Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strong outing by Homer Bailey tonight

Strong outing by Homer Bailey tonight

Five innings of 3-hit shutout ball, walking none and striking out six. The key is zero walks.

I was working on a post the other day in which I was comparing how Bailey does as a starter vs working out of relief. Before I could add up his ERA from each role, I accidently hit the escape button and it wiped out my whole post. Maybe later tonight I will attempt it again.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...elafx_dayafx_1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Strong outing by Homer Bailey tonight

For some reason they only let him go 5 innings. They did say Obrien was in attendence.

I listened to the game when I was in Blue Ash (only place I seem to be able to get the Dayton AM station) they were quite impressed with Bailey.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Five innings of 3-hit shutout ball, walking none and striking out six. The key is zero walks.

I was working on a post the other day in which I was comparing how Bailey does as a starter vs working out of relief. Before I could add up his ERA from each role, I accidently hit the escape button and it wiped out my whole post. Maybe later tonight I will attempt it again.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...elafx_dayafx_1
    OBM, here is Homers stats/game including tonight. I've kind of been following a couple guys all year and he's one.

Homer Bailey
    Code:
    App	IP	TBF	H	R	ER	HR	SO	BB	HBP
    GS	2.0	13	4	5	3	0	4	2	0
    R	3.3	12	2	1	1	0	6	1	0
    GS	4.0	17	4	3	2	1	6	0	0
    R	2.0	12	3	4	0	0	3	2	0
    GS	5.0	17	1	0	0	0	6	1	0
    R	3.0	11	2	0	0	0	5	2	0
    GS	5.0	21	3	0	0	0	5	4	0
    GS	4.0	14	1	0	0	0	5	2	0
    GS	2.0	14	4	5	4	1	3	2	0
    GS	4.0	20	6	4	4	0	4	3	0
    GS	4.7	20	3	4	3	0	6	3	0
    GS	3.0	18	3	3	2	1	3	5	0
    GS	6.0	22	2	0	0	0	4	2	0
    GS	3.0	15	4	2	2	0	5	2	0
    GS	4.0	19	4	4	4	1	1	3	0
    GS	3.7	19	4	3	2	1	3	3	0
    GS	5.7	21	2	3	3	0	5	3	1
    GS	2.0	13	6	6	6	0	1	2	0
    GS	5.0	19	3	1	1	0	4	2	1
    R	2.7	11	3	1	1	0	4	0	1
    GS	4.0	18	3	1	0	0	6	2	0
    R	2.0	12	3	3	3	0	3	3	0
    GS	5.0	18	2	0	0	0	11	1	0
    R	2.0	13	3	4	4	0	3	4	0
    GS	5.0	21	6	2	2	0	4	2	0
    GS	5.0	17	3	0	0	0	6	0	1

Tot.	97.0	427	84	59	47	5	116	56	4

L5	19.0	81.0	17.0	9.0	9.0	0.0	27.0	10.0	1.0
    R	15.0	71	16	13	9	0	24	12	1
    GS	82.0	356	68	46	38	5	92	44	3
    Here are his ERA, K/9, K/BB for his last 5 appearances, relief apperearances and starts.

Code:
    	L5	R	GS						
    ERA	4.26	5.40	4.17						
    K/9	12.8	14.4	10.1						
    K/BB	2.70	2.00	2.09
    Hope that helps.

His starts over the past month have gotten stronger while his bullpen sessions have sucked.

WAGS

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    For some reason they only let him go 5 innings. They did say Obrien was in attendence.
    i know its a rule or something down in a ball that they can only throw like a max of 70 pitches and/or 5 max ip.

i could be wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I listened to the game when I was in Blue Ash (only place I seem to be able to get the Dayton AM station) they were quite impressed with Bailey.
    You can WING-AM that far south?

I barely get it where I am near Dayton....I hate it for OSU football games that are late.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I was at the game tonight. Bailey was very impressive. He threw fastballs consistantly around 94 to 95 MPH all night.

On the brink of disaster

I'm glad he has shown that he is a better starter than reliever. We really need him as a starter, especially if he can be as dominating as he was tonight. How exciting would it be to have a power starting pitcher in Cincinnati, especially a good one? It would be awsome to finally have a guy with the ability to strike out 10+ batters each time he takes the mound. I just don't like the pitch count limit in the minors, are we trying to bring up wusses or what? Let them loose, I'm not saying to let them go 140 pitches, but let them work on their stamina!

