Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schwarzenegger's Approval Rating at 36 Percent

Schwarzenegger's Approval Rating at 36 Percent

SAN FRANCISCO (Sept. 2) - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's approval rating is still in the doldrums, with the majority of Californians not content with how he's doing his job, according to a poll released Friday.

As of late August, 36 percent of registered voters approved of the former movie star's performance as governor, while 52 percent disapproved, with 12 percent having no opinion, the nonpartisan Field Poll reported.

The newest figures are similar to the approval rating in a Field poll two months ago. But they are down sharply since February, when 55 percent approved of the job he was doing.

Respondents cited Schwarzenegger's call for a November special election as a major factor influencing their opinion. He is promoting ballot initiatives to cap state spending, redraw legislative districts and lengthen the probationary term for teachers.

Fifty-seven percent opposed the Austrian-born governor's call for the election. Disapproval rose to 63 percent when respondents were told how much the special election would cost - more than $50 million (euro40 million).

The telephone poll surveyed 1,301 California adults, including 891 registered voters, on Aug. 19-29. It had a margin of sampling error of 3.5 percentage points.

Schwarzenegger campaign strategist Todd Harris disagreed with some of the poll's findings, saying he had seen several private surveys in the past week that showed rising support for the governor and his initiatives.

Harris also pointed to Field Poll results showing broad dissatisfaction with state government. Only 27 percent approved of the Legislature's performance, while twice as many - 54 percent - disapproved.

"Californians are not happy with the way things are in Sacramento, which bodes well for whichever side is campaigning for change," Harris said. "Given the political environment, I would not want my campaign message to be, 'Let's leave things exactly the way they are,' which is what our opponents' message will to be."

09/02/05 09:39 EDT

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Schwarzenegger's Approval Rating at 36 Percent

I lived in California for 20 years, I can't remember once when the Gov had a 50% approval rating.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Californians finally got around to seeing Last Action Hero.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I can't believe this is even news.

Yep, California, this is what you get when you elect a juiced-up former action star/bodybuilder to be your governor.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Yep, California, this is what you get when you elect a juiced-up former action star/bodybuilder to be your governor.
    Two States.. We want Two States.... North and South...Two States.

What do they want to call it again? Jefferson or Jackson or something?

I remember driving down from So. Oregon into No California and seeing signs to that effect.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I lived in California for 20 years, I can't remember once when the Gov had a 50% approval rating.
    Actually, it happens quite a bit, but it's usually at the beginning of their term.

However, you have an excellent point because despite Schwarzenegger's dismal numbers, he is still only the fourth least popular governor since approval ratings were recorded. Gray Davis, Pat Brown, and Pete Wilson being the least approved (in that order).

Reagan, Jerry Brown, and George Deukmejian were at the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    What do they want to call it again? Jefferson or Jackson or something?

I remember driving down from So. Oregon into No California and seeing signs to that effect.
    That's Jefferson, I'm going there in a couple of weeks.

My take would be split that puppy in two, San Diego to Sal Luis Opispo to Oregon. If the southern oregon folks want to grab Reading up go for it... that would help seperate the rural interests 300 miles away from being effected by the Metro areas needs and vice versa.

However Jefferson would have not one major airport or city.

After witnessing the mess in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Alabama; Arnold needs to call a state of emergency and get his guard troops back from Iraq and defend California's borders and prepare for the big one.

The Governator calls a special election in Cali and the Dems don't try to attach a recall to it? Amateurs.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Yep, cause California and Minnesota are soooo similar. Kinda hard to bash those 'left coast wackos' for electing the Governator when conservative middle of america Minnesota put a 'juiced-up former wrassler/action hero' in the governor's mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    Yep, cause California and Minnesota are soooo similar.
    They look EXACTLY the same. I've seen it on Little House on the Prairie.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I've heard that one can look California while feeling Minnesota.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

They are so similar that Minnesota is the land of a Thousand Lakes and California has the Lakers.

And Mary Tyler Moore.

Turn Off Ads?