Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana Coal: Potential Solution to Energy Crisis?

Montana Coal: Potential Solution to Energy Crisis?

While his colleagues around the country are busy mooching off lobbyists, firing their political opponents from merit-based jobs, playing free golf, and getting indicted, Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer is excited about something that actually could help taxpayers. He believes an eighty-year-old process producing fuel from coal developed by the Nazis, of all people, could help solve America's fuel crisis.

Read on...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050825/...rgy_montana_dc

HELENA, Montana (Reuters) - Montana's governor wants to solve America's rising energy costs using a technology discovered in Germany 80 years ago that converts coal into gasoline, diesel and aviation fuel.

The Fischer-Tropsch technology, discovered by German researchers in 1923 and later used by the Nazis to convert coal into wartime fuels, was not economical as long as oil cost less than $30 a barrel.

But with U.S. crude oil now hitting more than double that price, Gov. Brian Schweitzer's plan is getting more attention across the country and some analysts are taking him very seriously.

Montana is "sitting on more energy than they have in the Middle East," Schweitzer told Reuters in an interview this week.

"I am leading this country in this desire and demand to convert coal into gasoline, diesel and aviation fuel. We can do it in Montana for $1 per gallon," he said.

"We can do it cheaper than importing oil from the sheiks, dictators, rats and crooks that we're bringing it from right now."

The governor estimated the cost of producing a barrel of oil through the Fischer-Tropsch method at $32, and said that with its 120 billion tons of coal -- a little less than a third of the U.S total -- Montana could supply the entire United States with its aviation, gas and diesel fuel for 40 years without creating environmental damage.

An entry level Fischer-Tropsch plant producing 22,000 barrels a day would cost about $1.5 billion, he said.

The Democratic governor of this Republican state said he had met with Shell president John Hofmeister, General Electric's CEO Jeff Immelt, as well as officials from the Department of Defense, and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad to discuss his proposals.

Schweitzer added that the recently passed federal energy bill includes an 80 percent loan guarantee for a Fischer- Tropsch plant.

A former cattle rancher who lived for seven years in Saudi Arabia working on irrigation projects, Schweitzer is also seeking energy deals with other states, especially California.

California "says they need 25,000 megawatts of electricity during the next ten years," he said. "We'll give you a delivered price and we'll forward contract that for the next 20 years.

"Transmission companies from England, from Canada, from all over America are coming to my office and saying 'we'll build these transmission lines as soon as you have the contracts to build the generation."'
    This sounds great, and I've heard from other sources that it burns cleaner than the current energy source. If Montana's coal can provide decades of clean fuel, then what about Ohio's? West Virginia's? Is this a viable solution?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Montana Coal: Potential Solution to Energy Crisis?

If true, this is good news with a downside. While it could cut our dependence on foreign oil, it is still not renewable (and not all that clean). I support this but I hope we can still push through renewable energy legislation.

Go for it, we need something till Hydrogen arrives
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    While his colleagues around the country are busy mooching off lobbyists, firing their political opponents from merit-based jobs, playing free golf, and getting indicted, Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer is excited about something that actually could help taxpayers. He believes an eighty-year-old process producing fuel from coal developed by the Nazis, of all people, could help solve America's fuel crisis.

Read on...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050825/...rgy_montana_dc

This sounds great, and I've heard from other sources that it burns cleaner than the current energy source. If Montana's coal can provide decades of clean fuel, then what about Ohio's? West Virginia's? Is this a viable solution?
    For some reason I want to say the coal in the western US burns cleaner than coal in the east, lower sulphur maybe, but I'm really not sure.
    The article does raise hopes, and also illustrates the possibility as the cost of oil rises many other forms of energy may become more economically viable.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

This should be part of a "man on the moon" strategy for energy independence. Let's put everything on the table. Go big or go home.

If this gets off the ground and works wonders - then China can have all the OPEC oil they want.

Whatever happened to ethanol??
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    If this gets off the ground and works wonders - then China can have all the OPEC oil they want.

It requires more energy to produce than it saves.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

According to a radio report I heard the other day, tar sands (also referred to as oil sands) becomes commercially viable at around gasoline prices of $3.00/gallon. Reserves in Alberta Providence, Canada alone exceed the total reserves of Saudi Arabia.

Rem

What about environmental issues when it comes to excavating this coal? I could see that being a HUGE issue with certain environmental groups. But maybe not.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I guess Ted Turner wasn't such a kook afterall. He bought up half the state of Montana in the 1980's. Maybe Ted is just that much ahead of the game. Than again, he probably doesn't own the coal.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Congress pulled the big $$$ ethanol subsidies out of the budget a few years ago. Even subsidized, ethanol was little more than an expensive additive to stretch gasoline. Using it in quantities greater than 10 percent requires retuning engines. Perhaps a modern computerized engine could be retuned at the flick of a few computer "switches?"
    /r/reds

i'd feel better paying $2.50 a gallon knowing it came from Montana than it did OPEC.

I think OPEC will feel a sting...but China supposively would take all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    What about environmental issues when it comes to excavating this coal? I could see that being a HUGE issue with certain environmental groups. But maybe not.
    Those people are going to be there no matter what...whether its excavating coal or waiting for oil spills in barrier reefs.......

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    I guess Ted Turner wasn't such a kook afterall. He bought up half the state of Montana in the 1980's. Maybe Ted is just that much ahead of the game. Than again, he probably doesn't own the coal.
    The people/land ratio is ever increasing. Anybody who is buying land for the long-haul is one smart cookie IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Could it be worse then Oil drilling?
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?