Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices Skyrocket

Gas Prices Skyrocket

Figured I would give this its own thread, but gas here in Vienna is up to 3+ a gallon. Some places havent raised, and people are backed up. Thank God I got mine at Speedway last night before the prices raised.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Gas Prices Skyrocket

I wonder...

What percentage increase in gasoline prices were seen in 1969 after Hurricane Camille?

Sure perhaps demand in its relevance to supply is different today. But still...

And why are gasoline prices in WV over $3.00/galllon today while here in the Dayton, OH area they are at $2.59/gallon (unchanged from yesterday)?

Just makes me wonder. Hate to see fuel companies look like those looters that have been seen after this storm. To profit (or make a greater profit) from a tragedy is about as low as you can go in my book.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Posted this in the hurricane thread, but it's more relevant here. A gas station owner here said in a radio interview this morning that he would be raising the price to $3.25/gallon today to match the wholesale price increase he is seeing.
    /r/reds

In the Dayton area pretty much every station is now $3.09 for regular unleaded.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    In the Dayton area pretty much every station is now $3.09 for regular unleaded.
    Holy... good thing I filled up this morning at $2.59/gallon!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

This is unbelievable...

I've long since passed the point of caring WHY gsa is so expensive and moved into exasperation that the might and power of the United States cannot do SOMETHING to make this situation better.

Republicans and democrats alike should be outraged with the indifference their government has shown to the plight of average people who depend on their cars for their livelihoods.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/31/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Experts: $4 a gallon gas coming soon
    Pricing analysts say consumers can expect even higher prices at the pump.
    August 31, 2005: 12:46 PM EDT
    By Grace Wong, CNN/Money staff writer

Special Report full coverage

Oil retreats under $70

$4 gasoline coming

White House to tap reserves

Gas gripes: readers speak up

Save on Gas with Poptechnology
    Valid only in KY, IN, IL, MI, MN and OH. With the new gas discount card, you can...
    www.poptechnology.net

Drastically Lower Your Gas Prices
    Drastically lower your cost for gasoline and make a fortune helping others do...
    www.homebasedbusinessreviews.com

Energy Futures Traders
    Up to 80% accurate forecasts for Unleaded and Natural Gas, NY Light and Crude...
    www.tradertech.com

QUICK VOTE
    Will the release of oil from the nations's strategic reserve affect gasoline prices?
    Push them lower
    Higher regardless
    Too early to say

View results

Video More video

With gas prices climbing, CNN/Money's Allen Wastler shows you how to stretch your dollars at the pump. (August 31)
    Play video

Video More video

Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman says the U.S. will release oil from the nation's Strategic Petroleum Reserve to help refiners hurt by Katrina. (August 31)
    Play video

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Consumers can expect retail gas prices to rise to $4 a gallon soon but whether they stay there depends on the long-term damage to oil facilities from Hurricane Katrina, oil and gas analysts said Wednesday.

"There's no question gas will hit $4 a gallon," Ben Brockwell, director of pricing at the Oil Price Information Service, said. "The question is how high will it go and how long will it last?"

OPIS tracks wholesale and retail oil prices and provides pricing information for AAA's daily reports on fuel prices.

Brockwell said with gasoline prices now exceeding $3 a gallon before even reaching the wholesale level, it "doesn't take a genius" to expect retail prices to hit $4 a gallon soon.

"Consumers haven't seen the worst of it yet," Brockwell said.

He expects consumers in the Southeast and Northeast to be pinched first, following the impact of Hurricane Katrina on the Gulf Coast region.

Katrina pressures gas supplies
    Katrina forced operators to close more than a tenth of the country's refining capacity and a quarter of its oil production, which sent gasoline prices surging.

Two major pipelines that supply gasoline to key terminals and distribution centers along the Eastern U.S. were shut down due to power outages caused by the storm. (Video of Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman discussing U.S. plans to tap strategic oil reserve to help refiners -- 4:16. Click here to watch).

Colonial Pipeline said it hopes to be back in partial operation soon, while the date of Plantation Pipeline's restart is not clear. Each day the pipelines are closed, supplies get backlogged and distribution centers must rely on reserves.

"With this kind of hiccup in refinery capacity, in stretched markets like California, you could see over $4 a gallon in gas," Evan Smith, an analyst at U.S. Global Investors, told CNN/Money.

While it's still too early to fully assess the damage caused by Katrina, efforts to build up inventories of crude oil, natural gas and other products like gasoline will be set back by the storm, according to Nariman Behravesh, chief economist at Global Insight.

In a research note, Behravesh laid out a worst-case scenario that puts average prices for regular unleaded gasoline at about $3.50 a gallon for the next four to six months.

"The impact on consumer spending in such a scenario would be very dramatic, cutting the growth rate by as much as 3 percent and pushing real GDP growth in the fourth quarter closer to zero," he wrote.

In a best-case scenario, he forecast retail pump prices to peak at $3 a gallon for a couple of months, but then fall back to around $2.50 by year-end.

The nationwide average price for a gallon of regular unleaded hit a fresh high of $2.619 Wednesday, according to AAA, the largest U.S. motorist organization, formerly known as the American Automobile Association.

Average gasoline prices have gained 40 percent in the last year.

Prices for crude oil are also up sharply and are currently hovering near record highs just under $70 a barrel.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

this site is usually worthwhile for finding cheaper prices in the Dayton area:

www.daytongasprices.com

It's reliant upon consumers posting prices they see, but I use it all the time to try and find the cheapest station near where I work or live. Today, though, this site has been up and down, probably because prices skyrocketing. Today is the first time I've ever had any trouble accessing the site though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    this site is usually worthwhile for finding cheaper prices in the Dayton area:

www.daytongasprices.com

It's reliant upon consumers posting prices they see, but I use it all the time to try and find the cheapest station near where I work or live. Today, though, this site has been up and down, probably because prices skyrocketing. Today is the first time I've ever had any trouble accessing the site though.
    You can use that website for anywhere, just type in the location. I use it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I didn't and I knew I should've.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

A good friend of mine runs a station here in town and he said don't even worry about $3.00. $4.00 and $5.00 is what you need to be worried about.....soon.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

So, did anyone else watch the FX mini-series "Oil Storm" this summer...?

This is almost creepy.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    So, did anyone else watch the FX mini-series "Oil Storm" this summer...?

This is almost creepy.
    I love Hollywood. Not.

Hey, here's a simple thing. Don't buy gas. Carpool. Watch your driving habits.

Will prices go up, probably - someone (media related) would cause a crisis.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I got mine at 2.59/gallon here as well, same station went up to 3.09 today.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash4be.htm

President Bush is considering an address to the nation asking citizens to conserve energy, a top White House source says.

Bush ordered the release of oil from federal petroleum reserves to help refiners affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Bush returned to Washington on Wednesday to oversee the federal response to the historic disaster. He plans to coordinate federal efforts, across more than a dozen agencies, to assist hurricane victims.

"Still undecided is whether or not to call for a nationwide effort to reduce energy consumption during this emergency," a top Bush source explains. "It is seriously being considered."

A second White House source says there are no plans for the president to address the country on gas.

Developing...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?