Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ahhh, the oil companies

Re: Ahhh, the oil companies

Hey, I've been hearing for weeks that gas would hit $3.00+ a gallon during the labor day weekend. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who heard that being talked about. Now the oil companies have a patsy named Katrina that they can pin the rise in price on.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    $36 bucks for my Subaru, it was bone dry. 2 years ago that was a $24 fill up.
    Mine was bone dry too. I was lucky to have made it after picking up the boy at at school.

We're taking the kids up to Cedar Point this weekend. The kids said they want to do their part and help out, and want to use their allowances to pay for the gas.

There is hope for these kids yet.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The past week has been a testament to what happens when you mess with the enviroment.
    Not disagreeing totoally with what you are saying woy; but I think the environment just "messed" back with us didn't it? Could that have been controlled other then never settling/developing this coastal region as it has (and well below sea level) and always facing the looming risk of Mother Nature's wrath?

Man, throughout his history, has been able to overcome and co-exist with environmental "roadblocks" and hazards via engineering and design.

But then, I wouldn't advice building a village south of a volcano either.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-02-2005 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Gah!

You drive a Sable???

(Kidding...)
    Hey Ben - I currently own two Sables (both paid for). I'm actually on my 3rd.

We bought our first Sable brand new back in '86 and drove it for 17 years, and over 200,000 miles. I'm not one who believes in going out and buying a new car every few years. I don't put much into automobiles like many do. They are simply to get me from point "A" to point "B".

I always make sure the wife and kids have something solid and reliable, while I inherit the "oldies" as work cars. I enjoy living dangerously. :

It's also nice not having a car payment.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I'll second that!
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I will third that.

Although with gas prices now what they are, I feel liek I have two car payments...

God help me, I'm driving from DC to Columbus today. I just hope there is enough gas to get me there.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I will third that.

Although with gas prices now what they are, I feel liek I have two car payments...

God help me, I'm driving from DC to Columbus today. I just hope there is enough gas to get me there.
    Interesting here in my neck of the woods - the price went from 3.49 overnight to 3.09

I think it was "shock" to see what the other stations in the area would have done.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Sable is actually a Mercury....

I have a Buick...and I'm not old....I think...
    Oops.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Its odd...here in Columbus, All I see is 3.09 everywhere...its like it was capped or something...I cant claim I haven't seen every gas station but thats just been my experience.
    Last edited by smith288; 09-02-2005 at 11:03 AM. Reason: have to haven't

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Its odd...here in Columbus, All I see is 3.09 everywhere...its like it was capped or something...I cant claim I have seen every gas station but thats just been my experience.
    Wow, that's more than I paid in DC.

What's up with that?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    The fundamental layout of American society, with residential areas often seperated by great lengths from areas in which people work, make Americans more dependant on gasoline than many foriegn nations.

There is no cheap and effective mass transit system for many people in America, making them totally dependant on their automobiles. We, as a nation, are now reaping what we have NOT sown when it comes to consistent aversion to the initial costs involved for mass transit.
    True, though Europe did start out with a clustered population model dating back thousands of years around which they could build an effective public transit system. Smaller nations also makes it easier to administer transportation down to the local level.

Our gas dependency also extends to consumer goods. Everything, and I do mean everything, in this country gets to where it ends up by way of a truck. That's why gas prices must stay low. The unit cost of everything skyrockets when gas prices skyrocket. We saw it happen in the late 1970s where exploding gas prices created a bottleneck inflation.

Because gas prices have stayed low, other markets (housing, college tuition, entertainment/sporting events) have been able to boost their prices, always pushing to the front edge of what the market will bear. If we had to pay significantly higher prices for food, household goods and clothing, then those other markets would go into steep decline.
    Last edited by M2; 09-02-2005 at 12:30 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?