove anything that Cecil or the Swifties say... for sure. Cecil may be on some sort of dope as far as I know. His answer starts off with a reference to his comments about the Bush family having a tie to Nazis. Despite that cheap shot (which makes straight doper Cecil's agenda obvious), I read on.

Personally, I will believe that the man was AWOL when he faces charges and is convicted of being AWOL. Being AWOL is a crime. Yeah, yeah... so is speeding in your car and just b/c you are not convicted does not mean you do not do it. However, Cecil does not sell me. He can sell you and that is fine. But do not try to make this set-in-stone-truth b/c straight doper Cecil says so. Even Dan Rather would not use Cecil's words and that must count for something.
    Actually, you obviously didn't read it that closely, or else you would have noticed two things:

1-The Nazi Reference was made by the person writing the letter, concerning an earlier column.

2-The term "the straight dope" implies a lack of bias--in other words, its akin to the urban legends sites that you see, that serve to either confirm or debunk stories, not offer opinions on them.

That you saw a bias in this story is more reflective of your own bias, not Mr. Adam's (after all, you neglected to point out his last line, which was "Bush's enemies say all this proves he was a cowardly deserter. Nonsense. He was a pampered rich kid who took advantage. Why wasn't he called on it in a serious way during the 2000 election? Probably because Democrats figured they'd get Clinton's draft-dodging thing thrown back at them.") If you believe the story is inaccurate, feel free to provide evidence or links which refute what was included. If you can't do that, then your dismissal of the response is nothing but baseless whining.

And, BTW, since you were so curious about the reference you decided NOT to look it up, here is what was written about the Bush's and the nazis. Oh, the bias is overwhelming!

Dear Cecil:

I read in the New Yorker that George W. Bush's grandfather and great-grandfather worked for Brown Brothers Harriman, and had clients who funded the building of the Nazi regime. I searched the Net and found hundreds of sites giving volumes of details and listing sources like the New York Times and the Library of Congress. Conspiracy theories aside, what's the truth about our president's family? --Matt Tiegler

Cecil replies:

Remember how during the Clinton era there were all those rabid EOBs (Enemies of Bill) who seemingly devoted their every waking hour to propagating scurrilous stories about the president and his family? Well, an equally dedicated crew is now spreading sensational allegations about Dubya and his forebears. (Sample: the president's grandfather not only financed the Nazis, he used concentration-camp prisoners as slaves.) So each side gets a chance to drag the other through the mud. Is this a great country or what?

Though the Bush family's detractors are legion, one of the most prominent is John Loftus, a former federal prosecutor and past president of the Florida Holocaust Museum in Saint Petersburg. In 1994 Loftus coauthored a book with Mark Aarons entitled The Secret War Against the Jews: How Western Espionage Betrayed the Jewish People. The book alleges various misdeeds by George W.'s father, George H.W., his grandfather, Prescott Bush, and his great-grandfather, George Herbert Walker. Since space is limited we'll focus on the accusations against Prescott Bush, which in my opinion are the most serious.

The central charge against Prescott Bush has a basis in fact. In 1942, under the Trading With the Enemy Act, the U.S. government seized several companies in which he had an interest. Prescott at the time was an investment banker with Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH), which had funneled U.S. capital into Germany during the 1920s and '30s. Among the seized companies was the Union Banking Corporation (UBC) of New York, which was controlled by German industrialist Fritz Thyssen. Thyssen had been an early financier of the Nazi party--in fact, in 1941 he published a book entitled I Paid Hitler. Ergo, Prescott helped finance the Nazis.

An article by journalist Toby Rogers posted on Loftus's Web site makes an even more explosive charge. Another company in which Prescott and his associates had a stake was the Silesian-American Corporation (SAC), which owned several industrial concerns in Poland. The Auschwitz death camp was established in a district where SAC already had a steel plant. The plant allegedly used forced labor from Auschwitz during World War II. The article asserts that "a portion of the slave labor force in Poland was 'managed by Prescott Bush,' according to a Dutch intelligence agent." (See www.john-loftus.com/Thyssen.asp.)

The slave labor charge is easy to dismiss. SAC plants in Poland were taken over by the German government after the Nazi invasion of 1939, and the Auschwitz prison camp wasn't established until 1940. No one can seriously claim that Prescott Bush managed camp inmates in any of those plants.

Prescott's involvement with Nazi finance is more complicated. Though Thyssen had been an ardent backer of the Nazis in the early days, he broke with them in 1938 after the Kristallnacht pogrom against the Jews. He fled to Switzerland the following year, and Hitler confiscated his fortune and stripped him of his citizenship. In I Paid Hitler Thyssen confessed his role in financing the Nazis and denounced the Führer. Arrested in Vichy France, he spent the balance of the war as an Axis prisoner. Prescott Bush, for his part, owned a single share of stock (of 4,000) in UBC, the Thyssen bank. According to a 2001 Boston Globe piece, the New York Herald Tribune ran a story in July 1942 headlined "Hitler's Angel Has 3 Million in US Bank," in which Prescott and other BBH partners "explain[ed] to government regulators that their position [as directors of UBC] was merely an unpaid courtesy for a client."

So, did Bush and his firm finance the Nazis and enable Germany to rearm? Indirectly, yes. But they had a lot of company. Some of the most distinguished names in American business had investments or subsidiaries in prewar Germany, including Standard Oil and General Motors. Critics have argued for years that without U.S. money, the Nazis could never have waged war. But American business has always invested in totalitarian regimes--witness our dealings with mainland China.

Loftus tells me there's more to it than that. He says that the value of German industrial assets in which Bush and friends invested increased during World War II, in part due to slave labor, and that Bush benefited from this increase when the assets were returned--supposedly he got $1.5 million when UBC was liquidated in 1951. I'll buy the claim that Bush got his share of UBC back--it was an American bank, after all--but the idea that his German holdings increased in value despite being obliterated by Allied bombs is ridiculous.

President Straight Doper Cecil. A man who has all the answers... and truthful. Sounds like Straight Doper Cecil would be a good man to lead this country... and perhaps a Dem that is actually electable (a novel concept).

Whine? Did I whine when Pres. Clinton won twice? NOPE. Anyone from the other side done any whining during the last two pres. elections? Tell me all about whining. Or perhaps Straight Doper Cecil is an expert in this whining thing? If he says it, it must be true.

President Straight Doper Cecil. A man who has all the answers... and truthful. Sounds like Straight Doper Cecil would be a good man to lead this country... and perhaps a Dem that is actually electable (a novel concept).
    Actually, someone who had no preconceived biases, provided thorough research to support his findings, and was an avowed independent would be an EXCELLENT person to run this country, I completely agree with you.

Or perhaps Straight Doper Cecil is an expert in this whining thing? If he says it, it must be true.
    I've given you an opportunity to refute it. Can you?

<waits>

And, BTW, since you were so curious about the reference you decided NOT to look it up, here is what was written about the Bush's and the nazis. Oh, the bias is overwhelming!
    Oh, yes. I have heard through the internet that the last Bush family reunion included goose-stepping, swastikas and chants of "Heil Hitler". But I do not want to sttttrrrrreeeetttttcccchhhhh things. Nor would I hold something against a person due to actions of ONE family member. But such is life on the other side of the fence. No pics of Prescott and Hitler shaking hands (ala Rummy and Sddam)? I am surprised.

Turn Off Ads?