Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Strong outing by Homer Bailey tonight

Re: Strong outing by Homer Bailey tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    I know that. I apologize about Sheets. All those guys obviously weren't first round picks. I was just showing that for whatever reasons even in later rounds high school pitchers have higher ceilings than those that attend college. Because FCB said he'd never draft one, ever. I was talking about that 10-15% risk.
    The problem with the concept of "10-15% risk" is that I don't think the word "value" from the article lollipopcurve posted and the word "risk" are interchangable terms. I'm still waiting for a definition of "value" from that article, but it appears that I need to spend five bucks to get it (good grief, eh?).

The funny thing about the whole HS vs. College pitcher thing is that I don't have an issue with drafting a High School pitcher.

WHAT??? WHAT DID STEEL JUST SAY???????

Heh. There's a qualifier to the above statement of course. And that qualifier is "...IF the situation is right."

But I'll tell ya', if it's in the top 10 of Round One and the guy isn't absolutely the head-and-shoulders best pitcher in the draft, it's pretty much never right (I did a study on this one myself). But from the middle of round one on, hey go for it if it's the best talent and value pick available.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Strong outing by Homer Bailey tonight

Not to beat a dead horse here, I can see both sides of this argument. Do I think that Homer Bailey has had a good year, not particularly no. But I do think that his last three starts have been very promissing with a .93 WHIP, an ERA of 1.20, SO 21, and giving up 0 HR's. I hope this is a corner that he has turned and that next year he continues to improve (at Dayton still). And it is also promising that this improvement is coming late in the season it shows that he has some stamina.

Turn Off Ads?