Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Slacker Colleges

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Top Slacker Colleges

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/depart...le=never_study

Top 10 Schools Where Students (Almost) Never Study
    Article provided by The Princeton Review

Don't go advertising this fact to your parents, but the college years aren't only about keeping your nose to the grindstone. The Princeton Review's annual survey of college students shows that the student body at these ten schools perennially have more on their mind than just studying.

1. University of Mississippi (Oxford, Mississippi)
    For many, University of Mississippi--"Ole Miss" to friends--is as much a lifestyle choice as an academic one. "The best aspect of Ole Miss is the southern pride and the beauty that you experience," explains one undergrad. While a demanding education can certainly be had at Ole Miss, it's also possible to glide through. "A lot of students don't come here to get an education. That's a major problem, but probably not the university's fault," writes one undergrad.

Students who considered Ole Miss also looked at Florida State, Mississippi State, Southern Methodist University, and Tulane University.

2. Ohio University-Athens (Athens, Ohio)
    The university's "very laid-back and friendly" undergrads can "usually be found in sweats and flip-flops generally all year round. We have a very casual atmosphere." It's "the perfect mixture of business with pleasure," students tell us, adding, "We get the work done on the weekdays so we can party hard on the weekends." Most agree that OU is "a rip-roaring good-time party school."

Students who considered Ohio State also looked at Indiana University-Bloomington, Kent State University, Miami University, and Penn State University.

3. St. Bonaventure University (St. Bonaventure, New York)
    Saint Bonaventure was a 13th-century bishop. Translated, his name means, "Oh, good fortune!" If you ask students at St. Bonaventure University, they'll tell you that, when it comes to socializing, it's an apt name indeed.

Students who considered St. Bonaventure also looked at Allegheny College, Canisius College, Fairfield University, and Quinnipiac University.

4. University of Idaho (Moscow, Idaho)
    The most common descriptors of the student population at Idaho would have to be "laid-back" and "easygoing." Many people seem perfectly content, in an "atmosphere that allows the students to be active within the community." Other mellowed-out students concur, with the sentiment "I like to have a laid-back lifestyle, and I am able to do it here."

Students who considered University of Idaho also looked at Albertson College of Idaho, University of Montana-Missoula, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, and University of Wyoming.

5. State University of New York at Albany (Albany, New York)
    Many students warn that "Albany is a good school, but the partying can take over your normal good student. You have to be mature to learn to balance both." Says one student, "Albany puts a lot of responsibility on the student; there is no hand-holding. Professors are available, resources are accessible, and involvement is possible, but it is entirely on the student to sink or swim."

Students who considered SUNY at Albany also looked at SUNY at Binghamton, SUNY College at New Paltz, Syracuse University, and University of Connecticut.

6. Emerson College (Boston, Massachusetts)
    "Life at Emerson revolves around activities at the school," students report and add that "most people are usually working on a theater piece or a television show, or some other kind of art that relates to their education, but also counts as their fun activity." You may not write as many term papers as you would at another school, but that doesn't mean you won't work hard. One student explains, "While at larger schools you may write 20-page term papers at the end of every course, at Emerson you're more likely to do a video. They take as long, trust me."

Students who considered Emerson also looked at Boston University, Fordham University, Hampshire College, and Northeastern University.

7. Florida State University (Tallahassee, Florida)
    "It is all about having a good time while getting a great education" at FSU, and most students figure out how to juggle both tasks. Undergraduates report that Seminoles "are very focused on classes during the week. However, when the weekends roll around, it is all about football (in the fall) and partying! FSU students know how to have a good time, and there is always a party going on."

Students who considered Florida State also looked at Auburn University, Florida A&M University, Florida International University, and University of Miami.

8. Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge, Louisiana)
    In some ways, LSU is a victim of its own success. The school devotes considerable effort and resources to its football team, with consistently excellent results. Unfortunately, in the process, the university has created the impression among many students that it is "a football school with an academic afterthought." In general, "It is up to the student to succeed, and sometimes that means doing it on your own and teaching yourself."

Students who considered LSU also looked at Baylor University, Rice University, University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa, and University of New Orleans.

9. University of Massachusetts-Amherst (Amherst, Massachusetts)
    Endless extracurricular options, academic and otherwise, are available to U Mass Amherst students. The university is home to so many parties that some students refer to the school as "ZooMass." Some appreciate this choice provided by the school: "The ability to choose to party every night or advance one's intellect with the incredible minds that are around (both students and professors alike)."

Students who considered U Mass also looked at Boston College, Cornell University, University of Connecticut, and University of Hartford.

10. Auburn University (Auburn, Alabama)
    Students are largely satisfied with Auburn's academics, although they are happily surprised by the academic excellence--they choose Auburn not for its academic reputation but for the allure of its "old Southern values and traditions." Although many people at Auburn University feel that "the athletic program and the alumni program are the biggest strengths" of the school, the academics are nothing to be bashful about.

Students who considered Auburn also looked at Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Georgia, University of Mississippi, and University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Top Slacker Colleges

Now we know why O'Brien wasn't prepared properly to be a GM.

Where was he "educated?"

Not shocked at any of these.
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Not shocked to see that LSU students don't regularly consider Tulane University as an alternative.

Dumb as they may be, even your average "Bayou Bengal" still knows his own limitations.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Two errors leaped of the page at me; makes me wonder how many others there may be:

St. Bonaventure is located in Olean, NY... not St. Bonaventure, NY.

In the blurb about Ohio University, the writer incorrectly states that students at Ohio State also looked at....
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 09-01-2005 at 07:14 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Maybe the writer went to one of these schools
    Go Gators!

Retired

What, no UC? I'm sure Nancy Zimpher is disappointed.

Athens was a great 7 years of my life.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Athens was a great 7 years of my life.
    And a great four years of mine.

I read an article a week or two ago about this listing, although the article was called the Top 10 Party schools. Anyway, students at OU were mad that they weren't No. 1.

They still have reason to be proud: OU is the only Ohio school in the top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    And a great four years of mine.

I read an article a week or two ago about this listing, although the article was called the Top 10 Party schools. Anyway, students at OU were mad that they weren't No. 1.

They still have reason to be proud: OU is the only Ohio school in the top 20.
    Did you see they hired Frank Solich from Nebraska to be the new football coach?

he actually thinks they could *cough* win at OU.

Winning is winning 1 game..I think he can do it
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Winning is winning 1 game..I think he can do it
    1986 - 0-8
    1987 - 0-8
    1988 - 4-3-1
    1989 - 1-6-1
    1990 - 0-7-1
    1991 - 1-6-1
    1992 - 1-7

I went to 1 game the entire time I was there. left at halftime.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Solich can run the option and win a few games. Have faith - he's a good coach. He's also not stupid. You may be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Solich can run the option and win a few games. Have faith - he's a good coach. He's also not stupid. You may be surprised.
    I think it's great really. I do.

Turn Off Ads?