Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Music & Movie Dowloading Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Music & Movie Dowloading Question

Not really hip on this, so I want to make sure any website I join or subscribe to I'm doing so legally, and with the permission of those who hold the copyrights.

I hate getting sued.

What are some good ones that some of you may use? My son wants to download and burn music CDs - and I'd like to know if there are any that allow you to download movies, and where you pay a subscription fee.

Would love to find the second season of Deadwood.

But I want it to be legit (I don't look good in stripes).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Re: Music & Movie Dowloading Question

Try allofmp3.com for music. It's a legal pay-per-song site where you can get decent quality MP3s for roughly 15 cents each. CD quality runs about 25 cents per song. You pay into your account via credit card, and they deduct money from the account for each song you download. They also let you listen to full versions of the songs before you buy -- not 15 second snippets like other sites.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Try allofmp3.com for music. It's a legal pay-per-song site
    Do a Google search for "allofmp3 legal"

The resulting links show that the legality of that site is controversial, to say the least.

Since the Russians who run allofmp3 aren't sending the recording artists any money, I tend to side with the crowd who deems it illegal. Personally, I wouldn't want my personal information to be in their database when the stormtroopers from Interpol break in and seize their computers.

In my wholly biased, Apple-loving opinion, the iTunes music store is the way to go if you have an iPod or only want to play downloaded songs on the computer.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Try allofmp3.com for music. It's a legal pay-per-song site where you can get decent quality MP3s for roughly 15 cents each. CD quality runs about 25 cents per song. You pay into your account via credit card, and they deduct money from the account for each song you download. They also let you listen to full versions of the songs before you buy -- not 15 second snippets like other sites.
    So, have you used that site extensively, Johnny? I'm assuming you have. I found it a few months ago, but was scared off by the fact that it's a Russian site, and 1) wasn't sure it was really legal and 2) was uneasy about sharing my credit card with someone not bound by U.S. laws. Is the site widely accepted as being safe?

Also, (so I don't have to search through the FAQ) is it necessary to download and install software, or can you just click and download?

Thanks!

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I jjust found the entire season of Deadwood (season 2) on eBay. That has to be an illegal bootleg doesn't it? Season 2 has never been released has it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Deadwood-Second-...QQcmdZViewItem
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'd hold off on bidding for that Deadwood DVD. Looks pretty shady to me.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Thats what I think too Johnny. I sent the seller an email. I want to see the 2nd season real bad - but not that bad. I wish HBO would re-broadcast it. They picked it up for a 3rd season.

I use Real Rhapsody, best thing to happen to music in a long, long time.

I also like Apple's Itunes MP3 software for playing and burning MP3's on my hard drive (free).

http://www.real.com/rhapsody/

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
    Last edited by CrackerJack; 09-01-2005 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    I use Real Rhapsody, best thing to happen to music in a long, long time.
    Agreed!
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

So, have you used that site extensively, Johnny? I'm assuming you have. I found it a few months ago, but was scared off by the fact that it's a Russian site, and 1) wasn't sure it was really legal and 2) was uneasy about sharing my credit card with someone not bound by U.S. laws. Is the site widely accepted as being safe?

Also, (so I don't have to search through the FAQ) is it necessary to download and install software, or can you just click and download?
    1) I did as Unassisted suggested and Googled "allofmp3.com legal." There is indeed some controversy, but a lot of the articles I read reasoned that since users are purchasing the MP3s in good faith, we are not liable for any damages. See this article from Slate.msn.com http://slate.msn.com/id/2115868/. The people running the site claim that they purchased the licenses for the music they distribute. If the courts decide against them, they will be the ones liable, not the consumers.

That said, I'm still monitoring my credit card for unauthorized charges (none found yet).

But you should do some research on your own and decide for yourself. I'd hate to steer people in the wrong direction.

2) When I signed up for the site, I received 20 cents of free credit. They didn't ask for a credit card number right away. I picked a song and downloaded it -- it was basically a click and file save with no Peer-to-Peer software required.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 09-02-2005 at 12:52 AM.

You can legally download songs off from Wal-Mart's website for $.88 a song, which isn't too bad. Ten songs for $8.80 is cheaper than a CD.

http://www.walmart.com/music?path=0%3A4104&dept=4104
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Use Emule.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

So it look like it either Rhapsody or iTunes huh? Thanks all. I'll check them out. My son does not have an ipod; but simply likes to download/listen to them on the computer. And then, if he likes them, burn them to disk.

What he really gets into though, is listening to the background music from alot of different video games.

Turn Off Ads?