Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: House Speaker: Rebuilding N.O. doesn't make sense

Re: House Speaker: Rebuilding N.O. doesn't make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Pragmatism schmagmatism. Vita brevis, ars longa.
    I hear you, by the same token I've tired of politicians telling people what they want to hear.

This is a horrible, awful disaster compounded by the potentiality that we can't bring New Orleans back. People's backsides are wet enough down there without pols applyling lip moisture.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I hear you, by the same token I've tired of politicians telling people what they want to hear.

This is a horrible, awful disaster compounded by the potentiality that we can't bring New Orleans back. People's backsides are wet enough down there without pols applyling lip moisture.
    Oh, I appreciate honesty. I, quixotically or not, demand it of my politicians. But occasionally saying the right thing actually lines up with what the right thing is. It's in the doing that people falter.

We could wall off the area and turn it into a prison compound.

"I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    From a strictly engineering/city planning standpoint, this is a fair question to be asked.
    supposedly the original French engineer pointed out it was a horrible place to put a settlement.

They live in a giant man-made bowl below the level of the surrounding waters. It will happen again.

Now was NOT the time to ask the question.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    supposedly the original French engineer pointed out it was a horrible place to put a settlement.

They live in a giant man-made bowl below the level of the surrounding waters. It will happen again.

Now was NOT the time to ask the question.
    That would be Adrien de Pauger - I remember hearing something as well a long time ago. Tried to Google some info on that statement, but I didn't have any succes.

From what I have read, erosion is the primary reason the area is lower than it once was. The Corps of Engineers in their efforts to minimize floods from the Mississippi have created a situation where the river silt that historically has maintained the landscape by replenishing what is lost to erosion is now being pumped straight into the Gulf.

As someone who has had the pleasure to live in Holland for two years. I can personnally say I have never experience a Hurricane in Holland. And don't think there has ever been one in the last 2000 years, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    From what I have read, erosion is the primary reason the area is lower than it once was.
    the area is slowly settling because it is built on deposited sediment

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    the area is slowly settling because it is built on deposited sediment
    Same problems they are having now in Venice, Italy, where many of the historical buildings are slowly over time, sinking into the water.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I posted this in the Katrina thread when this topic was first raised, so I guess I'll post it here.

I have to admit that I expected some of this. I saw Louisiana's US Sen. Mary Landrieu tell reporters at a news conference yesterday that her office was putting together an aid package with a "really big number" of dollars in the request. She emphasized the "number" aspect of the pending legislation so intensely and zealously that it felt more like she was intending to take advantage of the opportunity to bring home some pork rather than to help the suffering and rebuild the state. Her Republican counterpart, Senator Vitter's remarks were noticeably less focused on the "number" aspect.

I feel sorry for Louisiana, but I don't want to hand the state (or the IMO, similarly tactless Mary Landrieu) a blank check. Put some good engineering and risk analysis minds to work on this situation and rebuild responsibly. This situation is not an excuse for the gravy train that Senator Landrieu was proposing.
    /r/reds

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I was just thinking that if an asteroid hit the earth, we would probably deserve it for taking up residence in the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    I was just thinking that if an asteroid hit the earth, we would probably deserve it for taking up residence in the universe.
    What the heck were we thinking?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    What the heck were we thinking?
    Blame the Dinosaurs!

Keith Olberman just said it maybe decades before New Orleans is habitable again.

My question is this:

By the time we rebuild the city sufficienty so that people can resume their pre-hurricane lives, will people even want to move back?

If we are talking five years down the road, chances are that many of these refugees will have already re-established themselves elsewhere. Why go back? Their homes will have moved elsewhere.

Edit: I realize this sounds a little insensitive and that is not my intention. I am just curious if it is worthwhile to rebuild if many of the people won't be returning.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-01-2005 at 08:51 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?