Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apologies due to Aurilia

Apologies due to Aurilia

Isn't it time some posters on this board admitted how wrong they were about Rich Aurilia in the Spring? I mean the guy was absolutely savaged here, one guy referring to him as "The sewage that is Rich Aurilia" or some such ugliness.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but Aurilia's been excellent since around June, when he finally got on track. Aurilia's contributions to the Reds second half rebound have been huge. His double in the 9th inning with 2 outs won the game for Cincy last night.

It would just be good to hear an apology.

Edit

I should have mentioned in my original post that I, myself, took a shot or two at Aurilia when he was struggling.

So I apologize, Mr. Aurilia !!

Edit No. 2

My post, way back when <<....if Miley sits Lopez to give Aurilia his starting job back, I'm gonna go postal. A child could see that Felipe Lopez is a star in the making. We don't need no stinkin' Rich Aurilia!>>

Actually, my shot at Aurilia wasn't as bad as I feared it might've been after my self-righteous post of this morning. I STILL would go postal if Felipe Lopez was benched in favor of Aurilia. (and Lopez continues to look like a star in the making).
    Last edited by Maldez; 08-28-2005 at 05:51 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Apologies due to Aurilia

Aurilia has played much better than I expected.
    I still don't like Aurilia.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez
    Isn't it time some posters on this board admitted how wrong they were about Rich Aurilia in the Spring?
    Getting some people on here to admit they were wrong about Rich Aurilia? There is a better chance of the Reds overtaking the Cards for the division title.

I was one of the few Aurilia defenders in April and May and took plenty of hits for that...even lost a few rep points. It's nice to see what he's doing now.

I will gladly admit I was wrong about Aurilia. I attacked him like no other Red I've criticized on this board. He looked bad early on, and I didn't like the stuff he was saying. Now -- I think he and Griffey are cases in point that it takes guys who have been injured some time to get their swings back. I think Aurilia knew he had to get regular at bats in order to hit well, and that has turned out to be true.
    I'm happy to eat crow here -- the guy is a better ballplayer than I thought he was. He's stinging it like a kamikaze fire ant.
    Good sign by O'Brien.

Right on, Maldez. Aurelia is a pro. He's a seasoned pro, and he knows how to lobby for playing time. Being that he's verbal about his situation, and insistent on his skills, he has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Not just poster, but sports talk hosts and even probably Miley.
    He's helped the Reds win games, and I've never understood the antipathy toward him.

No one was really wrong about Aurilia, honestly. Go read the thread when he was signed. Not that many people hated the signing. IIRC, most people didn't mind the signing as long as he was used in the proper role.

What people objected to was Aurilia continuing to play EVERY DAY when he was one of the worst everyday players in the league, meanwhile Felipe Lopez sat wasting away on the bench. Had Aurilia not got hurt, Lopez might not have ever gotten the chance to play every day. So if we're being honest here, those people who objected to Aurilia's role as an everyday player were actually proven right.

Yes, he improved his performance and has played well in the second half, but that doesn't change the fact that he best served this team as a fill in starter and utility player. That's the only objection people had. When Freel was healthy, he should have been playing 2B. FeLo should have been the everyday SS from opening day on.

Calling for an appology is a little moledramatic, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Aurilia is a pro? Does a pro cry to the manager and to the media when he's not in the starting lineup? Quoting Condi Rice on someone else, "We just don't like him."

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Calling for an appology is a little moledramatic, IMO.
    No it isn't. You owe him an apology for your misdirected anger. What is he supposed to say, "No skip, take me out of the line-up today, I don't deserve to start"?

You should have been railing against management for continuing to pencil him in everday!
    "There have been only two geniuses in the world, Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare." Tallulah Bankhead

Isn't it time some posters on this board admitted how wrong they were about Rich Aurilia in the Spring? I mean the guy was absolutely savaged here, one guy referring to him as "The sewage that is Rich Aurilia" or some such ugliness.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but Aurilia's been excellent since around June, when he finally got on track. Aurilia's contributions to the Reds second half rebound have been huge. His double in the 9th inning with 2 outs won the game for Cincy last night.

It would just be good to hear an apology.
    Dear Rich,

I'm sorry you're such a jerk.

Maybe if you weren't you'd be somewhere else right now. Somewhere where you wouldn't be starting, because nobody wants a statue in the field who hasn't OPS'd above .735 for a whole season since 2001. Sorry you don't like Cincinnati. It's too bad because a lot of folks there seem to have accepted you and you are OPS'ing .972 at home. If you want out so bad why is it that you are OPS'ing .595 on the road? Not very "gamer" like if you ask me.

Anyway, have fun in Japan next year. Maybe they'll let you start there.

XOXO

Pedro
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaRed
    You should have been railing against management for continuing to pencil him in everday!
    Uh, that's exactly where my anger was directed all along.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Dear Rich,

You are a mini me to Dante Bichette, you came, you stunk, you got better.

Like him you soon will take your act elsewhere, say hi to Mike Lansing to me.

Love

WOY

PS

You are no longer a MLB SS, I thought you might like to know.

On the brink of disaster

Well, here are the facts about Aurillia, he played horrible at the beginning of the season which most of us were angry that he still continued to play. After his stint on the DL, he began to play very well, in fact, he became one of the best hitters on the team in pressure situations and has continued to do so. Along the way though, he has said some things that haven't helped his perception to the ones, me included, who really didn't think he was a good fit here in Cincy. He hasn't just been complained about because of his play early on in the season. His comments during the season have made him look like a whiner, cry baby, or however you want to say it. I will agree that he was a decent signing as far as money and the numbers go, but he has also slowed the development of the middle infielders in the farm system. Rey Olmedo and William Bergolla have both had stints up here while Ryan Freel or RA have been down with injuries, but they have not had an extended amount of playing time that they need to prove themselves worthy or not. We have to start finding a 2B that will play along side of Lopez on a daily basis for the future of our team, we can't rely on these 1 year rent-a-players.

Here's a quote from Maldez a couple months back. I thought it might add something to this thread:

I've been sort of a fence-sitter when it comes to Dave Miley, but I'll tell you this - - if Miley sits Lopez to give Aurilia his starting job back, I'm gonna go postal. A child could see that Felipe Lopez is a star in the making. We don't need no stinkin' Rich Aurilia!

Here's a quote from Maldez a couple months back. I thought it might add something to this thread:
    Here's his shoes.

Hmmmm, maybe he should call for himself to apologize to himself.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?