Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: According to Photo Captioners: White people "find," Black people "loot"

Re: According to Photo Captioners: White people "find," Black people "loot"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    It's not just the news. Now New Orleans police have been siphoned away from rescue duty to go on "protect rich peoples' possessions" duty. :thumbdown
    Makes sense. Instead of focusing on the criminal and incredibly disgusting acts of the looters blame the rich people. Surprising view.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It is not just about the material possesions. The problem with the looting is that it signals the absence of the rule of law. Scavenging groceries is self preservation. Being shot by a thug because he likes the necklace that you just stole, and he wants it himself, is insane. Today these very shortsighted fools are gathering possesions, like TV's and Jewelry, and 57 Aaron Brooks Bobbleheads. By this weekend people will be being shot for their BOTTLED WATER.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Exactly.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Well the kid has a bag full of goodies and the girl has a loaf of bread.

The captions aren't indicative of anything I don't think. The bag of stuff could be for others - it looks like he's coming back from a food store. I have no real problem with that. And the fact they're from two different sources makes the point of the thread a moot one.

Is it just me or is the mobilization of people by the federal government to safeguard whats left of this great city, seeming to take an awful long time. Its not like we didn't have adequate warning. Why aren't there troops all over the place by now? Is this logistically impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Is it just me or is the mobilization of people by the federal government to safeguard whats left of this great city, seeming to take an awful long time. Its not like we didn't have adequate warning. Why aren't there troops all over the place by now? Is this logistically impossible?
    this has been bothering me, as well. i do know some efforts are being made, but these are our own countrymen in peril - should we not make sure their safety is priority one? once it became apparent this storm was targetting New Orleans, shouldn't we have been on the ready - i would rather much watch us overprepare for such events.
    i remember after the tsunami hit, hearing all of the reports of what went on afterwards...people shook their heads, saying "that would never happen here, not in America". yet...here we are.
    I can only hope this ugliness ends soon, and that we learn from our mistakes.

There are churches, all over the country, that could house people and take care of them for a while. It's time that the churches open their doors and love these folks, rather than sending a sandwich on a paper plate. These folks need to be taken care of and shown the love that Jesus Christ represents.

Interesting that I just heard that the evacuation of the Superdome has been halted because some idiots are firing shots at Military helicopters.

The reason that the police have to be pulled off or search and rescue to looters is because there are reports of armed bands of men roaming around looting everything. There are also cars being stolen left and right (I guess those not damaged by flood water). I think it is horrid that we even have to consider sending police to take care of this. There was a report that the looters were heading into the CHILDREN"S HOSPITAL in New Orleans. The cops stopped them from going in. So I don't want any people on here saying that we shouldn't worry about material possessions. They showed one black couple going home, I think in Mississippi, to find that there home was still standing. They went in, came out and stated that anything of value was gone. Computers, antiques, all gone. Catastrophes bring out the best in the most people and the worst in a few. I understand people taking bread, water, chips, pop and other non-perishables. Even clothing, shoes and stuff I can see when hope looks lost. TV's, DVD players, radios, Playstations. Where the hell do these morons think they are going to play them. There is no electricity. It's not like they can get on E-bay either and try to sell this stuff. I don't get it. I'm also not there, but I endured the massive flooding up here in the Ohio Valley last September. That didn't happen here.

More pictures of looters or are they finders?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican

I think the preferred term is "scavengers".
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The looting is happening because the police have no communications infrastructure in place to respond to it. The Interlocutor blog I posted says that without communications, there is little command and control in the police forces.

Sadly, this is proving to be a real case study for how important communication tools are for maintaining law and order, as well as the fabric of society.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican

They're a whole different species known as gougers.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    The looting is happening because the police have no communications infrastructure in place to respond to it. The Interlocutor blog I posted says that without communications, there is little command and control in the police forces.

Sadly, this is proving to be a real case study for how important communication tools are for maintaining law and order, as well as the fabric of society.
    Yes, this was a lesson learned during 9/11. It's been 4 years, but nothing has done. Coast Guard, local police, federal law enforcement, the military, etc, all operate different radio systems. There are devices that control centers can use that tie in all different radio communications so personnel on the ground can communicate with each other. (Where are they?) It's sad that 4 years after 9/11, we aren't prepared any better for an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    It's not just the news. Now New Orleans police have been siphoned away from rescue duty to go on "protect rich peoples' possessions" duty. :thumbdown
    Blame the morons that are going around looting. The radio this morning claimed that someone was shot over an arguement over a bag of ice. If humans didn't behave like animals, there wouldn't be a need for the police to distracted by protecting people. It's a shame they have to send National Guard people down there to prevent anarchy.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Blame the morons that are going around looting. The radio this morning claimed that someone was shot over an arguement over a bag of ice. If humans didn't behave like animals, there wouldn't be a need for the police to distracted by protecting people. It's a shame they have to send National Guard people down there to prevent anarchy.
    It's a shame to send them prevent anarchy, but it's also a shame not too when they were needed.

Turn Off Ads?