Good work rdiersin! I was shocked to see that he has only thrown 15 innings out of relief. His ERA is over a full run lower as a starter then out of relief... time to drop this tandem system.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    You can WING-AM that far south?

I barely get it where I am near Dayton....I hate it for OSU football games that are late.....
    Well some other station was also being heard on the same frequency but I was able to hear the baseball guys at least
    Go Gators!

Powell recommended Bailey for a promotion to Class AA next season. To that I say, heck no! Bailey should be in high A next season. Do not rush him, especially considering he hasn't exactly dominated the Midwest League.

Dragons' starter Bailey fires off another gem
    Dayton righty's stats not quite as shiny in his relief efforts
    By Marc Katz

mkatz@daytondailynews.com

DAYTON | Because of the two days off between games, the Dayton Dragons were able to start Homer Bailey on Thursday night against the Beloit Snappers.

Good idea.

The next time Bailey pitches, probably Monday, he'll be relegated to relief duty. Uh, oh.

Thursday night, Bailey was Oh, Wow — as he has been in recent starts — as the Dragons beat Beloit 6-3 in a Class A Midwest League game at Fifth Third Field.

In the parent Reds' system, Bailey gets only 75 pitches a start and every four days he gets 50 pitches in relief, although in the middle part of the season, the 19-year-old first-round pick from last summer's first-year player draft was mostly a starter.

Over his last five starts, he hardly could be better, including Thursday's five-shutout-innings, three-hit, no-walk, six-strikeout performance. His ERA dropped to 1.13 over those five games, with 31 strikeouts and only seven walks in 24 innings.

In the three games he pitched in relief, his ERA was a bloated 10.79 with 10 strikeouts and seven walks in 6 2/3 innings.

"It's just something I'm used to," Bailey said of starting. "I'm more comfortable. I've never really been a reliever."

Pitching coach Larry Pierson isn't surprised. Bailey was good in his other 15 starts this season, but not as consistent as he is now.

"He's developing," Pierson said. "Early on, he basically was overmatching hitters with his fastball. He's still doing that, and now he's throwing his curveball for strikes and his changeup. I feel comfortable recommending him for Class AA next year."

Dragons manager Alonzo Powell not only was happy with Bailey, but also with second baseman Trevor Lawhorn and designated hitter Bobby Mosby, too.

"I just told (visiting Reds General Manager Dan O'Brien) Lawhorn is probably one of the hottest hitters on the planet," Powell said. "And he's been doing it to all fields. Mosby has looked good since he came back from (hand) surgery."

Dayton scored four times in the second after Lawhorn doubled home two runs and Mosby bounced a long homer to left off the concession stand. During his last 10 games, Lawhorn is hitting .415 and has knocked in 14 runs.

The four-run lead was all Bailey needed, but the Dragons added two more in the fourth. Yes, Lawhorn and Mosby each singled in the inning, and the right-hander exited with his seventh victory.

Dragons tales

• Even though the season has more than a week to run, the league has announced its post-season All-Star team. The only Dragons' player to make it is first baseman Tonys Gutierrez. With a hit Thursday, Gutierrez raised his batting average to .324.

Gutierrez has also started to display a little more power. Seven of his 42 RBIs have come in the last 11 games. The team was chosen by the league managers.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...26dragons.html

Actually, Bailey should return to Dayton to match his age level though Sarasota is a pitchers league.

The only reason he should go to AA next year is because of Dan O'brien.

AA?

Oh to be Larry Pierson's bookie.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

O'Brien is pretty conservative with promotions, so I'd have to believe there's a 90% chance Baily is pitching in Sarasota to start 2006. But on the other hand, doesn't it seem odd that Pierson is making that comment on the same night O'Brien is in town? Of all the times to say something bold, I think having the general manager in town is probably the worst - unless there is some level of truth to back it up. I really hope this is just Pierson blowing smoke, because this organization can't afford to be wreckless with Bailey - there's simply too much at risk.

Turn Off Ads?