Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All of Columbus rejoices

All of Columbus rejoices

Broncos to release Maurice Clarett

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Maurice Clarett's gamble for the big dollars in the NFL failed for a second time. The Denver Broncos informed Clarett on Sunday that he is being released.

Mike Shanahan surprised the league by using a third-round draft choice on the former Ohio State running back in the final selection of the round. The Broncos coach thought he had the cutback style of running that fit in one of the league's best running systems.

As it turned out, Shanahan made a mistake and didn't want to waste time admitting it. With Tuesday's deadline for cutting the roster to 65 looming, Clarett, who never made the field in three preseason games, was let go.

Clarett first gambled that he could beat the NFL in court after applying despite not being three years out of high school. The case failed and Clarett had to sit out and wait until the 2005 season to get his chance to turn pro.

Clarett's second gamble was on his contract. He felt he was a first-round choice and wanted a contract similar to what a first-rounder would receive. To accomplish that, he tried to do get that contract with incentives. The four-year deal he pushed for included no signing bonus.

The Broncos were willing to give him a $410,000 signing bonus, but Clarett opted to push that money into workout bonuses in 2006 through 2008. Clarett agreed to only a $230,000 base salary in 2005. If he put up good numbers, Clarett had the opportunity to make $7 million over the four years of his contract.

By releasing him, the Broncos won't take any cap hit. It also appears unlikely that they would sign him to their practice squad although that remains an option if Shanahan is interested.

For the moment, the Broncos are three deep in halfbacks. Mike Anderson is expected to be the opening day starter. Tatum Bell should be the backup, and Shanahan likes what he sees from former Giants No. 1 pick Ron Dayne.

Despite his failure in Denver, Clarett should receive some interest from other teams although it is likely teams may not want to claim his four-year contract. There is a 24-hour waiver claim period that begins Monday when he goes on the league waiver wire. If he is cleared by Tuesday at 4 p.m., Clarett is eligible to sign with any team in the league.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: All of Columbus rejoices

Jeez, what a loser. Can't say I feel one iota of pity for this guy.

How many chances is this guy going to screw up? I'm kind of surprised he didn't work harded to make it for the Broncos. Surely by now he sees that football is his only chance to make decent money in this life. What's he going to do for paychecks if the NFL snubs him?

What I wouldn't give for a chance to forgo a real job and make a killing playing a game. What a waste...

It was a stupid pick for the Broncos. It's not wise to waste 3rd round picks.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Shame on the Broncos for wasting a third round pick on this waste - not just on his untested football skills but also on his pitiful attitude.

Maurice Clarett thought he was entitled to the same kinds of money and recognition as his buddy Lebron James. Think again Mo.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Ahh. Poor guy.

rumor has it, Maurice will be signing with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays as sort of a package deal with Danny Graves, where both will sit on the bench, pointing out why the teams which released them are completely at fault.

oh. wait. wrong sport. sorry.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

thus ends the saga of one of college footballs most overrated and overhyped player in recent memory

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    thus ends the saga of one of college footballs most overrated and overhyped player in recent memory
    Unfortunately, I don't believe for a second we have seen the last of this spoiled malcontent.

Maybe he can go and play in either the CFL or the AFL. At least he will be able to put food on his table in those leagues - he's got no other marketable skills whatsoever to be a productive member of society.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Sadly, I wonder how long it will be until he shows back up on the police blotter.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I will disagree with "overrated" and am just a wee bit concerned that "overhyped" might be a dig at Ohio State.

If he had stayed in college, trained and practiced hard, kept his mouth shut and scrupulously followed NCAA rules, Mo could have racked up some impressive yardage behind an always-talented Buckeye O-line.

All this release proves is that sitting at home and in lawyer's offices for over a year is no way to prepare for an NFL career. After stiff-arming most of the NFL combines and flopping so miserably in Denver, I think it's a safe bet that Clarett will never set foot on a full-size football field on a Sunday again–at least not in this country. Hopefully, he hasn't spent his signing bonus.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 08-29-2005 at 12:31 AM.
    /r/reds

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I will disagree with "overrated" and am just a wee bit concerned that "overhyped" might be a dig at Ohio State.

If he had stayed in college, trained and practiced hard, kept his mouth shut and scrupulously followed NCAA rules, Mo could have racked up some impressive yardage behind an always-talented Buckeye O-line.

All this release proves is that sitting at home and in lawyer's offices for over a year is no way to prepare for an NFL career. After stiff-arming most of the NFL combines and flopping so miserably in Denver, I think it's a safe bet that Clarett will never set foot on a full-size football field on a Sunday again–at least not in this country. Hopefully, he hasn't spent his signing bonus.
    Eh - he had three quarters of a good season that were cut short because he was frail. I'm not convinced that wouldn't have continued if he would have kept his nose clean. We would have heard the uber hype with him every year, while he played 6-7 games putting up above average numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted

Umm, he didn't get a signing bonus.

I'm sure he'll hang around by name alone and novelty factor and work his way down the pro football food chain, CFL, Europe, arena, pee wee, prison yard, etc.

He just screwed it all up. The OSU football machine was ready to assimilate him, elevate him, make him the featured star, Archie/Eddie/etc. Heisman, blah blah. All he had to do was play the game (and I don't mean football). He made a mess of it all.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?