Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Administration Cut Funding to help New Orleans with hurricanes/flooding

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Bush Administration Cut Funding to help New Orleans with hurricanes/flooding

This was written in June- I like the line about how money wasn't a problem when good old Bob Livingston was in town.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...6/ai_n14657367

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bush Administration Cut Funding to help New Orleans with hurricanes/flooding

Party favoring or desperate cuts due to recent overseas military spending and huge federal deficits?

Neither would suprise me and both reasons are just sad and depressing to think about as usual with this administration.

Re: Bush Administration Cut Funding to help New Orleans with hurricanes/flooding

That's actually supported by me.

Not to sound cruel/evil, but the people living there know the risks associated with living in a tropical area that's largely under sea level. Spending OUR tax dollars to help these people when the inevitable disasters do occur isn't exactly something I agree with.
    Last edited by redsrule2500; 08-30-2005 at 01:30 AM.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500

Not to sound cruel/evil, but the people living there know the risks associated with living in a tropical area that's largely under sea level. Spending OUR tax dollars to help these people when the inevitable disasters do occur isn't exactly something I agree with.
    Your cruelty aside, the article wasn't about FEMA after-the-fact help but spending money to prevent or ameliorate the effects of a natural disaster.
    Last edited by Rojo; 08-30-2005 at 03:29 PM.

For a Level Playing Field

Thank you for being honest and truthful.

Actually, New Orleans was and still is a strategic site for defense of the United States. Without New Orleans this country may of never been as successful as it is today. It's not only about the people who choose to live there, it's also about the ECONOMY of the United States. But I guess a tax cut in time of war was more necessary.

Spending OUR tax dollars to help these people when the inevitable disasters do occur isn't exactly something I agree with.
    We'll all be paying for it via higher insurance premiums. Since we all pay taxes anyway, it would be nice to use some of those dollars as a cushion to soften the extra blow to our pocketbooks.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Not to sound cruel/evil, but the people living there know the risks associated with living in a tropical area that's largely under sea level.
    We'll all remember that when the Ohio River floods next time... it's happened before. You have been warned.

Having actually lived through a disaster of NATURAL causes and seeing the trouble it caused and the strife it brings to life post disaster all I can say is I hope you, and your "let them eat cake" attitude never has to face off with one.

They suck.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    We'll all remember that when the Ohio River floods next time... it's happened before. You have been warned.

Having actually lived through a disaster of NATURAL causes and seeing the trouble it caused and the strife it brings to life post disaster all I can say is I hope you, and your "let them eat cake" attitude never has to face off with one.

They suck.
    Yeah, let see what happens if New Orleans was destroyed and the Mississippi River was blocked by debris with heavy rains from what's left of the Hurricane pouring down on the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    We'll all remember that when the Ohio River floods next time... it's happened before.
    ..... or the next blizzard, earthquake, flood or tornado.

RR2500 ..... good luck finding that happy place in the world where nothing bad can ever touch you or yours.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Politics are a convenient excuse, except that New Orleans and Louisiana are not the only places receiving fewer Federal dollars in this region. As one of my state's US Senators is fond of pointing out, the Base Closure commission is recommending the closure of all US naval bases on the Gulf Coast. That one can't be blamed on politics, as there are more red states than blue along the gulf these days.

New Orleans has long been a disaster waiting to happen because of geography. That'll be tough and expensive to fix, but this disaster will make preventive measures an easier sell in Congress.
    /r/reds

Can we at least acknowledge that there have been multi million dollar home construction going on in high risk areas using the Fed Funds safety net for de facto insurance, so the powers that be start to develop the attitude "when do we start cutting off our spoiled children?" For example, that has been an issue of concern in Florida with the expensive homes being built on the coast, getting washed away, then rebuilding with Fed $.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Time for the City of New Orleans and State to use their Immenent Domain laws for the betterment of the public as a whole.

As someone who lived in New Orleans for three years and now lives on the Gulf of Mexico in Panama City I am speechless. I don't even know how to respond to this.

I guess, according to you, people in NYC know the risks of potential terrorist attacks (they being the obvious past and future target), nay inevitable future terrorist attacks, and should get no funding from tax dollars for prevention cause hey, they know the risks.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

That's incredibly myopic.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?