Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graves DFA might retire!!!!!!

Graves DFA might retire!!!!!!

Saw this on sportsline just now:

"Steve Trachsel is back and Danny Graves may be gone for good, says the New York Daily News. Trachsel will come off the DL to start Friday night in San Francisco, and Graves - who was designated for assignment to make room, is considering retirement. "
    Last edited by redsfan4445; 08-24-2005 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Graves DFA might retire!!!!!!

He takes alot of crap around here, but this is really sad.

I would never openly root for a players career to just completely tear apart and that's what Danny's has done.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    He takes alot of crap around here, but this is really sad.

I would never openly root for a players career to just completely tear apart and that's what Danny's has done.
    It didn't tear apart, it had the natural rise and fall of a pitcher, the illusion of it tearing apart is based on the fact that so many dollars and hopes were tied up in the guy. Most of based on surface evaluations and not numbers.

I thought they straightened him out when he found out he was tipping his pitches.

I guess not, maybe he just sucks.

Big question--if he retires or does not play, do the Reds owe him the mil. or so left on his contract this year?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    Big question--if he retires or does not play, do the Reds owe him the mil. or so left on his contract this year?
    Good question. I would guess that maybe the Reds would owe him but the Mets wouldn't. But if he actually retires I doubt he'd do it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Danny who?

Oh yeah, that short little pudge that couldn't get guys out the last two years of his career.

I almost forgot about him.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

BOOOOOOO DANNY GRAVES!!!!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by IBCK40
    Saw this on sportsline just now:

"Steve Trachsel is back and Danny Graves may be gone for good, says the New York Daily News. Trachsel will come off the DL to start Friday night in San Francisco, and Graves - who was designated for assignment to make room, is considering retirement. "
    If I'm Danny Graves I don't retire. I hire myself the best personal trainer there is and I work like an animal to get back into shape. I don't pick up a baseball for at least 4 months. I stay away from tatoo parlors and Krispy Kremes. I work like crazy to get into shape to the point that they don't recognize me in March. I sign whatever minor league deal I can get and then I let it fly. If after all that I don't make it then fine. At least I'll be remembered like that rather than this dismal 2005 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    If I'm Danny Graves I don't retire. I hire myself the best personal trainer there is and I work like an animal to get back into shape. I don't pick up a baseball for at least 4 months. I stay away from tatoo parlors and Krispy Kremes. I work like crazy to get into shape to the point that they don't recognize me in March. I sign whatever minor league deal I can get and then I let it fly. If after all that I don't make it then fine. At least I'll be remembered like that rather than this dismal 2005 season.
    And then I call up Gene Garber and Mike Marshall and ask.., "How?"

There is the matter of that $500,000 option on the $5 million extension the Mets granted for next year to lure him away form the Marlins. I'm guessing he is not about to do anything to endanger receiving that $500,000.

So if no trade is consumated or nobody claims him on release waivers, he just sits tight and collects his money. At some point after the last check is in the mail, he can announce his retirement if he wishes. Otherwise if there is a trade or a claim, he will report and do what they ask for the next 5 weeks to assure he receives all the money in the contract(s). Then if he feels finished, he announces his retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse

If your retire, you quit. The Reds would owe him nothing. Just if a manager signed a five year contract, and quit after 3.

If another team picked him up, and placed him on there 40 man roster, the Reds would have to pay him, even if he were in the minors. Graves has to much pride to do this, he knows he has enough money.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    If your retire, you quit. The Reds would owe him nothing. Just if a manager signed a five year contract, and quit after 3.

If another team picked him up, and placed him on there 40 man roster, the Reds would have to pay him, even if he were in the minors. Graves has to much pride to do this, he knows he has enough money.
    Nope, the Reds released Graves and are on the hook for his contract for the rest of the season.

Graves is the Terry Felton of relief pitchers.

When I posted this, I assumed he would retire at the end of the season. If this is the case, then I am right.

Turn Off Ads?