Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Hotel Chain or Type

Favorite Hotel Chain or Type

Here's a weird one. When you travel, what chain or type of hotels do you like to stay in?

Personally, I enjoy the "business travel" type hotels such as Holliday Inn Express. Simple, geared towards business travel, free internet, breakfast of sorts, sometimes happy hour receptions.

I also enjoy the upscale "fancy" hotels such as the Hyatts and Crowne Plaza hotels found in most cities. Beds are much softer, rooms have the same stuff but in much better condition, better service, etc.

My two all-time favorite hotels are the Crown Plaza-Union Station in Indy and the Pfister in Milwaukee.

Anyway, do you like chains, dumps, motor-inns, bed and breakfasts, or what?
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-13-2006 at 08:10 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favorite Hotel Chain

Obviously I'm a bit biased but Marriott lets me stay where ever I want and location sometimes dictates other hotel chains:

Upper tier: W Hotels, JW Marriott

Full service: Marriott, Westin, some Sheratons, some Hyatts

Extended stay: Residence Inn, Summerfield Suites

Business: Courtyard, Four Points

Time share: Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton/Westin Vacation Ownership, Hyatt Vacation Ownership

Personal favorites to stay in the areas I cover: Highlands Inn, Carmel CA, JW Marriott Desert Ridge, Scottsdale, AZ, Westin, Palo Alto, CA, Renaissance, Walnut Creek, CA, W, San Diego, CA, W, Silicon Valley, CA, Marriott, San Jose, CA.

The reason that I mention the various time share properties is that you can often get some very good off-season rates if business calls for you to travel to that location. For instance, this summer you could have gotten a 2BR, 2 BA, full kitchen 1300 sq. ft. villa at Marriott's Shadow Ridge for about $179.00 per night. Yeah, it's hot but if business calls....and every villa has a golf course view and you have access to a Nick Faldo designed course (36 holes), Shadow Ridge, along with the Nick Faldo Institute on property. Many of the various time share properties are like this so, if you have to travel to an area in the off-season, check the various chains' websites for their time share properties. Sometimes you can get an exceptional deal.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 12-13-2006 at 08:25 PM.

Re: Favorite Hotel Chain or Type

in cincy, i'm a hyatt guy, but it really depends upon the city as to where i'll stay...even the big chains don't have the consistancy that you should expect regarding cleanliness...

I generally use Hotwire to see if I can't snag something three stars and up for a good price. I've been able to get good deals staying at Crowne Plazas, Westins, Hiltons, the Hyatt and the Millenium in Cincinnati. I used to love Courtyards when you could book a room for $57 a night, but now it seems like you can't stay there for less that $149 anymore. I've found that quality at some national chains, like Holiday Inn and Marriott can vary from location to location. The La Quinta I stayed at in Tampa was nice. I will not stay in an Econolodge (Stay at the one in Newport, KY and you'll know why), Motel 6 or Super 8.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Why, Red Roof Inn, of course. I mean, how low can you go? Those deals are hot! And of course, there's Multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

When the Government/Taxpayer is picking up the tab, I usually look for a Hampton Inn, Residence Inn, Hawthorne Suite, Homewood Suite. I get a fridge, microwave, etc. Also, I like the free hot breakfast and the manager's reception in the late afternoon. Also, the best breakfast is the Embassy Suites, where they cook omelets/eggs to order. Tip: Join each of the hotel rewards club and they sometimes provide a little extra.

Or the Newport Travelodge if I only need the room for 20-50 minutes.

You're right RBA. Always join each chain's 'club'. A lot of times even a small amount of points will get you a free upgrade, movie, dessert with dinner, etc. Recently, I've been thinking of a trip to Australia 'cause I have enough points with Starwood to cover 15 days free----and I work for Marriott!

Rem

I usually will stay where ever I can get the cheapest room because it's usually friends and I on road trips. However, when traveling with family we usually stay at Microtels. They are usually among the cheapest and most of the hotels are new and well kept. Best deal for the money. When I've been able to travel on someone else's budget I'll usually stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Usually a reasonable room and a step up from the cheaper chains.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Also, the best breakfast is the Embassy Suites, where they cook omelets/eggs to order.
    I support this 100%. I was doing some volunteer work in Indianapolis last month and got put up at the Embassy Suite. Unbelievable, the breakfast was the best free breakfast I've ever had. They had the omletes along with tons of different hot buffet options.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Hobo camps are handy if not comfortable.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    When the Government/Taxpayer is picking up the tab, I usually look for a Hampton Inn, Residence Inn, Hawthorne Suite, Homewood Suite. I get a fridge, microwave, etc. Also, I like the free hot breakfast and the manager's reception in the late afternoon. Also, the best breakfast is the Embassy Suites, where they cook omelets/eggs to order. Tip: Join each of the hotel rewards club and they sometimes provide a little extra.
    Ever tried Amerisuites? I stayed at one outside of Washington DC and the breakfast was great.

Hampton Inn is probably my personal preference on vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I stay about 30 nights per year at various Hampton Inn properties. For the money, they cannot be beat with their 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Being a military member, my family and I love staying at Shades of Green resort on Walt Disney World. With me being an E-5, it only costs us $76 per night to stay there and this place is a resort easily as comparable to Disney's high dollar resorts.

When vacationing with the family, we've had good luck with Hampton Inns as well.

Business travel, I do Marriotts (Courtyard Inn, Residence Inn, regular Marriotts), Crowne Plaza, and Embassy Suites. I put on 5 lbs. my last stay at an Embassy Suites from the breakfasts.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?