Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Music Producer Disappears After Bizarre Phone Call

Music Producer Disappears After Bizarre Phone Call

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4888106/detail.html

LOS ANGELES -- Detectives in Topanga said they are searching for a missing music producer who called a friend early Sunday to say he was being chased by people with dogs.

Christian Julian Irwin, 48, was last seen near the 500 block of Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Authorities said the case has signs of foul play.

Irwin, a producer with three Grammy nominations, was chased from his house and through a ravine, according to police. Authorities said he lost his glasses and shoes in a nearby creek.

Sheriff's K9s picked up the scent and searched up and down the creek for two miles, but found only his glasses.

"He really felt like he was running for his life," said John Riolo, Irwin's brother-in-law. "And, if he felt like he was running for his life, he probably was."

Capt. Ray Peavy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said Irwin told the friend he was running through water and being chased.

Irwin has been nominated for three Grammy awards. He produced for Queen Latifah, De La Sol, Carly Simon, David Bowie and Vanessa Williams.

Family members gathered at his home Tuesday night. They said he was recently involved in a Nigerian Internet offering.

"He did receive a check in the mail last week for $50,000," said Sharon Riolo, Irwin's sister. "That frightened him. All of the sudden it became a little bit scary."

Authorities said Irwin returned the check.

Irwin was described as 6 feet 2 inches, 190 pounds, brown and gray hair, blue eyes and was last seen wearing a blue and red shirt, blue jeans and no shoes.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Sheriff's Homicide Bureau, Missing Persons Detail at (323) 890-5500.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Re: Music Producer Disappears After Bizarre Phone Call

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4888106/detail.html

Family members gathered at his home Tuesday night. They said he was recently involved in a Nigerian Internet offering.

"He did receive a check in the mail last week for $50,000," said Sharon Riolo, Irwin's sister. "That frightened him. All of the sudden it became a little bit scary."

Authorities said Irwin returned the check.
    I think this is the most bizarre part of the article

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    I think this is the most bizarre part of the article
    Yeah, because everyone knows you never get money from those guys, they only take money from you.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

There have been cases of people traveling to Nigeria after receiving those e-mails and being murdered, although that is probably a minority of what happens in those cases. Regardless, everyone of them that I have received I have forwarded on to the feds, as they have a specific team set aside to investigate all of these Nigerian e-mails.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    There have been cases of people traveling to Nigeria after receiving those e-mails and being murdered, although that is probably a minority of what happens in those cases. Regardless, everyone of them that I have received I have forwarded on to the feds, as they have a specific team set aside to investigate all of these Nigerian e-mails.
    hah, I usually reply to them and get them going. It's quite fun, so long as you use an anonymous email address and never give out real information.

One time, I kept implying to the scammer that I was going to follow through with the transaction, but I kept signing every email with the following address line:

D. Kenneth Anderson
    Senior Director
    Federal Bureau of Investigations,
    Internet Fraud Division
    J. Edgar Hoover Federal Building
    Washington, DC 20005

The guy never caught on, he just kept calling me "D. Kenneth". I wish I had saved the emails, they were hilarious.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Wow...strange story.

I Haved responded too those e mails to but no one ever writes me back...wait I hear dogs barking!!!!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Seems like this could end up like the runaway bride case. Mr. Irwin will likely get to spend a few days picking up trash alongside the freeways of the Golden State, along with writing a big check to cover the cost of the search.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?