Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina strengthening in the Gulf

Re: Hurricane Katrina strengthening in the Gulf

It's supposed to be over New Orleans about 1pm on Monday. And it's only up to my boss because I volunteered to be on the remote team. For this and every other disaster that might occur.

If I weren't evacuating with the company, I would have left this morning, but only because it's Saturday and I could beat the traffic. Tomorrow morning is plenty of time, especially since I won't have to drive myself.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Evacuate to Houston. Isn't that where the Reds play next?

I guess I have it in my head that it would hit land fall tomorrow morning, instead of Monday.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    I normally don't day trade but I am going to buy about $5,000 in oil stocks on Monday morning. It should be worth about $6,500 by the end of the week.
    Go ahead and do it. You'll lose being there is an actuall oil glut in this country. But if your happy trying to making money on the misery of others and buying in at the peak, go for it.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

SandyD, when you leave tomorrow and you have no place to go, well you have met me before, so you know me, you are more than welcomed to stay here, I have plenty of room. Whats it, about two and a half drive here to Jackson? If I remember right you do have kin in Mississippi though. I called my best frind in Covington, by the lake, she said they are sticking it out and her folks also who live in Houma. Pm me for my phone # if I can help, I mean that. I think we may get some of that storm here in Jackson per the weather channel, but it will be mostly wind and rain, should know by Monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Go ahead and do it. You'll lose being there is an actuall oil glut in this country. But if your happy trying to making money on the misery of others and buying in at the peak, go for it.
    That was Brit Hume's first thought after the London Bombings. He was wondering how much money he can make in the future market.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    SandyD, when you leave tomorrow and you have no place to go, well you have met me before, so you know me, you are more than welcomed to stay here, I have plenty of room. Whats it, about two and a half drive here to Jackson? If I remember right you do have kin in Mississippi though. I called my best frind in Covington, by the lake, she said they are sticking it out and her folks also who live in Houma. Pm me for my phone # if I can help, I mean that. I think we may get some of that storm here in Jackson per the weather channel, but it will be mostly wind and rain, should know by Monday morning.
    CNN displayed a graph of how long it would take to drive from New Orleans to different cities in evacuation traffic... showed NO to Jackson, Mississippi as a 24-hour drive.

NO to Shreveport was 20 hours, I believe.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-28-2005 at 12:06 AM.

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

24 hours? Wow, I am not going to get on I-55 tonight for sure, think I will just sit here at home, yeah even though Hooters is on I-55.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    So with that same logic, I should sell My Home Depot stock monday morning, so I don't make any revenues, right? ( It usually goes up after a hurricane.)

What's the difference in buying gas for your car sunday night to save money and buying oil monday morning to make money? Saving money is the same as making money. If you can save 5 bucks in filling up your car Sunday night, you have made 5 bucks! You have also capitalized on the situation as well.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    CNN displayed a graph of how long it would take to drive from New Orleans to different cities in evacuation traffic... showed NO to Jackson, Mississippi as a 24-hour drive.

NO to Shreveport was 20 hours, I believe.
    That's a bit exaggerated. And they're directing people away from Jackson ... encouraging people to travel west.

Traffic seems to be pretty heavy to Baton Rouge, but reports I've heard are that it's not that bad once you get past BR. So I'd guess Houston or Shreveport would be about 9-10 hours right now. It'll be worse tomorrow, though.

Cat 4 storm now. Winds clocked at 145 mph sustained. And headed over very warm water.

This reminds me so much of Camille it's scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    They're talking about 18 ft of water in Slidell and Mandeville. Covington is farther from the lake, though. Tell them to take care, and be sure to get her folks out of Houma. I'm still hoping for an easterly jog, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

I'm headed to Texas tomorrow. Thanks for the offer tho. My uncle in Jackson passed away a couple of years ago, so I no longer have relatives there. I do have relatives in Dallas and Houston, but I'm travelling to Arlington.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    Cat 4 storm now. Winds clocked at 145 mph sustained. And headed over very warm water.

This reminds me so much of Camille it's scary.
    Wow! This thing is huge. It could potentially reach Cat 5 soon. They are now saying this could be the strongest storm ever in the Gulf.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?...ectID=10342816
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-28-2005 at 02:35 AM.

"So Fla Red"

Wow, this thing is headed to catg 5 and right straight at New Orleans as the most likely path.

Everyone in New Orleans (including my cousin and his family) and the N Gulf Coast best of luck and get the heck out of there now...

908 mb 160mph winds ... we can only hope this thing weakens before landfall, tho not sure if there's anything to cause that.

They're recommending the evacuation of the entire southern third of Louisiana ... including Cameron Parish, which is by the Texas border. Alabama and Mississippi Gulf Coasts as well.

Already a Cat 5 per the Today Show.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?